Dr Who Ratings Thread

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm particularly thankful for BARB's TV Player Report this year, thanks to Doctor Who clashing with the Rugby World Cup. Episodes 2, 3 & 4 are in the firing line.
  • Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I'm particularly thankful for BARB's TV Player Report this year, thanks to Doctor Who clashing with the Rugby World Cup. Episodes 2, 3 & 4 are in the firing line.

which will got along with the haters predictions of how ratings will drop after season premiere. lol
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    On a ratings tangent, have the New York Symphonic Spectacular concerts been cancelled due to poor ticket sales?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turns out The X Factor lost more viewers year-on-year than we have had to worry about in ten. No matter how bad it may get in this thread... it could always be worse :p
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,056
    Forum Member
    Turns out The X Factor lost more viewers year-on-year than we have had to worry about in ten. No matter how bad it may get in this thread... it could always be worse :p

Blimey! X Factor drops nearly 2 million compared to last year's opening episode.

Am I right in thinking it went head-to-head with Doctor Who last year?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Blimey! X Factor drops nearly 2 million compared to last year's opening episode.

It did. Just a 15/20 overlap.
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    It did. Just a 15/20 overlap.

It would be interesting to see if it regains those figures during the week on catch-up, or if they're just gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nearly 2m? Okay, I revise my post to say that's over double what DW has lost in a decade.

Lets see what the future brings, though. Could see a healthy upswing, or Who could collapse completely. Who nose.
    It would be interesting to see if it regains those figures during the week on catch-up, or if they're just gone.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is pretty much the only programme I watch live these days, but it would be England v Wales 8pm on a Saturday (the 26th) wouldn't it! Have to be an iplayer job there, I think; unless it's on earlier than has become usual. Anyone any idea when Strictly starts it's Saturday run, btw?

Edit: GIYF. So SCD starts next Saturday; looks like iplayer for me for The Witches Familiar. Call myself a fan? ;-)
    Forum Member
    Nearly 2m? Okay, I revise my post to say that's over double what DW has lost in a decade. Lets see what the future brings, though. Could see a healthy upswing, or Who could collapse completely.

I always thought 'live' shows (although I appreciate the early X-Factor rounds aren't live) had an advantage over dramas, because viewers seemed to watch them at the time of broadcast, and save the recorded dramas for later.

But if the X-Factor viewing figures are right I wonder if that's beginning to change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought 'live' shows (although I appreciate the early X-Factor rounds aren't live) had an advantage over dramas, because viewers seemed to watch them at the time of broadcast, and save the recorded dramas for later.

But if the X-Factor viewing figures are right I wonder if that's beginning to change.

There is indeed a Sunday show, so you would think the recovery would be quick. Getting closer to the TV Player Report - launches on Thursday with the first report!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Sunday show.... 5.9m exc. +1

I don't know about you, but I blame Moffat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member

:o That's pretty awful for X Factor! Do we know if the share is down on last year? I don't think a lot of people were watching TV this weekend to be honest. Celebrity Big Brother ratings were awful but the share was about the same, so they could have just launched on a bad weekend?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o That's pretty awful for X Factor! Do we know if the share is down on last year? I don't think a lot of people were watching TV this weekend to be honest. Celebrity Big Brother ratings were awful but the share was about the same, so they could have just launched on a bad weekend?

Share down by 10% and 14%, apparently.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know about you, but I blame Moffat.

And The X Factor had 6.47m with a 30.2% share including +1.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I didn't even know X-Factor was back!

I'll have to try to get it on catch-up now :(
    Forum Member
    I cannot stand X-Factor. Hopefully this is good news for Doctor Who and Strictly but I guess we'll see.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand X-Factor. Hopefully this is good news for Doctor Who and Strictly but I guess we'll see.

To be honest I can't see too much happening with the Who ratings, they'll probably hang out between 7, 7 and a half. Less and less people are watching live or on TV, although the iPlayer ratings (which are being released week on week this year right or am I thinking of something else) should be very interesting :P
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    The question is, will the BBC smell weakness in the X-Factor and go gunning for it in defence of the current major BBC bashing by commercial broadcasters and the government, or will it be too scared to annoy ITV and schedule Doctor Who without any clashes?

I think there's plenty of footage in the first episode to create a powerful trailer that could draw a few live viewers from the X-Factor.

Somehow, I doubt any episodes will be going out after 9pm this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The TV Player Report has entered beta and the first report has been published.

There will be some waiting for comprehensive figures (right through to 2017) as not all platforms are being measured. Perhaps most importantly for us - data from the BBC iPlayer website is NOT currently included, and is still under testing / auditing. All4 is measured across iOS, Android and the Web, but discounts live streaming. ITV Player includes live streaming on iOS and the Web.

So we only have the iOS figures for the BBC, at present. Which is still interesting in itself when you see the numbers, I guess. Think of it this way, there are episodes of EastEnders and GBBO on iOS which are getting the sort of numbers on that one platform which Doctor Who loses between series. So if Who does well, we'll be on our way to closing the gap.

Pertinent screenshot. (thanks, Cameron)
    Other TV players and platforms are currently being audited and will be added to the report in the coming weeks.

We're a great step closer - so we'll see if more data is added before the series starts..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GB has kicked off with ratings predictions - any takers?

This is perhaps my favourite, from Pat_Tom_Matt
    Overnights: Ratings crisis (aka between 4.5m and 5.5m)*

Finals: Bit less of a ratings crisis (aka between 6.5m and 7.5m)*

AI: Proof that the general public want Moffat to go! (aka between 82 and 85)*
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offence for those who enjoy the stats and numbers game but I couldn't give a flying fig about ratings and overnights and A.I. Especially A.I which is one of the most nonsensical measuring tools ever invented.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offence for those who enjoy the stats and numbers game but I couldn't give a flying fig about ratings and overnights and A.I. Especially A.I which is one of the most nonsensical measuring tools ever invented.

Read your reply to dave in the spoiler thread and return to this place :p
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read your reply to dave in the spoiler thread and return to this place :p

Oi! At least my comments relevant! In a roundabout sort of way. Maybe. I taught myself not to care. It's too distressing. I'm amazed you have any patience.