BBC 1 (ONE) HD from 3rd November 2010 (Merged)

Comments

• AlberonAlberon Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Brand loyalty, means people watching the channel more right? So where is the evidence having a DOG increases channel viewing figures/or, not having one reduces them :)?

I suppose the idea is, you watch your favourite show, the DOG is in the corner and you subliminally associate that channel with good shows. Can't believe it actually works though.
  • mickbirch2000mickbirch2000 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently there is so little difference between letting the box upscale on 101 or letting the BBC upscale at source on 143 in terms of picture quality on the majority of programming on BBC1 (only approx 21% of programming is HD) that I'll stick with 101 because of the regional program problem. It'll be nice to have 143 available if I know a proper HD program that I want to watch is coming on.
    BBC HD was at least all so called HD programming.
  • TomM44TomM44 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    On the bright side, well done that the BBC and Sky HD channels have subtitles and audio description unlike ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. I thought it was an OFCOM requirement.
  • cjgperscjgpers Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised that when the GREEN button remind me option was displayed on screen, pressing the GREEN button took me to the option to setup a reminder/record on BBC1 LONDON.

What's that about? Are the BBC trying to encourage Scottish viewers to switch to BBC1 London? I would think it would be better to link the GREEN button to a reminder on BBC1HD,or if that's not available, to the correct REGIONAL BBC1 channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And on another point. I thought the BBC had a principle of NOT showing something on their HD channel BEFORE it was broadcast on the SD channel. So, tomorrow night we have the first episode of Wallace and Grommit on the BBC1 SD channel, but it was broadcast last night on the BBC1 HD channel. Have the BBC changed their rules?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    It was simulcast on BBC1 SD last night here. If Scotland is different then I think the responsibility for that is a local issue.
  • Dan the VanDan the Van Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjgpers wrote: »
    And on another point. I thought the BBC had a principle of NOT showing something on their HD channel BEFORE it was broadcast on the SD channel. So, tomorrow night we have the first episode of Wallace and Grommit on the BBC1 SD channel, but it was broadcast last night on the BBC1 HD channel. Have the BBC changed their rules?

I think you are confusing BBC HD with BBC1 HD. Maybe I'm confused by your post.

Dan

PS No longer confused by your post, what you have gained is another BBC1 channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    It was simulcast on BBC1 SD last night here. If Scotland is different then I think the responsibility for that is a local issue.

What's a "local" issue? BBC are responsible for the schedules aren't they?

I'm just getting confused about what is on when. Somehow BBC viewers in non-England regions have got to juggle between the differing schedules of BBC1 SD and BBC1 HD. Calling this a "simulcast" is nonsense.

Many programmes are now being shown in HD BEFORE the SD broadcast. Is the BBC's agenda here to encourage viewers outside England to switch their viewing to the England version of BBC?
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomM44 wrote: »
    On the bright side, well done that the BBC and Sky HD channels have subtitles and audio description unlike ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. I thought it was an OFCOM requirement.

I think the HD simulcasts have to be subtitled / AD'd from the end of 2011.

I of course could be wrong :p
  • TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised that when the GREEN button remind me option was displayed on screen, pressing the GREEN button took me to the option to setup a reminder/record on BBC1 LONDON.

What's that about? Are the BBC trying to encourage Scottish viewers to switch to BBC1 London? I would think it would be better to link the GREEN button to a reminder on BBC1HD,or if that's not available, to the correct REGIONAL BBC1 channel.
    The Green Button on BBC1 has been broken for a while, linking everything to BBC1 London instead of the relevant local BBC variant.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    What's a "local" issue? BBC are responsible for the schedules aren't they?
    They are but they are subject to constraints peculiar to those regions without their control.
  • TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just getting confused about what is on when. Somehow BBC viewers in non-England regions have got to juggle between the differing schedules of BBC1 SD and BBC1 HD. Calling this a "simulcast" is nonsense.
    The SD regional streams (i.e. Scotland, Wales, NI and English regions) have to be distributed as separate channels, your viewing card then determines which one is aliased into the '101' slot on the EPG.

BBC only have two HD slots available for the whole of the UK, so they have decided to use them for BBC1 "England" and BBC HD. Would you rather they do what ITV have done with ITV1 and not broadcast any BBC1 HD content at all to Scotland?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't see what benefit the BBC1 HD channel brings. It's not a simulcast of BBC1, despite what the BBC are pretending about it. And most of the content is SD. All it is achieving is confusion over programme schedules outside England.

The BBC now have 48 hours per day of broadcast time available across it's two HD channels, and they are wasting most of that with SD upscaled content that's not even simulcast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    I just don't see what benefit the BBC1 HD channel brings. It's not a simulcast of BBC1, despite what the BBC are pretending about it..

Gosh, didn't know that. Any examples, apart from Regional News?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    It seems that for some people shutting down the BBC would be the ideal..... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harrowing wrote: »
    Gosh, didn't know that. Any examples, apart from Regional News?

Where should I start. How about last night:

BBC1 Scotland
    7:30 Grand Tours of Scotland
    8:00 Holby City
    10:45 Ask Rhod Gilbert
    11:20 Film 2010
    00:00 Wonder Boys

BBC1 HD
    7:30 Wallace and Grommit
    8:00 Jimmys Food Factory
    8:30 Nigel Slaters SImple SUppers
    10:45 FIlm 2010
    11:25 Wonder Boys

Its like this all the time. BBC's claim that BBC1 HD is a simulcast is false for millions of their viewers. All it will achieve is to drive viewers away from their national BBC1 channels to this England version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    BBC1 England seems consistent.

But I get your issue with no Scotland simulcast.

18:00BBC News at Six The latest national and international news stories from the BBC News team, followed by weather. 18:30Midlands Today The latest news, sport and weather for the Midlands. 19:00The One Show If it has Britain talking then it will be talked about on the One Show. Jason Manford and Alex Jones bring viewers the stories that matter from across the country. 19:30Wallace and Gromit's World of... ...Invention. New series. 1/6. Nature Knows Best: The show looks at flying penguins in Germany, and self-cooling houses in Malawi. [AD,S] Then BBC News. 20:00Jimmy's Food Factory New series. Pub Grub: Science series in which farmer Jimmy Doherty asks what really goes into supermarket food. Jimmy makes some pub grub classics, including chicken kievs and oven chips. [AD,S] 20:30Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers New series. 1/8. New Tricks: Food writer Nigel Slater creates simple yet delicious meals. In this episode, he transforms favourite classic recipes, and puts a new spin on beans on toast. [AD,S] 21:00The Apprentice 5/12. Fashion: Business-based reality show. The candidates enter the world of fashion, as Lord Sugar challenges the teams to open pop-up shops at one of Europe's largest shopping centres.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member
    I just don't see what benefit the BBC1 HD channel brings. It's not a simulcast of BBC1, despite what the BBC are pretending about it. And most of the content is SD. All it is achieving is confusion over programme schedules outside England.

The BBC now have 48 hours per day of broadcast time available across it's two HD channels, and they are wasting most of that with SD upscaled content that's not even simulcast.

It IS a simulcast of BBC 1 England save for regional news which represents a fairly minor proportion of the schedule.

As for Scotland, Wales and NI the position is a little different but really what is your problem. You can either watch BBC One Scotland or BBC One HD. Some programmes are at different times but is that really the problem you are making it out to be. You already have the option of all the BBC One regions on Sky anyway.

In due course there will be a BBC One Scotland HD channel but for now the funding and resources are not available.

As to HD content clearly the way forward is for HD simulcasts of linear channels. BBC HD was simply a way of maximising and showcasing HD output when the HD service was in its infancy.

If the BBC had no HD channels to date it would undoubtedly just launch HD versions of its existing channels. In due course that is what we will have. With over 50 HD channels on Sky to choose from most people won't give a rat's a**e that a fair bit of most channels is upscaled - that is the preserve of the likes of posters here who always seem to want to complain about something.

HD is a value added service. There is no obligation to provide HD programming 24 hours a day on an HD channel which is just an HD version of an existing channel. Surely having BBC One HD is better than it not being there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    As for Scotland, Wales and NI the position is a little different but really what is your problem. You can either watch BBC One Scotland or BBC One HD.

And that's exactly my point. We humans are creatures of habit. HD viewers will adapt to watching everything on BBC1 HD (England). They won't bother turning over to BBC1 Scotland, and will no longer see adverts for BBC1 Scotland programmes, for example. Or see Scottish specific political programmes, etc....

And guess what will happen next year during the Scottish parliamentary elections. Will Scottish party political broadcasts be simulcast on BBC1 HD (England), or will we get the English party broadcasts instead?
  • EUROPAEUROPA Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont know why scotland dont have the SCOTTISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION from their own country,with common programes joint funded by BBC,like the old regional opt outs from real ITV days...i mean if you can release a MAD BOMBER ,then why cant you make your mind up over the telly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And another thing. Why, on Sunday afternoon, is BBC1 HD a simulcast of BBC2? Formula 1 racing is on BBC2 on Sunday. Or doesn't England get the Eastenders omnibus on Sunday afternoon?
    Forum Member
    And that's exactly my point. We humans are creatures of habit. HD viewers will adapt to watching everything on BBC1 HD (England). They won't bother turning over to BBC1 Scotland, and will no longer see adverts for BBC1 Scotland programmes, for example. Or see Scottish specific political programmes, etc....

And guess what will happen next year during the Scottish parliamentary elections. Will Scottish party political broadcasts be simulcast on BBC1 HD (England), or will we get the English party broadcasts instead?

The simplest answer to your first point is yes they will.

BBC One Scotland will still be on 101. Really if anyone wants to watch Scottish PPBs or local shows they are not hard to find. We live in a multi channel world. Learn to live with it. If anything the evidence is that currently people default to 101 etc rather than the HD channel.

People are free to watch what they want. They don't have to watch BBC One Scotland now if they don't want to but presumably they do.

I do think the perfect solution though is to bring in HD variants for Sco, Wales and NI. That will come in time.
  • UnhbanUnhban Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I tend to agree with cjgpers on the point of SD upscaled content. For me it's a bit of a white lie for the BBC to call it a HD channel and I'm certain a newcomer to a HD telly would expect better.

Apparently however, there has to be a certain percentage of HD content on a channel to call it that. For me this percentage should be 99%. Some of the upscaled SD is dire PQ.

Unh.
    Forum Member
    And another thing. Why, on Sunday afternoon, is BBC1 HD a simulcast of BBC2? Formula 1 racing is on BBC2 on Sunday. Or doesn't England get the Eastenders omnibus on Sunday afternoon?

Again it is a simulcast of BBC One except in Scotland. Only in Scotland is Formula 1 on BBC2 and Eastenders on BBC1. In England the opposite situation applies. It is due to Scotland not showing the Footy (Cardiff v Swansea) which is on BBC1 England in HD.
    Forum Member
    Unhban wrote: »
    I tend to agree with cjgpers on the point of SD upscaled content. For me it's a bit of a white lie for the BBC to call it a HD channel and I'm certain a newcomer to a HD telly would expect better.

Apparently however, there has to be a certain percentage of HD content on a channel to call it that. For me this percentage should be 99%. Some of the upscaled SD is dire PQ.

Unh.

The more HD content the better and with time it will increase as happened with Colour in the 60s and 70s. However, to insist HD channels could only launch with 99% HD content would simply mean we had a lot less HD channels.

I would sooner have BBC One HD and all the ITV channels etc with some HD content and the rest upscaled (and I don't agree with your comment in that regard) rather than not have them.

The only reason we have separate HD channels is for technical reasons. Ideally there would be only one version of each channel with HD and SD programmes where those with suitable boxes would see HD and those without would see SD. Unfortunately many SD boxes cannot handle HD channels. If everybody had a HD capable box the situation would change.