Options

Pretty patterns

casablancaukcasablancauk Posts: 92
Forum Member
For a couple of weeks now, once or twice a day, I get a pretty pattern go across the screen. Usually an horizontal stripe, but sometimes it covers half the screen. It only last a second then back to normal. Signal strengths and quality are very high. I have had the cable out and back several times and rebooted the box twice without curing the problem. I first noticed it on recorded programs and assumed it was a hard disc problem, but I now notice that it is on live broadcasts as well. I have the 2TB HD+ box.
Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure it is from the Sky box, and not the TV itself?
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Sounds like interference from an electrical appliance, especially a microwave oven from the description.
    This may not be in your home of course, your neighbour could have something on the other side of the wall where the TV is which is close enough to interfere.
    :)
  • Options
    casablancaukcasablancauk Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Are you sure it is from the Sky box, and not the TV itself?
    It doesn't happen on Freeview, only Sky. I understand that it could be electrical interference, but my house is detached with very few neighbours, so I doubt if it is that.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Try a different HDMI cable.
    Or reset the TV to factory as it may fix and connection problems between the TV and box.
  • Options
    john24ajohn24a Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Glad I'm not alone. My 2TB box has been doing this for a while, along with other occasional picture artefacts.

I've been trying to force a software reload but holding down backup when powering up just won't work on this box.

Anyone know if the 2TB box has a different key to hold down for this?
  • Options
    teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john24a wrote: »
    Glad I'm not alone. My 2TB box has been doing this for a while, along with other occasional picture artefacts.

I've been trying to force a software reload but holding down backup when powering up just won't work on this box.

Anyone know if the 2TB box has a different key to hold down for this?
    you need to keep holding back up until ''updating satellite software'' appears on screen.
    My mom has a 2TB box and hers works the same as any other box.
    Pull out the power lead, and whilst holding back up and keep holding it, reconnect power lead. keep holding it until the above message appears on screen.
  • Options
    teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a couple of weeks now, once or twice a day, I get a pretty pattern go across the screen. Usually an horizontal stripe, but sometimes it covers half the screen. It only last a second then back to normal. Signal strengths and quality are very high. I have had the cable out and back several times and rebooted the box twice without curing the problem. I first noticed it on recorded programs and assumed it was a hard disc problem, but I now notice that it is on live broadcasts as well. I have the 2TB HD+ box.
    Anyone have any ideas?

If it were me id change the HDMI cable first, also if you have a cordless phone move it away from the TV! mine did similar when my better half put the phone on the shelf next to the TV because it looked better!
    Also make sure the HDMI cable is not wrapped around a power cable.
    Cheap HDMI leads, do happen to be very prone to interference
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "you need to keep holding back up until ''updating satellite software'' appears on screen.
    Pull out the power lead, and whilst holding back up and keep holding it, reconnect power lead. keep holding it until the above message appears on screen."

Yes, thats exactly what I've been doing. It's always worked on my many boxes over the years but with this one, I hold backup down until my fingers hurt and it just boots back up as normal! I wondered if the 2TB box needed something different.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    john24a wrote: »
    "you need to keep holding back up until ''updating satellite software'' appears on screen.
    Pull out the power lead, and whilst holding back up and keep holding it, reconnect power lead. keep holding it until the above message appears on screen."

Yes, thats exactly what I've been doing. It's always worked on my many boxes over the years but with this one, I hold backup down until my fingers hurt and it just boots back up as normal! I wondered if the 2TB box needed something different.

The buttons on top of the box are close together, so sometimes it is because you are slightly pressing another one.

Also, on the 890/895, you can update without unplugging. Press and hold power button on remote, until red led on box starts flashing, wait for it to stop flashing and stay a solid red, then press the backup button on top of the box (make sure you hear it click), then press the standby button on the remote, keeping backup pressed until you see updating screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The buttons on top of the box are close together, so sometimes it is because you are slightly pressing another one.

Also, on the 890/895, you can update without unplugging. Press and hold power button on remote, until red led on box starts flashing, wait for it to stop flashing and stay a solid red, then press the backup button on top of the box (make sure you hear it click), then press the standby button on the remote, keeping backup pressed until you see updating screen.

Thanks - I'll give that a try
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Actually i've tried that a couple of times recently and although it reboots the box it doesn't start the upgrade sequence.
    (Did it earlier tonight)
  • Options
    SMILER30SMILER30 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    The drx895 is a pain to do a software download on, press the back up button lightly when powering the box back on and it should do it fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes - that actually worked - thanks sodafountain. Now to see if it makes any difference to the picture corruption...