Derby local DAB

Comments

• hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    The original application has a slightly wider map although doesn't really answer the question fully:

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/radio/digital/nowdigital.pdf

The only way to know the true extent will be when Lichfield is transmitting the Derbyshire multiplex. Not sure if there will be a big demand for Radio Derby itself in North Birmingham though.
    The local mux for Tamworth is the Birmingham, probably Lichfield will be used to cover Burton as this is the nearest mast?
  • Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derby DAB local maybe going on air but there is still no message of North Yorkshire DAB local going on and it was advertised in 2007.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derby DAB local maybe going on air but there is still no message of North Yorkshire DAB local going on and it was advertised in 2007.
    Was mentioned on the Muxco blog
    http://www.muxco.com/blog/2014/06/20/full-steam-ahead/
    So, we’re looking to launch Somerset towards the end of the Summer and North Yorkshire and North Wales will be on-air towards the end of 2014. Additionally Lincolnshire will launch in 2015.

Hopefully over the coming weeks we’ll be able to publish some coverage maps and also be a little firmer with the service provider line-ups.
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    The only way to know the true extent will be when Lichfield is transmitting the Derbyshire multiplex. Not sure if there will be a big demand for Radio Derby itself in North Birmingham though.
    As the mast is line of sight to large areas of Birmingham I suspect it will be a strong signal even with it's directional aerial.

Personally I hope Oxford dab is not lost to the South of the City, but if Birmingham listeners get Gold back it may be useful.
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So as off writing this still no tests. Its supposed to start this wednesday, does anyone really expect this multiplex to start this week now ?
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    So as off writing this still no tests. Its supposed to start this wednesday, does anyone really expect this multiplex to start this week now ?

Yeah, they had tests months ago so it's all working, no need to run then up to launch date.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Multiplex is on. Commercial services broadcasting. Radio Derby have a test loop giving a launch time of 8.30.
  • Stephen93Stephen93 Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got Radio Derby DAB in Swanwick, Derbyshire some 10 miles north of Quarndon, also in my car, okay if you're static but once moving its in & out.
  • DigMorrisDigMorris Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Wohnort reports five services, all using 128 kb/s stereo: BBC Radio Derby, Capital, Heart, Gold Derbyshire and GEM 106 EastMids
  • mhussainmhussain Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    strange, I live in coventry, and can pickup nottingham and lakes on my dab, but not derby?
    how does that work?
    thanks
    Majid
    DigMorris wrote: »
    Wohnort reports five services, all using 128 kb/s stereo: BBC Radio Derby, Capital, Heart, Gold Derbyshire and GEM 106 EastMids
  • BoolianBoolian Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derby*available*in*Leicester
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also wouldn’t be surprised if Smooth appears eventually given the wording. I wonder if Global had been allowed to own Smooth (or had chosen it over Capital) it would be appearing? There’s no benefit for Communicorp to come to an agreement as Nottingham secures the FM renewal
    http://www.a516digital.com/2014/11/smooth-radio-extends-east-midlands-dab.html
    Smooth now to be added, but seems dropping from stereo to mono in Nottingham.
    Under the proposals, Smooth Radio East Midlands will join the Derbyshire and Leicestershire local DAB multiplexes and share the same service ID as the Nottinghamshire service. In all three areas, Smooth Radio will transmit in mono (80 kbps). The service name of "Smooth Radio East Midlands" will change to "Smooth Radio" around the 15th November, according to the proposal approved by Ofcom.

Listeners in the East Midlands have two versions of Smooth on DAB: the national version of Smooth Radio carrying London programming is also carried on DAB via the national Digital One multiplex. The national version on Digital One is scheduled to be dropped in the future, leaving Smooth Radio solely available via local DAB multiplexes, which is providing an impetus to roll-out Smooth on as many local DAB multiplexes as possible.
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely enough space on Derby for Stereo - must be the cost!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the weekend I heard Radio Derby running trailers saying if you were in Burton you could hear them on DAB from this week - I think it was Wednesday so presume this will be when the Lichfield transmitter will be switched on.
  • warrior51warrior51 Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lichfield transmitter is on. Loud and clear in S.Derbyshire
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    warrior51 wrote: »
    The Lichfield transmitter is on. Loud and clear in S.Derbyshire
    Ah well, bye bye Oxford mux.
    It was good while it lasted
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listening to Gold in Walsall via Derby Dab.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Listening to Gold in Walsall via Derby Dab.

Managed to get it static listening to my pocket Dab Fm by Wednesbury Parkway Metro station waiting for a bus but on the move, Ive lost it totally!
  • Rob793Rob793 Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard the mux in Newcastle-under-Lyme on Wednesday morning in my car! Admittedly I was in a high part of town.
  • ResidentSDResidentSD Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Derbyshire multiplex now shows as being available on my car's DAB radio for the first time. Had a listen to Gem 106 in Dudley and, while the signal strength is not the greatest with the odd drop out and the odd deterioration of the signal, it's still pretty listenable.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob793 wrote: »
    I heard the mux in Newcastle-under-Lyme on Wednesday morning in my car! Admittedly I was in a high part of town.

The Nottingham multiplex gets as far west as the roundabout on the A50 (mere?) just outside Stoke-on-Trent where it does a 90' bend - obviously a lot of FM/DAB switching from Junction 4 of the A50 to their mind! So little surprise the Derby multiplex gets into the conurbation in some form.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-derbyshire-30337907

08:42: DAB coverage BBC Radio Derby The third digital radio transmitter covering Derbyshire and East Staffordshire has been switched on.
    The Stanton Moor transmitter covers the north Derbyshire area, meaning people in places like Matlock and Bakewell will be able to pick-up DAB digital radio.
  • Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,145
    Forum Member
    This multiplex goes a crazy distance with Lichfield on-air.

It comes in rock solid at my parents' in Stone, Staffs.

I can also pick it up here in Worcester (WR4) on the high ground just north of the hospital on my Pure pocket DAB radio.
  • Rob793Rob793 Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I received it just north of Knutsford the other day!
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam792 wrote: »
    This multiplex goes a crazy distance with Lichfield on-air.

It comes in rock solid at my parents' in Stone, Staffs.

I can also pick it up here in Worcester (WR4) on the high ground just north of the hospital on my Pure pocket DAB radio.

You usedd to be able to get Oxford in Worcester on 10B - does that mean you can no longer get Oxford there?