Options

What Is This Noise In The Background Of Piano Music?

JinnyJinxedJinnyJinxed Posts: 878
Forum Member
✭✭
A friend sent me a video link and asked what a intermittent sound was in the video.

We both enjoy Piano music - and he said "In a [particular video website] Piano songs... eg those by Ludovico Einaudi, Brian Crane, etc - I keep hearing a kind of steam release sound in between notes, like a soft tssss tssss - do you know what it is?"

I asked for a link and he sent me THIS

He said you can hear it at the 1st second another at 5 to 6 and one in 11th second, and yes - there is a constant repetitive hiss sound in amongst the notes.

Any ideas what it might be?

Comments

• Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not listened, but is it a live recording. maybe it's picking up something like air con noise? or maybe it was quiet recording and needing a lot of amplification.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although the video was uploaded in 2009, do you know when the actual sound recording was made? As it sounds like good old fashioned analogue recording hiss to me.

edit, actually just googled and found some sheet music with 1999 as the copyright date, so may well have been recorded on tape depending on how modern the studio was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like maracas
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the reviews on Amazon remarks that there is a cymbal in the background. I think it's something added in the recording process, so intentional but not a real instrument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friend just sent me another LINK . Same artist, different tune, and that noise is very audible on this track, but seems like a steady repetitive hiss - actually - as Supratad said - it could well be the recording method, and to me, on this latest link, sounds rather like some of my old Vinyl records used to make.

I shall past this thread back to friend to see what he says.... although he said he hears it on other piano music too that is more modern in production.

Maybe this shall remain one of life's mysteries! lol
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I haven't listened to the links yet but I have several recordings where you can hear the noise of the pedals being pressed/depressed.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to occur as the pianist is pushing into the start of the next phrase. Is it possible that it is the rustle of his clothes? I can visualise the pianist rocking forward at those points. Having listened further, I wonder if it is caused by one of the pedals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why I didn't think of this before! I googled the man, and ended up tweeting him! lol .... he responded very quickly with:
    "On my early albums it is the sound of the damper pedal coming off and on the strings"

So there we go - mystery solved..... and the winning points go to : degsyhufc and KennedyC

LOL.

Brian Crain rocks! :D If he see's this - Thanks for replying so promptly! :D