3D Movies on Demand

GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
Forum Member
✭✭✭
starts today for those with 3D TV's and a HD Box

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1475277&highlight=

only film available at the moment is Streetdance 3D at £5.99

Comments

• welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why would anyone want to sit in their lounge with a pair of 3D glasses on - especially people like me who already wear glasses or are they going to be bringing out prescription 3D glasses next
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    why would anyone want to sit in their lounge with a pair of 3D glasses on - especially people like me who already wear glasses or are they going to be bringing out prescription 3D glasses next

Im sure i read that Real D were in talks with a maker of glasses to do just that,so it wouldn't surprise me that the TV makers would be planning something similar
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the TV makers are planning goes as follows

3D TV with Glasses (buy a new TV+ blu ray player)

3D TV without glasses (buy a new TV)

3D TV with unrestricted viewing angle (Buy a new TV)

"Real" HD 3D TV (Buy a new TV and Blu ray player)

This cycle will take around 8 years
  • digikingdigiking Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    this is all a big con and surely all modern tv's are capable of showing 3d and i do not understand why you would have to buy a new tv.
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly my thoughts......
  • stafsstafs Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a fellow glasses wearer, I've never had any problem wearing a pair of 3D glasses over the top of my normal ones, but I have the perfect solution for people like you who find it uncomfortable. Clip-ons! :p
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the way the register reported this story:
    Virgin Media is to join Sky and launch a channel of 3D content for the one bloke who bought a 3D TV.

Having lashed out a grand or three on said screen, plus a couple of hundred pounds more for the specs, he can now have the pleasure of paying VM for a subscription and V HD or V+ HD set-top box.

The operator's 3D movies with then be available for six-quid a pop on top of that though VM's on-demand rental service.
  • JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digiking wrote: »
    this is all a big con and surely all modern tv's are capable of showing 3d and i do not understand why you would have to buy a new tv.

i seem to remember it being because Plasmas and LCDs frame rates weren't good enough to work with Field Sequential systems,Thats why they are now releasing 3DTV's

Personally id much rather play the waiting game with this first gen of 3DTV's,as the next generation always seems to be better than the first
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because your TV needs to suppor 120Hz picture and also drive the glasses (for active systems) or poloarise the screen (for passive systems).
  • Jez_GafysJez_Gafys Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Yes a lot of a lcd tvs on the market at the moment are only 60Hz. Yes many of them claim to be 100Hz, 120Hz even 600Hz but non of them actually accept an imput higher then 60Hz.

3D TVs should be able to accept a true 120hz input, when using Activeshutter glasses on a 60hz screen you would notice constant flicker as the image for each eye is displayed at 30Hz. So 120Hz would be able to provide 60Hz to each high (the minimum recommended)
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Jez_Gafys wrote: »
    Yes a lot of a lcd tvs on the market at the moment are only 60Hz. Yes many of them claim to be 100Hz, 120Hz even 600Hz but non of them actually accept an imput higher then 60Hz.

3D TVs should be able to accept a true 120hz input, when using Activeshutter glasses on a 60hz screen you would notice constant flicker as the image for each eye is displayed at 30Hz. So 120Hz would be able to provide 60Hz to each high (the minimum recommended)
    They don't accept anything more than 60Hz because that's what the PAL standard is.

The 100Hz/120Hz etc is the TV refreshing the same frame more than once, which reduces flicker

Blu-Ray is sometimes actually encoded with 24Hz, because that matches the film frames per second encoded on the disc - which the TV then may up to a multiple e.g 48Hz or 96Hz (or 120Hz)

Also as far as I'm aware a 3D tv may well display a 60Hz video at 120Hz, so when it's displayed for the active shutter glasses it's at 60Hz for each eye
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has virgin got the money to give free 3D glasses to all ???
    As I will need three pairs in my home and if I pay for a film I wish all in my home to be able to see it too and is this the end of families and friends having a night in with some food & drinks with a film or too ???? With no glasses spare then how do others see the shows / films ?

Also can any one tell me if the brain can take all a 3D images that flash over our screens ?

Will there be more people eye troubles with the HD and 3D together also will the 3D damage the LCD screens with so much data going over it?

Virgin need to spend money on better channels listings in SD & HD before spending money on 3D as this a sky item and if they wish to have 3D backed by the share markets then go ahead VIRGIN has a better system that could give so much if they us money and staff right.

Virgin could do with....
    1) More of the UK cabled.
    2) Better customer care.
    3) Better list of channels SD & HD in good order on the epg.
    4) Better reporting of services breakdowns.
    ..........?????
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    Virgin need to spend money on better channels listings in SD & HD before spending money on 3D as this a sky item
    Actually 3D is fairly cheap to do from Virgin's end - as is shown by the fact that all the HD boxes (including the 5 year old SA V+HD) can do it

Also what do you mean 'This is Sky item'. Sky didn't invent 3D tv
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    Has virgin got the money to give free 3D glasses to all ???
    As I will need three pairs in my home and if I pay for a film I wish all in my home to be able to see it too and is this the end of families and friends having a night in with some food & drinks with a film or too ???? With no glasses spare then how do others see the shows / films ?

Also can any one tell me if the brain can take all a 3D images that flash over our screens ?

Will there be more people eye troubles with the HD and 3D together also will the 3D damage the LCD screens with so much data going over it?

Virgin need to spend money on better channels listings in SD & HD before spending money on 3D as this a sky item and if they wish to have 3D backed by the share markets then go ahead VIRGIN has a better system that could give so much if they us money and staff right.

Virgin could do with....
    1) More of the UK cabled.
    2) Better customer care.
    3) Better list of channels SD & HD in good order on the epg.
    4) Better reporting of services breakdowns.
    ..........?????

3D Glasses would be no use without a 3DTV
  • TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There isnt a problem with samsung active glasses when wearing glasses
  • TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starts today for those with 3D TV's and a HD Box

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1475277&highlight=

only film available at the moment is Streetdance 3D at £5.99

great idea BUT that film you can buy for £9.99 so people wont pay that price
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely all modern tv's are capable of showing 3d

Unfortunately not...

Actually there isn't much between the latest TVs and 3D TVs, but only 3D TVs contain the necessary circuitry to process the 3D input and separate it into 2 separate pictures for L&R eyes, and some way to display those 2 pictures - either a polarized screen or a controller for active shutter glasses.

It won't be long before most if not all new mid to high-end TVs are '3D ready' for the same reason that they all became HD ready over night - it isn't worth the manufacturers making 3D and non 3D versions of the same TV. The only option then will be whether to buy the glasses or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TAZMANUK wrote: »
    great idea BUT that film you can buy for £9.99 so people wont pay that price

you can yeah,but that would be in 2D or crappy anaglyph 3D like the DVD or Bluray,Virgin are talking the same type of 3D that 3DTV's use
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    Actually 3D is fairly cheap to do from Virgin's end - as is shown by the fact that all the HD boxes (including the 5 year old SA V+HD) can do it

Also what do you mean 'This is Sky item'. Sky didn't invent 3D tv

Of course they did! They also invented HD; Widescreen; Colour and of course, football, which clearly didn't exist before Sky. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Of course they did! They also invented HD; Widescreen; Colour and of course, football, which clearly didn't exist before Sky. ;)

Im surprised they've not took credit for the Wheel and Fire either:D
  • bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stafs wrote: »
    As a fellow glasses wearer, I've never had any problem wearing a pair of 3D glasses over the top of my normal ones, but I have the perfect solution for people like you who find it uncomfortable. Clip-ons! :p

me too - or i use my contact lenses
  • Jez_GafysJez_Gafys Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    They don't accept anything more than 60Hz because that's what the PAL standard is.

The 100Hz/120Hz etc is the TV refreshing the same frame more than once, which reduces flicker

Blu-Ray is sometimes actually encoded with 24Hz, because that matches the film frames per second encoded on the disc - which the TV then may up to a multiple e.g 48Hz or 96Hz (or 120Hz)

Also as far as I'm aware a 3D tv may well display a 60Hz video at 120Hz, so when it's displayed for the active shutter glasses it's at 60Hz for each eye

Sorry I might have been comparing it to computers where the 3D Ready 120hz monitors do actually accept a 120hz signal and dont interpolate additional frames to "smooth out" the image.

I use 3D on my pc and I am using a full 120hz input
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

I have absolutely no intention of forking out for a new tv until the current one goes bang - by which time hopefully the price of 3D-TV's will be less insane.

Mind you the issue is primarily the 3D glasses. To get the full benefit you would need to have them not only for your family, but spare ones for any guests at nearly £100 a pop a pair well they can take an exceptionally long walk over an exceedingly short pier.

I'd rather have more HD - but at the moment once Sky 1 arrives there is little more I'd want of that either.
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to congratulate Virgin Media for being so quick off the mark with this. What a difference to the slow start with HD! The techies of this world will start to take VM more seriously if they keep this up.