Do other countries have "posh" accents?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    habanalahabanala Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TxBelle wrote: »
    no, this is really a posh American accent...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texan_English

"turd blossom" lol yall are so classy in texas!
  • Options
    TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habanala wrote: »
    "turd blossom" lol yall are so classy in texas!

Yeah, we have such a way with words don 't we??:D
  • Options
    CowieCowie Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Aussies no.
    The Aussie accent is the same across the country.
    At least it was when I was there some 13 years ago.

We do have regional accents though very slight many wouldnt pick up on. When I go to QLD every shop keeper asks where I'm from so I mustn't sound local.

We do have class accents. Search for housos on youtube for an example of a lower class accent. I slip into it when angry but have had people ask how old I was when I came out from the uk (5th gen aussie) round my vowels or some such rubbish.
  • Options
    BatwingBatwing Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

No because 'posh' is British slang.
    But there must be an accent which is deemed 'upmarket' or something similar musn't there?

This happens in most countries.

I already told you there isn't. The way a person speaks in America does not denote their level of wealth or social status.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    America: Loyd Grossman :D

aye just saw Grossman on the telly and you're spot on there!
  • Options
    boogiepimpsboogiepimps Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    America does, it's sort of a faux English accent that is very annoying.
    Stewie Griffin style, perhaps? :p
    Ænima wrote: »
    America: Loyd Grossman :D
    Loyd Grossman sounds Australian to me! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I've always been made fun of by the way I speak. Even my siblings call me posh. I do wonder why it is though that I can't seem to speak in a "standard" Australian accent.
    Most people say, I sound "posh". Certainly not like Alf Stewart. I have an aversion to the word "mate".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the US you have the deep south accent which seems to be a slow drawl and the Bronx accent is quite guttural. Then there is the New England accent which seems posh (think: Katharine Hepburn).
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Yep, people from Stockholm speak posh Swedish!
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Rich /= Posh

That's not necessarily the case in England .You can be as poor as a church mouse but yet be extremely posh Or the other way round , Becks is loaded yet would still be considered an East End oik ,Welcome to the very confusing English class system.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    In Germany they have regional accents. I can speak fairly good German and I can often pick up roughly where someone is from in Germany too.

The people in Hanover are said to have the "purest" German, or "Hoch Deustch" (High German). The people in the South speak a different German, especially in Bavaria. Switzerland and Austria are again different versions of German. My friend from the former Easter Germany speaks with a "funny" accent according to my friend from the North of Germany and both of them use different terms and slang to my friend from Bavria from example, all 3 of them may have some difficulty understanding someone from Zurich.

It's a bit like someone from Shetland trying to be understood by someone from New Zealand...both may be speaking English, but such a variation may make it hard for them to converse.
  • Options
    scout35scout35 Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    habanala wrote: »
    Stewie from family guy has a blatantly posh / southern english accent!
    I do think its crazy that you can go from street to street in the uk and hear a completely different accent but you can travel from state to state in the us / australia / canada and hear the same one!
    I had no idea about the many different french accents (they obviously all sound the same to me!) it must just occur in older countries that have had hundreds of years to develop an accent. Maybe mass immigration has something to do with it aswell?

That is not true.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's evident in France, I noticed different accents between Lyon, Avignon and Tours.

They say Lyon speak the French equivalent of RP, but they say the purest French is spoken in the Touraine region.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure every country will have a posh accent/way of speaking. America certainly does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know, but the Bushes are extremely prominent and always have been as are the Vanderbilts, Cooper's family.

Are all the Bushes, rich posh & stupid as George..Hopefully it is just George Junior
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batwing wrote: »
    I already told you there isn't. The way a person speaks in America does not denote their level of wealth or social status.

How come so many films and tv shows use accents for social demarcation then?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always thought the New England accent was considered the 'poshest' in America.................like the Kennedys and the Mayor of Springfield...................