Options

Smallville - worth watching?

Hi All,

I used to watch Smallville but grew bored of the format - must be at least 8 years since I watched it.

How much has Smallville moved on since series 2 and do you think it would be worth renting them and watching it over?

Thanks

ScampDoodle

Comments

• Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I have watched all the seasons up to date and whilst I got abit bored around seasons 5/6 it has got abit better now that Clark it acting more like superman, although it does still have its moments of not being so good but I would still say its worth a watch as it has definitely changed from the early seasons you have seen :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Smallville for the first time in August and have watched all the episodes. I'm currently rewatching it (on Season 2) and it's changed A LOT. It's one of those shows where you get a few bad episodes but stick with it and you'll enjoy it.

Also, from Series 3 onwards they branch away from the tiresome 'freak-of-the-week' episodes.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They have never managed to re-capture the magic of the early Clark amd Lex homoerotic looks and longing, and
    went too far in making Lana a complete Mary Sue, but once she went it got loads better. Once Michael Rosenbaum left, Chloe was easily the best thing in it, due to Alison Mack being so damned good.
  • Options
    kristinand24kristinand24 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me seasons 8, 9 and now 10 have been the best.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    It went from basically being the same episode every week to what is now a completely different show..
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very much tied into all the comic book stuff these days appealing to a certain audience rather than what it was before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

I used to watch Smallville but grew bored of the format - must be at least 8 years since I watched it.

How much has Smallville moved on since series 2 and do you think it would be worth renting them and watching it over?

Thanks

ScampDoodle

Same! But I started re-watching from Season 8, when they finally started the Lois Clark thing. I hated Lana and I grew so bored of it. But Seasons 8 and 9 have been amazing, purely because of the whole Lois/Clark coupling. So if you like them, start watching from season 8. You can get back into it really quickly and it's not as angsty as in the early seasons.
  • Options
    superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 9 was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. Season 10 (so far) has been one of the worst things I've ever seen on TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies, as others have stated, the 'freak-of-the-week' format of the early days got boring, and the Clark/Lana thing was even worse - IMO

I may give it another go - but skip a few series, as by the sounds of it it has progressed quite a lot since the format has changed.
  • Options
    GiarcYekrubGiarcYekrub Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    superboy wrote: »
    Season 9 was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. Season 10 (so far) has been one of the worst things I've ever seen on TV.

What are you on about season 10 has been the same as season 9 which I agree has been one of the best of the show

Actually I've just been watching from season 1 episode 1 and baring some dodgy Jimmy Olsen season 8 episodes and krypto-mutant of the week in seasons 1 & 2 it's been great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you on about season 10 has been the same as season 9 which I agree has been one of the best of the show

Are you being serious? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, Only seen up to and including Patriot but Harvest was the only one I'd rate below excellent but that has
    some good clark lois moments
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Kristin Kreuk

2. Laura Vandervoort

Reason enough by themselves
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    I've watched Smallville from the start and think seasons 8 and 9 were 2 of the best, but I can't recommend watching it. The show took too long to evolve and, with the amount of turds you have to sit through to get the good stuff, it's really not worth it.

If you are willing to skip past the really bad parts, 4, 6 and 7 aren't worth watching, apart from the 4 finale and the Green Arrow episodes.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member

I think season 10 been amazing so far.

Well think its worth giving a chance. Like any long running show its had its bad season but there are still enjoyable to watch but when re watching there are episode I can not watch the bug guy episode being one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    saturn5 wrote: »
    1. Kristin Kreuk

2. Laura Vandervoort

Reason enough by themselves

Lol I found Kristin Kreuk a big reason NOT to watch. Couldn't stand Lana. Only really got into Smallville once she was out of the picture
  • Options
    kristinand24kristinand24 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 10 has been amazing. Only episode i dont like so far is Supergirl.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kristin kreuk is the only reason i stuck with smallville during s4-7

s1-3-great
    4-6 attrocious
    7-ok
    8-brilliant
    9-alright
    10-so so...so far

if you didnt like it during s2 i wouldnt reccommend getting back into it personally
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally

Season 1 - OK
    Good start but descend into angsty stuff with Lana and Witney and was very dependant on kryponite mutant of the week
    Season 2 - Good
    With the caves and Clarks ship some intresting arcs
    Season 3 - Awesome
    Awesome start with Red Kryptonite Clark in Metropolis, Lex and Lionel competing throughout, more cave stuff, One of the best finales
    Season 4 - meh! First Half Good Second Half
    4 seasons of high school = meh! High School American Football = meh!
    Countess and the quest to find the stones of knowledge was great and Chloe discovers
    the truth :)
    Season 5 - Excellent
    Brainiac, Zod and Lex drifting towards the darkness, and the death of Jonathan Kent
    Season 6 - Good
    Enjoyed Lana finally discovering Clarks identity and the zoners
    Season 7 - Good
    Supergirl, Veritas, Bizaro Clark
    Season 8 - Good
    Enjoyed Clark lois but Davis Bloom and Jimmy got on my nerves
    Season 9 - Excellent
    Zod, Clark Lois @ Daily Planet, Time Travel, Hawkman & Co
    Season 10 - Good
    More of the good stuff from season 10, will lex return or not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite following the show for the entire 10 years, I have several issues with this season. Firstly, I don't find the storylines very engaging. The VRA act is an utter bore and has been done a million times before, and executed better. Moreover, their exectuion of Darkseid is horrendous. Yes, I understand that it can be costly to implement a big bad evil God, but if you can't afford to do it properly... just don't go there, you'll ruin it. This 'mist' idea that turns into a bunch of crows and goes around infecting people isn't Darkseid. Linked to that, I think another weakness is that this villain has no personal connection to Clark - Braniac, Zod, Doomsday (etc) have always had that personal connection and that made those scenes and those villains far more engaging than this puff of smoke.

Another thing I don't like is the excessive filler. Was there really a need for episodes like 'Harvest' and 'Isis' in the final season?! For me those were two of the poorest episodes I've seen over the 10 years. That may be linked to the fact that they've decided to include Erica Durance in all 22 episodes this year. She doesn't need to be in every single episode, a lot of them yes, but putting her in every single one just results in an extra few boring scenes per episode, or in the case of Harvest and Isis, an extra few boring episodes. These extra episodes may also be why she's suddenly because a member of the Justice League... ridiculous idea.

I hope the second half of the season focuses more on Clark's destiny and less on his stale to watch relationship. He needs to be making strides towards becoming Superman but at the moment he comes across as the same idiot blaming himself for mistakes and making stupid decisions, albeit with a slightly deeper voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite following the show for the entire 10 years, I have several issues with this season. Firstly, I don't find the storylines very engaging. The VRA act is an utter bore and has been done a million times before, and executed better. Moreover, their exectuion of Darkseid is horrendous. Yes, I understand that it can be costly to implement a big bad evil God, but if you can't afford to do it properly... just don't go there, you'll ruin it. This 'mist' idea that turns into a bunch of crows and goes around infecting people isn't Darkseid. Linked to that, I think another weakness is that this villain has no personal connection to Clark - Braniac, Zod, Doomsday (etc) have always had that personal connection and that made those scenes and those villains far more engaging than this puff of smoke.

Another thing I don't like is the excessive filler. Was there really a need for episodes like 'Harvest' and 'Isis' in the final season?! For me those were two of the poorest episodes I've seen over the 10 years. That may be linked to the fact that they've decided to include Erica Durance in all 22 episodes this year. She doesn't need to be in every single episode, a lot of them yes, but putting her in every single one just results in an extra few boring scenes per episode, or in the case of Harvest and Isis, an extra few boring episodes. These extra episodes may also be why she's suddenly because a member of the Justice League... ridiculous idea.

I hope the second half of the season focuses more on Clark's destiny and less on his stale to watch relationship. He needs to be making strides towards becoming Superman but at the moment he comes across as the same idiot blaming himself for mistakes and making stupid decisions, albeit with a slightly deeper voice.
    I think your misreading Darkseid as the big bad, I think that darkseid is just fostering doubt and fear and making the need for Superman. The big bad will be Lex but will it a be Rosenbaum Lex (I hope so) or some clone
    I find the Clark Lois moments some of the best bits and part fulfilment of his destiny
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am watching from the beginning as I didn't see it first time round. I have just got to the episode 100 - I do know what happens but I am finding it difficult to watch straight off and will see the rest later.

Regarding Lois, I am sure - or rather fairly sure - that she has something to do with Clark finding his destiny. In Season 9 this was hinted at.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I am a fan, but must admit to intensely disliking a few seasons and any story about Lana. I kept watching it basically to get to the point it is at now and am enjoying it again.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shouldn't he have become Superman by now ? I mean he must be in his late 20's
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good until Lex leaves, after that it goes downhill