Options

Some Morhers...

2»

Comments

• Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    I still think it's odd that the DVD release has this part of the scene cut out. People are paying money to buy the DVD and expect the full episodes. It's pretty tame really. I think it still might be a 'contractual' issue with the actor(s) as mentioned on the box set.
    The reason I say this is that all series of 'Love Thy Neighbour' are available where Jack Smethurst's character refers to Rudolph Walker's character as 'Sa*bo, 'Ni* N*g' and 'Bl*ckie' relentlessly for 8 series.
    Why is this ok but the 1 scene in SMDAE is such a 'no no'? :confused:
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    Series 3 is so much weaker than the first two, which are comedy gold. The writing has gone downhill and Frank is now very grating. I've noticed a couple of continuity issues already

I guess Michael had been away from the role for too long. He's really overdoing it with the expressions, seems a different character even and has changed the accent!

I remember an interview at the time, in which Michael said they were developing the character, to be more assertive. The stunts were still pretty amazing, especially the motorcycle courier episode.
  • Options
    acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    The episode was aired on the 11 Nov 1978. It is political correctness gone mad. It seems that we live in a society where we dont want to offend anyone

Yes, we should live in a society that wants to offend people instead.

What a constructive, joyous world it would be. A real utopia.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Its quite stupid to edit history away.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Racism is a hatred towards people form other creeds.. saying the word Black, Indian, Pakistani or even putting brown make-up on doesn`t mean you hate them.

Does that mean an impersonator who does an impression of Victor Medrew mean he hates Victor Meldrew?
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Its quite stupid to edit history away.

I agree. It kind of treats the modern nation as an infant that cant cope with putting past events into perspective. Airbrushing history in any respect is wrong imo.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I havent seen an episode for some years(didnt BBC One use it as a Saturday teatime filler?) but I thought Michael Crawford provided storylines rather than write actual episodes?

Norman Wisdom was suggested wasnt he as Frank?

Wonder if that meant the BEEB would wipe the episodes as there isnt much Wisdom tv work in existence, only his films!
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,009
    Forum Member
    He wasn't even racist, he was pleasant towards them. All he did was assume they couldn't speak English very well.
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The series is surprisingly politically incorrect, from what I remember ,for 2015 and it is a shame the BBC decide to censor it.

An episode of The Saint in 1965 set in Vietnam when insurgents (Burt Kwouk) were trying to oust a British farm owner and referred to them as Wily Oriental Gentlemen but in it's abbreviated form. It survived on to the DVD and onto youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM8pc89Dx2o at 37.35 written by Terry Nation
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The series is surprisingly politically incorrect, from what I remember ,for 2015 and it is a shame the BBC decide to censor it.

An episode of The Saint in 1965 set in Vietnam when insurgents (Burt Kwouk) were trying to oust a British farm owner and referred to them as Wily Oriental Gentlemen but in it's abbreviated form. It survived on to the DVD and onto youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM8pc89Dx2o at 37.35 written by Terry Nation

Ah Burt Kwouk. What a career. Random Far East gentlemen one minute, Kato in the Pink Panther films the next, then in the twilight of his career, a Chinese Yorkshireman in Last Of The Summer Wine!
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Ah Burt Kwouk. What a career. Random Far East gentlemen one minute, Kato in the Pink Panther films the next, then in the twilight of his career, a Chinese Yorkshireman in Last Of The Summer Wine!

And in 2000 an aging Japanese Samurai priest in Queen of Swords. This is the 4/3 pan and scan version, full of British Actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxYWUd6WkO4
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    I havent seen an episode for some years(didnt BBC One use it as a Saturday teatime filler?) but I thought Michael Crawford provided storylines rather than write actual episodes?
    !

Thats right.