Options

noisy fridge freezer ?

drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
Forum Member
✭✭✭
got a noisy 10yr old zanussi fridge freezer,

was thoroughly defrosted a week ago but still gives a loud swirling noise:confused:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0w6ZaHGoGfr (need to turn up volume)

any ideas, thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »
    got a noisy 10yr old zanussi fridge freezer,

was thoroughly defrosted a week ago but still gives a loud swirling noise:confused:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0w6ZaHGoGfr (need to turn up volume)

any ideas, thanks in advance
    Hi,

I have heard a lot worse.

10 year old fridge,---maybe a weak compressor struggling.
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's kind of noise is quite common in refrigerators. It's caused by convection currents in the refrigerant. It seems to be more noticable with the CFC free refrigerants they use these days.

It's nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    How long do kitchen fridges/freezers generaly last?

I've got a Zanussi fridge (with a small freezer compartment) which I bought in 1996 which is still working fine. If it had lasted ten years before failing, I'd have considered that a pretty good innings compared with how long most things last (or for technology items, are still powerful enough).

I know it can't go on forever, and indeed, I could probably save money in a few years by replacing it with a more efficient modern version, but as the thermometer I have in it says it still maintains 2-3C and the compressor only runs a small fraction of the time, it is difficult to justify replacing.

If every appliance lasted 18 years, a lot less would go into landfill. And a lot of companies would go out of business.
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    michael37 wrote: »
    That's kind of noise is quite common in refrigerators. It's caused by convection currents in the refrigerant. It seems to be more noticable with the CFC free refrigerants they use these days.

It's nothing to worry about.

but it wasn't like that before.. its only recently its got noisy
  • Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 10 year old fridge freezer became unbearably loud. I traced it to the fan that runs in the freezer compartment to keep it frost free, specifically the motor that drives the fan. I assume the bearings had gone in it or something.

I found the part online at espares and replaced it and now it's as quiet as the day I bought it.

Take all the shelves out when it's making the noise and get your head inside and see if you can figure out where exactly it's coming from. MIne had a fake back inside that came off with a couple of screws to reveal the fan.