Moving from Android to Blackberry..

adzieeadziee Posts: 828
Forum Member
✭✭
My contract is up next month and i am thinking about getting the Blackberry Bold 9900 (the new one), i currently have a T-Mobile G2 Touch, had it for 2 years on contract and it just is really slow to text and i fancy a change, I've checked about apps and Blackberry has all the ones i want. I was thinking about just buying the phone for however much it is once i shop around, maybe on eBay or Gumtree. Would i be able to use it on Pay as you go? Do i still get BBM and internet? Thanks :)

Comments

• grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adziee wrote: »
    My contract is up next month and i am thinking about getting the Blackberry Bold 9900 (the new one), i currently have a T-Mobile G2 Touch, had it for 2 years on contract and it just is really slow to text and i fancy a change, I've checked about apps and Blackberry has all the ones i want. I was thinking about just buying the phone for however much it is once i shop around, maybe on eBay or Gumtree. Would i be able to use it on Pay as you go? Do i still get BBM and internet? Thanks :)

You can get BlackBerry phones on PAYG, but you will still have to buy a BB Bolt-on from whoever your provider is, so that BBM etc will work.
  • adzieeadziee Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get BlackBerry phones on PAYG, but you will still have to buy a BB Bolt-on from whoever your provider is, so that BBM etc will work.

Just googled to try find a bit more info, i'm on T-mobile, this bolt on thing is on o2, http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pay_and_go/init/BlackBerry/Bold%209900%20Black
    I'm guessing that they all do their own deals, so will try and find out over the weekend. Would it matter where i bought it from, do you think i could still say ring up O2 and ask for that deal?
  • AnniecaAnnieca Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got a android phone from a FON FOR U SHOP and the NICE girl assured me 'oh don't worry about it, your 15 pound a month subscription with orange with carry internet' of course since then i have got approx 47 pound per month bills, now i never touch the thing, never go near said companies can't wait till contract ends, now back with laptop company!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annieca wrote: »
    i got a android phone from a FON FOR U SHOP and the NICE girl assured me 'oh don't worry about it, your 15 pound a month subscription with orange with carry internet' of course since then i have got approx 47 pound per month bills, now i never touch the thing, never go near said companies can't wait till contract ends, now back with laptop company!

Why didn't you just go and add internet to your bundle with Orange? Of course you're going to get billed for data if you get a smart phone and don't bother to make sure you're covered for web use.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best to ask if you have upgraded the phone or used an ultra fast slimmed down ROM or even a keyboard APP?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=512
    Read up and/or ask in the forums before using a custom ROM

If going PAYG, your t-mobile last I knew give 6 months internet for £20.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't you just go and add internet to your bundle with Orange? Of course you're going to get billed for data if you get a smart phone and don't bother to make sure you're covered for web use.
    Internet useage was part of my subscription at 15 pound per month tied in for 2 years, you have to remember i am new to 3g on the phone, that is why i spend so long in the shop getting so called reasurance, this meant i was still aware of the dangers, but i was cynically conned.
  • springyspringy Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    £15 a month means I think you are on the dolphin contract with 250MB allowance. You can get a bolt on thing for £5, or use an app like 3g watchdog with APNdroid which will monitor your usage and will cut your data off if you are about to go past your 250MB allowance. This is a much better way of controlling your data.

Also try opera mini browser, this will reduce your data when browsing the web as well. Also turn off syncing if you do not need it.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £15 a month was not bad considering t-mobile do a slow down rather than charge for excess data.

With others you need super vigilance so as not to pay up to a £1000 per GB excess!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    springy wrote: »
    £15 a month means I think you are on the dolphin contract with 250MB allowance. You can get a bolt on thing for £5, or use an app like 3g watchdog with APNdroid which will monitor your usage and will cut your data off if you are about to go past your 250MB allowance. This is a much better way of controlling your data.

Also try opera mini browser, this will reduce your data when browsing the web as well. Also turn off syncing if you do not need it.
    Thanks Springy where were you when i needed you, but thanks anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    £15 a month was not bad considering t-mobile do a slow down rather than charge for excess data.

With others you need super vigilance so as not to pay up to a £1000 per GB excess!
    I got charged nearly 50 pounds per month, i would regard myself as a moderate user and a browser, how is that 'not bad'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went the other way from Blackberry to Android (on a HTC) and would never go back. Android is much better then Blackberry. Never used a G2 (whatever that is) myself I use a HTC and I experience no slow down at all. I'm on T-Mobile payg and bought 6 months internet for £20 and never go over the limit. Dunno what people are doing with their phones if they are going over the limit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rung up the girl at orange and said how did i run up the bill, and the the girl she had english/portugese type accent 'oh i bloody well give up' they have got me Noooooooo! how could i be so STUPID!!!!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    adziee wrote: »
    Just googled to try find a bit more info, i'm on T-mobile, this bolt on thing is on o2, http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pay_and_go/init/BlackBerry/Bold%209900%20Black
    I'm guessing that they all do their own deals, so will try and find out over the weekend. Would it matter where i bought it from, do you think i could still say ring up O2 and ask for that deal?

On T-Mobile PAYG, you can get 6 month's BB and internet for £20. You just text "6monthbb" to 441 (make sure you've got £20 credit on first).
    But, unless you absolutely, definitely need BBM, (Think:"How many friends,relations,colleagues have BBM?") my advice is to avoid Blackberry phones, they are quite low-tech,reliability isn't great, and a good Android phone will get you about 20 times the choice of applications, many for free.
  • John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member
    Bagsbunny wrote: »
    On T-Mobile PAYG, you can get 6 month's BB and internet for £20. You just text "6monthbb" to 441 (make sure you've got £20 credit on first).
    But, unless you absolutely, definitely need BBM, (Think:"How many friends,relations,colleagues have BBM?") my advice is to avoid Blackberry phones, they are quite low-tech,reliability isn't great, and a good Android phone will get you about 20 times the choice of applications, many for free.

And my advice is the opposite :p

If somebody wants to play with endless apps then certainly an Android, I gave Mrs Elways my HTC Desire and I have a BlackBerry Torch which I need for communication and it does it, for me, better than Android and iPhone, by far.
  • springyspringy Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Yup agree, blackberry are very useful for communicating, i.e. Emails and BBM. If they do get android apps in the next version of Blackberry that will be very good for the platform. You get the hundred and thousands of apps from android plus Blackberry's BBM services.

Nothing beats BBM at the moment, only something like Google+ huddles or FB messaging (when FB decide to build a proper app that actually works) can dethrone it as it can go cross platform.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love my 8520, would like a 9300 but hey ho.

If you buy a 9900 from ebay then you must be insane!!

Get a cheap contract with BBM built in, to get cashback from quidco or TCB or buy from a reputable seller