Options

Top Of The Pops Christmas 1985 - Boxing Day on Five - Are you going to watch it?

MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Top of the Pops "Christmas Party" 1985 - from 25 years ago!

Boxing Day @ 6.40pm

Presenters include:

John Peel & Janice Long
Steve Wright
Gary Davies
Dixie Peach
and.....

Jonathan King :mad:

Lineup includes:

King – “Love & Pride”
Sister Sledge – “Frankie” (video clip)
Madonna – “Into The Groove” (video clip)
Colonel Abrams – “Trapped”
Phyllis Nelson – “Move Closer” (clip from 04/04/85)
Midge Ure – “If I Was” (video clip)
Alison Moyet – “That Ole Devil Called Love” WATCH
Eurythmics – “There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)” (video clip)
Paul Hardcastle – “19” (remix - video clip)
Dead Or Alive – “You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)”
Philip Bailey & Phil Collins – “Easy Lover” (video clip)
David Bowie & Mick Jagger – “Dancing In The Street” (video clip)
Baltimora – “Tarzan Boy” WATCH
The Crowd – “You’ll Never Walk Alone” (video clip)
USA For Africa – “We Are The World” (video clip)
Band Aid – “Do They Know It’s Christmas” (video clip)
Billy Ocean – “Suddenly”
Foreigner – “I Want To Know What Love Is” (video clip)
UB40 & Chrissie Hynde – “I Got You Babe” (video clip)
Feargal Sharkey – “A Good Heart”
Jonathan King – US chart rundown
Madonna – “Crazy For You” (video clip)
Tears For Fears – “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” (video clip)
George Michael – “Careless Whisper” (video clip)
Paul Young – “Everytime You Go Away”
Elaine Paige & Barbara Dickson – “I Know Him So Well” (video clip)
Jennifer Rush – “The Power Of Love” (video clip)
Wham! – “I’m Your Man” (video)
Whitney Houston – “Saving All My Love For You” (video)
Frankie Goes To Hollywood – “Welcome To The Pleasure Dome” (audience dancing/credits)

Back in the days when TOTP was good! It would also be interesting to know what viewing figures this gets, as it would seriously strengthen the case for further repeats of TOTP if high enough.

Comments

• Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    King: Love and Pride? Thought Taste Of Your Tears by them was a better song, myself.

God, that line up makes me feel ancient! Xmas '85, I'd just done my first term in sixth form! Barely seems five minutes ago-and it was a quarter of a century!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King: Love and Pride? Thought Taste Of Your Tears by them was a better song, myself.

God, that line up makes me feel ancient! Xmas '85, I'd just done my first term in sixth form! Barely seems five minutes ago-and it was a quarter of a century!

Old git! :D

Saying that I was around in 1985 and I watched this when it was first broadcast! So I guess that makes me an old git too! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure 1985 was the first year TOTP had only one Christmas edition, years before it had two editions Christmas Day and usually Boxing Day

In 1984 the Christmas day edition was introduced by the acts themselves (first time they had dropped DJs from the Christmas show) then the second edition was shown on the 27th December 84 by Lenny Henry..this is the last time to my knowledge they had two Christmas editions of TOTP..(of course apart from last year and I think 2008?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CheekyTV wrote: »
    I am sure 1985 was the first year TOTP had only one Christmas edition, years before it had two editions Christmas Day and usually Boxing Day

In 1984 the Christmas day edition was introduced by the acts themselves (first time they had dropped DJs from the Christmas show) then the second edition was shown on the 27th December 84 by Lenny Henry..this is the last time to my knowledge they had two Christmas editions of TOTP..(of course apart from last year and I think 2008?)

I have 27th Decemeber 1984 and it was hosted by Lenny Henry. The 25th December 1984 edition was hosted by the bands themselves. Must of been a cost cutting year :D
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CheekyTV wrote: »

It was not always Xmas Day and Boxing Day.
    It was usually Xmas Day and then a day closer to the New Year .
    Thanks to German tv we've had some this year (and last) and for 1974 the second show was on the 27th but in 1976 we had shows on the 23rd , 25th and 26th December:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was not always Xmas Day and Boxing Day.
    It was usually Xmas Day and then a day closer to the New Year .
    Thanks to German tv we've had some this year (and last) and for 1974 the second show was on the 27th but in 1976 we had shows on the 23rd , 25th and 26th December:eek:

Did you work on TOTP as some of your postings on other threads indicate that you once did! "Supplying David "diddy" Hamilton with copies"
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I'd really love to see full editions of old TOTPs especially from the 1980s repeated more regulary but performance rights issues is the big hurdle they have to jump.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what channel will this be shown on then?
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a bumper line-up, I may just have to tune in. I had a crush on Gary Davies in those days...woo :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd really love to see full editions of old TOTPs especially from the 1980s repeated more regulary but performance rights issues is the big hurdle they have to jump.

The organisation behind music royalties is so backward! Do they not realise that by allowing old music shows such as TOTP to be repeated would mean their memebers could benefit financially thriough increased sales? rather than try to make it as difficult as possible to repeat music shows they should help to make it easier!
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God no!

That list of songs is, with very few exceptions, awful
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    God no!

That list of songs is, with very few exceptions, awful

I'd take that line-up of songs over any 90s/00s/10s line-up anyday-although I agree with you on Dead or Alive: You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)!
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd take that line-up of songs over any 90s/00s/10s line-up anyday-although I agree with you on Dead or Alive: You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)!

But I was lucky to know the 60s and 70s:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On soon........
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'll watch it but wish they'd show it without ads.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bold of Five to keep the section with Jonathan King in.

It's probably been mentioned before that this may well have been the only Christmas TOTP that didn't include the Christmas No1 because it was stupidly made in November of that year.
  • Options
    John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'll watch it but wish they'd show it without ads.

It will be interesting how the computer system makes a complete horlicks by chopping songs etc:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting how the computer system makes a complete horlicks by chopping songs etc:D

They should show this and Some Mothers.. without ads but they won't!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should show this and Some Mothers.. without ads but they won't!

Since Dickie Desmond took over ownership the placing of adverts is worse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to write to BBC to establish the feasibility (and show support) for rescreening old TOTP editions.

If Five (Christmas 1985) and minor player Digital channel Watch (Xmas 2009) can do it I cannot see why BBC Four can't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    I want to write to BBC to establish the feasibility (and show support) for rescreening old TOTP editions.

If Five (Christmas 1985) and minor player Digital channel Watch (Xmas 2009) can do it I cannot see why BBC Four can't.

Its because the PRS/MCPS alliance that are blocking BBC4 from doing it furthermore most of the shows from the 60's & 70.' were wiped or are such poor quality in fact I understand the first edition from 1964 has been lost forever
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been reading on Buzzjack that this Xmas Day 1985 TOTP does NOT include the 1985 Christmas No.1 single - Shakin' Stevens!!! The Xmas chart was only announced Christmas Eve lunchtime and there wasn't time to edit the show to announce him as No.1.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is George Michael's Careless Whisper included considering that it was released in the summer of 1984?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its because the PRS/MCPS alliance that are blocking BBC4 from doing it furthermore most of the shows from the 60's & 70.' were wiped or are such poor quality in fact I understand the first edition from 1964 has been lost forever

The 70's clips on TOTP2 looked okay though.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ajman wrote: »
    Why is George Michael's Careless Whisper included considering that it was released in the summer of 1984?

US No. 1?

I don't watch Five that often; do they usually have their logo in the corner throughout the show?

King drummer getting into the spirit of things with his tinseled-up drumsticks :D