iGoogle replacement

dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,249
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Thank goodness I have found a great replacement for my iGoogle home page.

protopage.com

Can be fully customised and very simple to set up. Found all my favourite widgets too. You need to go down the list to explore the widget showcase to get full selection.

Phew, cannot notice the difference now, infact it may even be an improvement.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using ighome for nearly a year now.
    http://www.ighome.com/
    You can transfer your settings from igoogle and it looks pretty well the same with very little work. All the regular gadgets and feeds work.
    Only slight niggle is that there aren't as many themes, but that's hardly a major issue.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been trying and testing a whole bunch since the announcement was made and finally settled on ighome as well. It's the closest in look to iGoogle for me.

Google can get stuffed.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never saw the point in IGoogle and i can see the point in anything to replace it. Maybe a few years back when we was all on dial up, but now it is just as easy and quick to have either bookmarks in the toolbar or to use something like a quick dial extension for your browser.

That is my opinion.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Never saw the point in IGoogle and i can see the point in anything to replace it. Maybe a few years back when we was all on dial up, but now it is just as easy and quick to have either bookmarks in the toolbar or to use something like a quick dial extension for your browser.

That is my opinion.

Glad you can see the need to replace it. I enjoyed iGoogle, a nice easy page to let you very quickly access various things.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I use http://pulse.me as a home page.

It's basically set to show tiles from my favourite RSS feeds.

I've got their smartphone and tablet apps too so can catch up on the news and articles when I'm commuting etc.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never really seen the point in iGoogle. As said by others, so much simpler to set up bookmarks to your favourite site these days and just flick between them for the whole picture, rather than just the highlights.

I like a nice clean Google as my home-page.

:) Mark
  • TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Symbaloo.com. Basically you can create tiles for your favourite sites, it is a bit like having all your favourites as apps! (kind of)
  • JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like how any of the others look but i only used it for BBC rss feeds anyway so i just have the BBC News as my homepage now. There's also Feedly which i have the Safari plugin but never use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Glad you can see the need to replace it. I enjoyed iGoogle, a nice easy page to let you very quickly access various things.

That was suppose to be I can't see the need to replace it, but then you know that anyway.
    but you can access these things anyway and no doubt get better information.

Was igoogle also full of widgets or what ever they are called that was not supplied by Google? While i have never used it, I did from someone that his daughter used it and got a virus on her computer from it. Now if that was from Igoogle I don't know, only going by hear say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    Never really seen the point in iGoogle. As said by others, so much simpler to set up bookmarks to your favourite site these days and just flick between them for the whole picture, rather than just the highlights.

I like a nice clean Google as my home-page.

:) Mark

I don't have a home page, i use speed dial, which got a list of sites I use and that is it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is my opinion.
    As valid as ayone elses, of course.
    Try this for a reason to use such a graphical interface -
    I find ighome useful as I can quickly glance through the news feeds in a well-laid out manner to find what I'm interested in. They're laid out on 4 different pages, home, international, science and 'other'. Each column is specific - archaeology, computer news, tabloids, 'serious' newspapers, etc so scrolling through is subject linked and I can see multiple headlines from each source at once. Each of the columns is more than a screen in length.
    Then there's a couple of pages of useful stuff - calculators, search engines, site watching, clocks and other utilities. And each page links to my reminder and calendar so it's accessible from anywhere.
    In addition, the Google bar at the top is adapted for the search options I use most, and multiple e-mail accounts. All available from my home-page.

Not for everyone, I know. But it works for me and speeds up a lot of daily computer time. What else gives me that flexibility?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As valid as ayone elses, of course.
    Try this for a reason to use such a graphical interface -
    I find ighome useful as I can quickly glance through the news feeds in a well-laid out manner to find what I'm interested in. They're laid out on 4 different pages, home, international, science and 'other'. Each column is specific - archaeology, computer news, tabloids, 'serious' newspapers, etc so scrolling through is subject linked and I can see multiple headlines from each source at once. Each of the columns is more than a screen in length.
    Then there's a couple of pages of useful stuff - calculators, search engines, site watching, clocks and other utilities. And each page links to my reminder and calendar so it's accessible from anywhere.
    In addition, the Google bar at the top is adapted for the search options I use most, and multiple e-mail accounts. All available from my home-page.

Not for everyone, I know. But it works for me and speeds up a lot of daily computer time. What else gives me that flexibility?

Fair enough.

I used to use those sort of things in dial up days, but then most of us did, but to be honest I thought they had become out of date as connections got faster.

i suppose if you like lots of news type stuff then it is fine, but I used to find these sites was limited by what they supplied and not what I wanted them to supply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i suppose if you like lots of news type stuff then it is fine, but I used to find these sites was limited by what they supplied and not what I wanted them to supply.
    The advantage nowadays is that you can link to any feed address you wish in a new box, and aren't limited to what's pushed as a gadget.
    But you're right, it does depend on what you need. Neither of my youngest kids have any use for it, they just hook into Facebook and iTunes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a pick of sites that I go to get information from, just as quick to go to each of them and easier to read and no signing in required. The site you use is too googly to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a pick of sites that I go to get information from, just as quick to go to each of them and easier to read and no signing in required. The site you use is too googly to be honest.
    I don't understand what you're saying here.
    What I have is 120 news headlines on any one screen (and itcould be more but that's a convenient length scroll), with a two-line synopsis of the story, and direct click through to the full version. No signing in required. And each box of headlines is also in essence a bookmark to the BBC or Fox News or Archaeology Today or whatever also.
    You can't tell me it would be easier to go to all 24 sites on a page seperately and scroll through all the news on each to get what I want! It's a simple graphic interface to view mass news at one look, and there isn't another setup that does it as efficiently as these homepage options.

If you mean no signing in to a site by your method, sure. You could sign into ighome every time you want it. But once I registered I just set ighome as my home page. Takes me straight in, all the news updated, no manual signing in necessary.

I hink what we have here is a prime example of 'horses for courses'. It doen't suit your information needs, it does mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have 24 sites to go to, so it don't take long to have a quick look.

As for signing in, you got to sign in to the sites, so it knows who you are, unless you keep your cookies.

But as you say, horses for courses, but google must have had a reason for getting rid of Igoogle, I presume because the number of users have dropped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have 24 sites to go to, so it don't take long to have a quick look.

As for signing in, you got to sign in to the sites, so it knows who you are, unless you keep your cookies.

But as you say, horses for courses, but google must have had a reason for getting rid of Igoogle, I presume because the number of users have dropped.

Do you sign out of accounts you use after every session?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you sign out of accounts you use after every session?

Normally yes, but even if I don't cookies are deleted when I close my browser.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally yes, but even if I don't cookies are deleted when I close my browser.

Why? you live on your own....what do you think would happen if your stay logged on, allowed cookies? I just like to open a site and use it, can't be bothered to keep signing in....life's too short for that utter nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? you live on your own....what do you think would happen if your stay logged on, allowed cookies? I just like to open a site and use it, can't be bothered to keep signing in....life's too short for that utter nonsense.

That is up to you if you want to do that. I prefer to get rid of cookies simple as that.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is up to you if you want to do that. I prefer to get rid of cookies simple as that.

He asked why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He asked why.

To stop all these advertising networks following me around. Saying that I have got a extension on my browser that blocks them anyway.