Smartcall

Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
Forum Member
Does anyone on here have smartcall? :confused:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/29/virgin-media-smartcall-app/

How much does it cost to add this to your package?

Comments

• ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    Does anyone on here have smartcall? :confused:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/29/virgin-media-smartcall-app/

How much does it cost to add this to your package?

Yep, it launched yesterday and it works great. And its free, it includes the "free" calls you get with your existing phone line, I don't think you are allowed to go over though, so if say you don't have mobiles included, you can't phone mobiles from it.
  • TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but have echo issues of hearing my own voice with it using galaxy s3 very annoying wont use it till thats sorted. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Downloaded it yesterday and then activated it. When you get your activation code it gives the option to update your existing package to include mobiles if you don't already have it as part of your landline package. Can see this saving a fortune if you use it abroad, but don't forget you have to be connected to a WiFi hotspot or your own network, it won't work on the cell network.

For free it's great.
  • Dave_HertsDave_Herts Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    shame you can only use it for free calls included in your phone package, im on M, so can only use smartcall at weekends, or anytime for 0800 numbers. Would be nice if you could also make chargeable calls with it too.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    I think you can.

If you look at the second screen-shot on the apps' product page (iPad | Android) there is an option to "make a normal call", which it I am interpreting as outside of your talk plan and therefore chargable.

That said, this product really makes no sense as it only works on mobile phones, with which you can make actual calls which, if you're on a contract, are included anyway.

I don't have a smart-phone; only an iPad and cheap NookHD (Android) tablet, both of which this app would be fantastic for and it won't work on either of them :mad:
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That said, this product really makes no sense as it only works on mobile phones, with which you can make actual calls which, if you're on a contract, are included anyway.
    I think its key benefits would be if you are overseas a lot and want to phone UK landlines. Alternatively, it could work for someone on a PAYG smart phone and a generous landline package.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I think you can.

If you look at the second screen-shot on the apps' product page (iPad | Android) there is an option to "make a normal call", which it I am interpreting as outside of your talk plan and therefore chargable.

I don't have a smart-phone; only an iPad and cheap NookHD (Android) tablet, both of which this app would be fantastic for and it won't work on either of them :mad:

It's great if you are abroad though. I have just downloaded it and am off to Spain at the weekend so its perfect timing. Just hoping the hotel has Wi-Fi.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you can.

I interpret that as "a normal call" i.e. not using smart call. May be wrong though. The reviews say that you can't make chargeable calls with the app.

:

Not necessarily. I am on a contract and don't get any inclusive calls. So I could use this on a weekend to make free landline calls if I'm out. Its also useful for making free 0800 calls which aren't normally included on mobiles.
    Forum Member
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    I am on a contract and don't get any inclusive calls.
    Huh? :confused: Must be the only such contract in the UK :eek:
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shebang network does a tarrif with no inclusive minutes , texts or data but it's sim only and is £3p/m.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's through my employer. They pay for line rental and business calls/texts; I pay for personal calls/texts (at a cheap rate). They also pay for my data allowance ( free worldwide :D )
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    Shebang network does a tarrif with no inclusive minutes , texts or data but it's sim only and is £3p/m.
    Not that I can see on their website. However, even if they do, what would be the point? :confused: ie What does that £3 get you?
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    It's through my employer.
    That's cheating :p
  • DonkeyDonkey Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As this piggybacks off of your home phone package, can you still use the app to ring your home phone number?

For example, if I went abroad on a business trip and wanted to ring home would it let me, or would I get an engaged tone?

Has anyone actually tried ringing their landline number using the app?
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheesh, Virgin Mobile Unlimited - £15 per month, unlimited landline calls, mobile calls, 0870, texts and internet! Who needs Smartcall?
  • Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Sheesh, Virgin Mobile Unlimited - £15 per month, unlimited landline calls, mobile calls, 0870, texts and internet! Who needs Smartcall?

Perhaps those going abroad on business who want to call home? Phone calls from abroad aren't likely to be included in the Virgin Mobile package.

As for calling home using smartcall, I think I read that three devices could use the service so it wouldn't make your home phone "engaged"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    just tried calling my landline through smartcall and it connected the call
    Forum Member
    An odd way of talking to yourself ;)
  • womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You clearly have no use for it then, but for me, it's a very handy, and free way of calling home when I need to from Cyprus.

All I need is a wi-fi signal, and my call is free.

Suppose your mobile is pay as you go ? - again, use wi-fi, and get free calls/

In my opinion, it's a very good move from Virgin and I will be making full use it it
  • DonkeyDonkey Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An odd way of talking to yourself ;)

Some of us have to check in with 'The Boss' from time to time;)
  • fozzifozzi Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded this the other day but have found that all calls drop out after 5 seconds. I have a handsfree on my car and the same thing happened on that so I have had to uninstall the app. I am guessing that is my phone rather than the app that is not working.

To Confirm:-

You can call your home number.

Make a "normal call" is using your mobile phone network.