Options

RDS Traffic flags: Stations that are slow to switch them off

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
Forum Member
I've recently started commuting by car and usually listen to Radio 2 or 4 with the TA function on so that my radio automatically switches to BBC local stations for the travel, before returning me to the station I was listening to before.

This is really useful and usually works well, but I've noticed that a couple of stations seem to take ages to send the signal that the traffic bulletin has ended, so I then have to either listen to several minuted of irrelevant rubbish or take my eyes off the road to manually switch the radio to the station it was on.

By far the worst offenders are BBC Hereford & Worcester and BBC Radio Wales.

The best stations in my experience for use of the TA flag are BBC Radio Gloucestershire and BBC Radio Bristol.

Does anyone else get annoyed when local stations abuse the TA function to force you to listen to them for longer than the traffic bulletin?

Comments

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    mancnq wrote: »
    By far the worst offenders are BBC Hereford & Worcester and BBC Radio Wales.

I'll second that !!
    On a recent trip to Taunton from West Wales I lost count of the times I pushed the on /off button to cancel the TA to get rid of Radio Wales .
    BBC Radio Wales really annoy me --- I don't listen to the station at the best of times..
    Regards
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get Radio Scotland Travel News, it's usually reasonably well used but you sometimes yoi get stray early triggers with no Travel News. It usually goes off fairly promptly but the odd presenter will leave on until time out though don't know if that is deliberate or just stupidity.
  • Options
    trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also many are too colloquial, i.e. refer to motorway junctions by the name of a village they are near, avoiding using junction number.

Failure to identify themselves and phrases like 'our area', 'the city' and so on do seem to be delibratley trying to be unhelpful to national radio listeners passing through the area.

I can remember Radio Kent refering to I think, The Swanley Interchange', very unhelpful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trigpoint wrote: »
    Also many are too colloquial, i.e. refer to motorway junctions by the name of a village they are near, avoiding using junction number.

Failure to identify themselves and phrases like 'our area', 'the city' and so on do seem to be delibratley trying to be unhelpful to national radio listeners passing through the area.

I can remember Radio Kent refering to I think, The Swanley Interchange', very unhelpful.

I have said that in the past. I would have thought that it should be a general rule that all Travel News bulletins start by identifying the station.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member

Agreed, but my view is that some stations may use this as lazy programming in an attempt to sound local.
  • Options
    Andrew RogersAndrew Rogers Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that this comes up now. On Friday we were stuck in a poptastic traffic jam on the A358 in Somerset. I put the TA on (which incidentally required a bit of scrolling through menus on the otherwise admirable radio in our Fiat Panda) and finally got some reasonably helpful traffic news from BBC Somerset/BBC Radio Bristol (they didn't identify themselves in the bulletin). Then we got a promo for the Vernon Harwood Sunday Morning Show (where we talk to real country people) and about half of Good Times by Chic, before the traffic flag was turned off and we went back to my choice of afternoon listening.

Just for fun, I've put in a complaint. If I remember, I'll post the reply.
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Leicester is often guilty of this, with listeners having to endure "banter" between the presenter and the traffic reporter long after the traffic report has ended.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can remember Radio Kent referring to I think, The Swanley Interchange', very unhelpful.
    It all depends whether listeners think geographically or in terms of junction numbers.

It's probably better to quote both. If Radio Kent said that there were delays between J6 and J9 on the M20 I'd be none the wiser unless I was already nearby on that motorway, whereas if they said 'between Maidstone and Ashford' I'd know straight away.

Unless you're a frequent user you're likely to be more familiar with (largish) place names rather than junction numbers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Scotland the information originates from Traffic Scotland and they are notorious for poor / incorrect information. I queried them a few weeks ago when they Tweeted about a problem at a location on the A82. It was reTweeted by the BBC so would have been on the Travel News. I have been using the road for over forty years and did not recognise the place. They said that it was on the map but it turned out to be a large house. I think I might have convinced them that information on the radio or VMS like that is useless to someone driving. You just need a rough distance from a recognisable town or village.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I get Radio Scotland Travel News, it's usually reasonably well used but you sometimes yoi get stray early triggers with no Travel News. It usually goes off fairly promptly but the odd presenter will leave on until time out though don't know if that is deliberate or just stupidity.

I've had TA switched off on my car radio for several years due to the inability of Radio Scotland to use the system properly. Several minutes of sports news before the travel, programme trailers after the travel, or as you say no travel at all.

It can't be rocket science to link the fader on the desk, or the playing of the travel sting to the TA trigger?
  • Options
    trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radioruss wrote: »
    Agreed, but my view is that some stations may use this as lazy programming in an attempt to sound local.

But once they press the TA button they become part of the BBC National network.

Gerry1 wrote: »
    It all depends whether listeners think geographically or in terms of junction numbers.

It's probably better to quote both. If Radio Kent said that there were delays between J6 and J9 on the M20 I'd be none the wiser unless I was already nearby on that motorway, whereas if they said 'between Maidstone and Ashford' I'd know straight away.

Unless you're a frequent user you're likely to be more familiar with (largish) place names rather than junction numbers.

Large places maybe, that are signposted. And junction numbers can be worked out, but Swanley?

Kent is the wrong side of London for most people travelling to the ports/tunnel to have this level of local knowledge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Sid Law wrote: »
    I've had TA switched off on my car radio for several years due to the inability of Radio Scotland to use the system properly. Several minutes of sports news before the travel, programme trailers after the travel, or as you say no travel at all.

It can't be rocket science to link the fader on the desk, or the playing of the travel sting to the TA trigger?

Same here - Good Morning Scotland in particular appears to be terrible for turning TA on during the sports, then failing to turn it off again after the travel finishes. Also not unknown for a couple of false starts (i.e. radio switches to R Scotland for a couple of seconds of irrelevant stuff, then goes back to whatever it was on) before it sticks on R Scotland for the travel. Whoever's operating that button at Pacific Quay seems to be useless at it.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    alangla wrote: »
    (i.e. radio switches to R Scotland for a couple of seconds of irrelevant stuff, then goes back to whatever it was on).
    That really annoys me as I have the TA volume set higher than the listening volume.
    I turn the volume down for those few seconds then have to alter it again for the TA ---- not difficult I know --- just annoying !!
    Regards.
  • Options
    AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC 3CR used to be appalling for not switching back after the travel announcements. So much so that I actually switched off the TA function on my car as it was so infuriating.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    I generally turn ta off in my car because my Radio 2 listening is interupted by Johnny local and dave doubledecks on the local bbc station with crap banter and information that is not relevant to me. I know what time travel is read on Radio 2 and if I want something local I'll find it.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    I generally turn ta off in my car because my Radio 2 listening is interupted by Johnny local and dave doubledecks on the local bbc station with crap banter and information that is not relevant to me. I know what time travel is read on Radio 2 and if I want something local I'll find it.

So does someone have inside knowledge on why (it appears) that the BBC locals and BBC Scotland and BBC Wales don't have the TA trigger automated?

It's more than 10 years since I lived (and drove) in the central belt, but Forth 1 and Clyde 1 were automated even then and it was always very slick.......straight in at the very start of the bulletin, travel news is rattled off, finished off with a 5 second station ident, then TA off immediately.
  • Options
    Jonny_RottenNIJonny_RottenNI Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Forgive my ignorance of how the TA works on modern systems, but am I right in saying that when a specific jingle is played, that triggers the TA? When I volunteered at a commercial / community radio as a tech-op in the mid nineties (the former Belfast Community Radio), that was the case.

The reason I ask is that my TA went off in my car way BEFORE the actual traffic bulletin recently when listening to Free Radio drive. The format is something like this:

Jo: "blah blah blah, Bruno Mars (almost always) up after traffic next"
    ADVERTS
    VOICEOVER: "More from Jo & Sparky after traffic...next"
    YET MORE ADVERTS
    TRAFFIC INTRO
    "Here's Chiara"... TA

but on this occasion, the TA came up during the "More from" VOICEOVER...

So it's a case of the TA coming up just before the adverts that lead up to the traffic.

Maybe my ears popped when I realised Jo & Sparky where on their way with Bruno again...
  • Options
    sjpsjp Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    oscar1 wrote: »
    That really annoys me as I have the TA volume set higher than the listening volume.
    I turn the volume down for those few seconds then have to alter it again for the TA ---- not difficult I know --- just annoying !!
    Regards.

any volume change during TA became the volume for any future TA on our recently departed 10 year old Renault (which annoyingly didn't ID the station breaking in) and our current Vauxhall (which does ID the station breaking in - Yay Vauxhall) I'd wager there's a setting in there somewhere for TA volume "boost".
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp wrote: »
    any volume change during TA became the volume for any future TA on our recently departed 10 year old Renault (which annoyingly didn't ID the station breaking in) and our current Vauxhall (which does ID the station breaking in - Yay Vauxhall) .

That's exactly how you set the TA volume on many car radios
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    That's exactly how you set the TA volume on many car radios

That's the way most RDS radios seem to work. If you turn the volume up or down during Travel News then you should get the same volume next time.

Many stations don't play a jingle at the start of the Travel News so can't have the TA flag set automatically. I have seen various explanations over the years but there seems to be a button for the person the press that will set it, they quite likely set slightly early to allow the system to operate - the system sends a command down to London to set TA on all networks and then the actual radio has to switch. They seem to have a time-out to switch if off if the operator forgets though I have seen it said that some have very conspicuous warning lights to show it is set.
  • Options
    Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stations with a jingle in and out of the travel usually get it right.. embedded tones at both ends look after it with minimum fuss (until someone remakes the jingle and forgets to embed the tone :))

Those without depend on a presenter or operator remembering to press a button, or leave the end to a timed fail-safe (which I think is about 120-150 secs?).

As to the content of the bulletin, I think stations should look after themselves and their own audiences first. I can't see many PDs changing their editorial priorities on the basis that some new listeners might be joining for 30 seconds. Perhaps we could slow down to 120 wpm and only employ retired R4 announcers to read it?

The comment above about "joining the national network" is wide of the mark, IMO. When you select TA, you're asking to be switched to another station (wacky music bed, locally-relevant placenames and the rest) when relevant stuff comes on. Sure.. the timing and content should be accurate, but you're not getting a tailored bulletin for another station.

One footnote on the timing.. is it true or urban myth that one BBC Radio Norfolk jingle didn't have the requisite gap between the tone and the station ident, resulting in many makes of car radio switching to "....folk travel news" (not pronounced folk, obvs) every time a bulletin came on :)?
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Nottingham are usually pretty good (now that they finally do it!) - although occasionally too eager so the end gets cut off. Alas the TA is turned off most of the time as BBC Radio Leicester seem incapable of turning it off without inane chatter and half a song first :( BBC Derby always drops out half way through the buliten but I think that is due to the poor signal dropping out.
    Forgive my ignorance of how the TA works on modern systems, but am I right in saying that when a specific jingle is played, that triggers the TA? When I volunteered at a commercial / community radio as a tech-op in the mid nineties (the former Belfast Community Radio), that was the case. .

Nope - the specific jingle was to trigger the TA flag at the transmitter site using telephone tones - but nowadays a silent signal can be sent along a control channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    BBC Radio Nottingham are usually pretty good (now that they finally do it!) - although occasionally too eager so the end gets cut off. Alas the TA is turned off most of the time as BBC Radio Leicester seem incapable of turning it off without inane chatter and half a song first :( BBC Derby always drops out half way through the buliten but I think that is due to the poor signal dropping out.

Nope - the specific jingle was to trigger the TA flag at the transmitter site using telephone tones - but nowadays a silent signal can be sent along a control channel.

And the BBC have always sent a control signal to their central RDS server at BH London, that's where all the BBC LR traffic signals arrive, and are distributed from there to the relevant local and national Txs via a transparent data channel in Radio 2's RDS stream.
    Why Radio 2 ? Because when the system was implemented, that was the only 24 hour BBC national network.

I don't know whether that will now change with ViLOR ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »

That will be on commercial stations only.

BBC local radio send a command to London to add the flag to the datastream going out to all network radio transmitters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    That will be on commercial stations only.

BBC local radio send a command to London to add the flag to the datastream going out to all network radio transmitters.

.....and the local station's own FM transmitters, and the transmitters of the adjacent BBC LR stations :-)