The Alexandra Burke Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• beastieletsgobeastieletsgo Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why she was dropped in the first place! She's very talented it was stupid to drop her!

Thing is with alex, like she herself said, shes very bad at making decisions. I know Ill get some hate for this but sometimes I think she bigger than she actually is and therefore must have rejected a few labels prior to signing.
    A label on signs you on a temporary contract to see what goods you can come up with in the studio and then has the right to drop you. I think thats what happened with defjam.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is with alex, like she herself said, shes very bad at making decisions. I know Ill get some hate for this but sometimes I think she bigger than she actually is and therefore must have rejected a few labels prior to signing.
    A label on signs you on a temporary contract to see what goods you can come up with in the studio and then has the right to drop you. I think thats what happened with defjam.

I don't think that's what happened. She was signed to Syco and had a big successful first era. She was signed to Epic in the U.S as well. She recorded her second album and worked with very big names, but Syco put her on hold for ages and had her not releasing anything. She then obviously started to worry, and she had a right to worry judging by Syco's history...she probably feared that she'd be given the Shayne Ward treatment. She voiced how she felt and it was mutually agreed that she could be released from the label (her and Simon are still on good terms today). She then signed to RCA, but Syco refused to let her have the songs she recorded for her second album. She hadn't released any music for quite a while so RCA obviously would have wanted to get something out there fast...which explains the rush released second album full of dance music that we ended up with. That era didn't go well and it had been quite a while since the success during her first album...all of that plus the fact that Epic in the U.S had a lot going on behind the scenes I think contributed to Epic releasing her from the U.S contract...plus no effort had been made from Syco to have her releasing anything in the U.S, so EPIC probably thought it was pointless keeping her on their books.

Obviously she was still signed to RCA in the UK, but as we all know they have serious financial issues. After what happened with album two, I think she decided to concentrate on the U.S awhich her fans were begging her to do and she managed to get a new U.S deal (who with we still don't know but she definiteley had one). She spent a lot of time recording an album for the U.S, worked with big names and everything was going well, but then something else went wrong...who knows what happened but something did go wrong and it looks like the U.S deal didn't work out. She then found new management with KWL and things seemed to be going well...I think she also found an independent label and continued recording her third album. Then she was offered The Bodyguard and I think KWL advsied her to accept...they were obviously happy she went ahaead with it as they were flying over here to visit her at one point. KWL aren't as big and not that financially well off anymore I don't think, and I'd say they had to let her go due to these issues...that's the only explanation as they're not just going to drop her after spending so much time on her...I think it was financial issues. Anyway, cut to today and I think she has new management but no label...or if she does I think that it's an independent one definitely.

It's very sad and unfortunate what has happened, but I don't think it's all her fault...she was absolutely right to leave Syco as they're an awful label and would have done nothing with her, just left her on the shelf. If she had stayed with them, we would all be here right now moaning about them not bothering with her or them giving her awful music to release. I'd rather her be in the position she is currently in than have a string of tacky and rubbish songs in her back catalogue that people take the p*** out of. When people think of the big ones from the X Factor, Leona and Alexandra are always laudered as the best. Leona has signed to Island Records. Depedning on how that goes, who knows what that might inspire the label to do in the future for Alex. Or perhaps even another label. I think in the next couple of years the X Factor bubble will really begin to burst and I think that may help a lot of atlented ex contestants loose the god awful X Factor tag that hangs over them and give them some sort of chance at signing to someone decent. I think label's are put off touching anyone who has been involevd with Syco.
  • NiiiiiiikNiiiiiiik Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think there's a gap here though.

Alex can be a UK "urban" R&B Girl if the songs are mixed with commercial enough beats to sell over here, slightly more "urban" than Ariana but with a pop/commercial edge to break through. Alex could have lanes previously dominated (for moments) by Alesha Dixon and Jamelia. The UK is crying for a diva here to take over that lane, it's quite shocking that a place is still crying out to be filled, because in theory it's been around 7 years since Alex has been out and even longer since Jamelia or Alesha fully had that lane. Tamera's launch is imminent and if all the cards on sycos end stick, the lane may just have its leading lady.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Niiiiiiik wrote: »
    I still think there's a gap here though.

Alex can be a UK "urban" R&B Girl if the songs are mixed with commercial enough beats to sell over here, slightly more "urban" than Ariana but with a pop/commercial edge to break through. Alex could have lanes previously dominated (for moments) by Alesha Dixon and Jamelia. The UK is crying for a diva here to take over that lane, it's quite shocking that a place is still crying out to be filled, because in theory it's been around 7 years since Alex has been out and even longer since Jamelia or Alesha fully had that lane. Tamera's launch is imminent and if all the cards on sycos end stick, the lane may just have its leading lady.

I disagree with this. I know I've said this so many times on this thread before, but people voted for her on the X Factor after seeing her belt out Whitney, Mariah, Christina, Beyonce, Toni Braxton...big huge songs which showed off her voice by huge artists...she appealed to all ages when she was on the X Factor. Whe Overcome came out though, the music on there was completely different to the sort of thing she was doing when on the show...she was a a different artist to what people voted for. She needed to release huge, big songs which shwoed off her vocals like crazy, both ballads and up tempos...songs which didn't just appeal to a young market. Overcome was a good debut album, but it was just way too different to what people voted for on the show. I think this may have alienated a lot of people who voted for her. I know the album sold well, but I think a lot of that was down to her launch. I wasn't a big fan of the album at all or the singles...I only bought it because I like her and wanted to support her. I think this is proven by the absolutely huge decline in sales for album two. I'm happy her first album did well, but it was the wrong direction to go in. Not her fault that, that's down to Syco...she wouldn't have had much say. As for Aleesha Dixon and Jamelia, I disagree...neither of them ever dominated any lane in the music industry at all...they were just females who released pop songs, most of which were throwaway tat. Jamelia's 'Superstar' was good, but it's hardly going to be remembered in years to come as a great song.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    I agree with Master Ozzy. Most of this is stuff out of her control, and tbh, if any label is serious about you, THEY put the work in. It's to their benefit to do so (see Ella Henderson). She may make bad decisions, but this work involves millions of dollars potentially. No label leaves decisions down to the artist, people are hired to make those choices...it's a business. She should be a little wiser in some respects, but after the career implosion she had with HOH, it's not surprising she jumped at any chance she had.

Syco really should've released at least two ballads from Overcome, and put her on TV singing her non-singles, because that would help sell the album (Adele did the same with 21). Alex, sadly fell foul of being a black woman in the UK industry, which means she's got to peddle her image perfectly, what she says, her music and her future...which is an insane amount for one person alone to do (notice how Mathew Knowles did a *lot* of that groundwork for Beyonce), especially when you're young.
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Syco's logic with the first album campaign is they wanted to differentiate her from Leona and not have them fishing in the same waters. The problem is if the winner releases material too different from what they performed on the show, the sales will suffer. I think one of the reasons Little Mix for example have been fairly successful winners is their post-show songs have not been too different from ET and Don't Let Go in style.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drakhen wrote: »
    I think Syco's logic with the first album campaign is they wanted to differentiate her from Leona and not have them fishing in the same waters. The problem is if the winner releases material too different from what they performed on the show, the sales will suffer. I think one of the reasons Little Mix for example have been fairly successful winners is their post-show songs have not been too different from ET and Don't Let Go in style.

Yep, I agree. It's the same with Olly Murs. He is still today the same artist that people voted for on X Factor...he didn't go off in a completely different direction.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drakhen wrote: »

At the end of the day she was very successful with the first album, some of you are making it sound like this debut album flopped.

She flopped with the second album because it was a cheap, rushed effort with no major label funding pushing it. Had she continued with Syco, she may still be very successful in the style she was doing, we'll never know.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    At the end of the day she was very successful with the first album, some of you are making it sound like this debut album flopped.

She flopped with the second album because it was a cheap, rushed effort with no major label funding pushing it. Had she continued with Syco, she may still be very successful in the style she was doing, we'll never know.

She seriously struggled to sell consistently without singles being in the top 20, compared to Cheryl or JLS who did very well at the time. I remember seeing Overcome in the 80s of the album charts for many weeks at a time.

It did alienate her fans from the show. I loved her, but couldn't vibe with Bad Boys, because it wasn't for me. Bleeding Love on the other hand, was rather universal. I could connect with Elephant lyrically, if we're looking for a comparison. It did sell well, but for the time, it was rather average selling.

She managed to sell 1.3m copies of her debut single, but barely sold 800k of the album, despite multiple top 10 singles and lots of promo. Something was wrong. I would've expected 1.2m for the album at least. There was no adult contemporary push, it was all pop. Which is fine...if the act you're dealing with can't sing well. But she can sing songs like Whitney did.

Her uptempo singles should've made it obvious (interwoven with a few ballad releases/non uptempo releases) that she's not a clone of Leona. And tbh, they weren't alike in the slightest. If Alex was male, there wouldn't have been any comparisons at all. The same thing happened with 'You're just like a British Rihanna/Beyonce/Toni Braxton/Whitney'...it's down to the fact that they come from the same ethnic group, rather than style.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    She seriously struggled to sell consistently without singles being in the top 20, compared to Cheryl or JLS who did very well at the time. I remember seeing Overcome in the 80s of the album charts for many weeks at a time.

It did alienate her fans from the show. I loved her, but couldn't vibe with Bad Boys, because it wasn't for me. Bleeding Love on the other hand, was rather universal. I could connect with Elephant lyrically, if we're looking for a comparison. It did sell well, but for the time, it was rather average selling.

She managed to sell 1.3m copies of her debut single, but barely sold 800k of the album, despite multiple top 10 singles and lots of promo. Something was wrong. I would've expected 1.2m for the album at least. There was no adult contemporary push, it was all pop. Which is fine...if the act you're dealing with can't sing well. But she can sing songs like Whitney did.

Her uptempo singles should've made it obvious (interwoven with a few ballad releases/non uptempo releases) that she's not a clone of Leona. And tbh, they weren't alike in the slightest. If Alex was male, there wouldn't have been any comparisons at all. The same thing happened with 'You're just like a British Rihanna/Beyonce/Toni Braxton/Whitney'...it's down to the fact that they come from the same ethnic group, rather than style.

I agree they should have pushed for the AC market too, but I was just picking up the point that some people on here are making out the first album did poorly, when it did extremely well. 800,000 is not something to be sniffed at. It was a hugely successful album and I don't see that anything other than a big success.
  • ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Alex finally in the studio with HARMONY SAMUELS yasssssss he was the 1 we was pushing for year/s ago!
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Who is he? I wanna be excited too?!
    Forum Member
    Who is he? I wanna be excited too?!

Ariana grande, Jennifer Lopez, Chris Brown, Kelly Rowland, MIchelle's Say Yes, Jennifer Hudson, chipmunk's champion ... Chipmunk and Melissa steel also in studio with Alex.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a flying visit ;-)

I taped loads of stuff over Christmas and am still catching up - it was a lovely unexpected surprise to see Alex appear on Ant and Dec's show :)
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    I agree they should have pushed for the AC market too, but I was just picking up the point that some people on here are making out the first album did poorly, when it did extremely well. 800,000 is not something to be sniffed at. It was a hugely successful album and I don't see that anything other than a big success.

I agree the first album was a success in terms of sales, but it was also when the cracks started to appear. Radio 1 snubbed her after Broken Heels and cited the negative reaction from their listeners to the song. Also, the re-release didn't sell very well. I think putting sales aside, quite a few mistakes were made during the first album campaign that would have more of a long-term effect.
  • pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Just a flying visit ;-)

I taped loads of stuff over Christmas and am still catching up - it was a lovely unexpected surprise to see Alex appear on Ant and Dec's show :)
    Which show was this? Is that the one from years ago? :)
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Shoed wrote: »
    Ariana grande, Jennifer Lopez, Chris Brown, Kelly Rowland, MIchelle's Say Yes, Jennifer Hudson, chipmunk's champion ... Chipmunk and Melissa steel also in studio with Alex.

Yassss
  • NiiiiiiikNiiiiiiik Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yassss

At least it's urban and credible. Let's hope Alex grinds this time round. I hope she can afford one or two Rico love tracks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Just a flying visit ;-)

That was just a repeat from a few years ago unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmqlYjFlmgk

That Melissa Steel Alex was in studio with
    I'd love an island kinda song from Alex like that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The snapchat Alex sent yesterday of her in the studio...what did people think of the song she had playing in the background? You could hear it clearly and she was singing with a Jamaican accent.
    Forum Member
    The snapchat Alex sent yesterday of her in the studio...what did people think of the song she had playing in the background? You could hear it clearly and she was singing with a Jamaican accent.

I cant see it on mine, fuming!
  • SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't hear anything in the snapchat, sound isn't playing :confused:
  • ukaszenkoooukaszenkooo Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    I can't hear anything in the snapchat, sound isn't playing :confused:

Sounds just like Alex. She must have turned down the microphone in the snapchat, cause I cant hear a thing too :P
  • beastieletsgobeastieletsgo Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I'm asking is why is why she is still ****ing with that flop jpl?? She should justaccept she's shit and use some of those producers she was photographed with.