Ronan

2»

Comments

• reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Dodd wrote: »
    A question for anyone who wants to give an opinion.

Obviously we hope that Ronan will be with us for as long as he is physically comfortable as a retired person. When he is no longer around, however, should there still be an official Caroline ? Should a Caroline station continue as a fitting tribute to him, or should it cease as something that was his and only his ?

My view is that Caroline was his and only his, and that it shouldn't continue if he is no longer with us. Free radio stations and channels should continue to be with us to provide music, entertainment and discussion not controlled by governments or advertisers. But for me, the Radio Caroline that myself and our social circle of the early to mid 1960s enjoyed and appreciated, was Ronan's, and his alone. Personally I would not be able to identify with something continuing for decades to come calling itself Caroline, but a completely separate entity.

Perhaps you agree or disagree with that... any comments ?

I absolutely agree Phil. I have happy memories of Caroline 74-80 and 83 to about 85. After 85/86 it lost its way and I'd rather remember the great jocks like Tom Anderson, Andy Archer, Tom Hardy, Roger Matthews, Tony Allen et al than a bunch of unknowns playing pirates.
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely agree Phil. I have happy memories of Caroline 74-80 and 83 to about 85. After 85/86 it lost its way and I'd rather remember the great jocks like Tom Anderson, Andy Archer, Tom Hardy, Roger Matthews, Tony Allen et al than a bunch of unknowns playing pirates.

Same here. I also enjoyed Caroline up until 1985 when she gave up on her principles and started to sound like a poor man's Laser 558.
    I have said this before, but when I tuned-in to Caroline one day and they were playing "Don't Mess With My Toot Toot" I then realised that she had sold - out.