Options

Have you seen your MP recently?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local MP is a member of the cabinet so understandably he's not around that much but he did come to the local hustings event a couple of weeks back which was good.
  • Options
    stevejk75stevejk75 Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have lived in my house for 35 years in sittingboune kent.The only mp to come to my house was Derek Wyatt,That was when labour was in power.He was a labour mp.Yes I did vote for him.And will vote labour again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I've had a number of leaflets from several candidates but not a single knock at the door.

No sign of my current MP. The only candidate that has been in the vicinity was at the other entrance to the train station (I only know this as the canvasser at the station entrance I use was telling a chap where she was).

I'm in a safe seat so I guess no one thinks it's worth bothering that much!
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    According to the local paper and Twitter, our MP has managed to find the town and has been out and about, he hasn't been round here though. We haven't had any door to door canvassers, just a lot of leaflets, mainly from Labour & Conservatives. We usually get visits on election day though, checking we voted.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    My MP does not have to bother so i have never seen her in the 14 years she has been an MP.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I lived in Leamington and marginal seat we did have a couple of them visit our home during General election campaigning.

Now I'm here in Stratford Upon Avon ive seen some battle buses and got tons of leaflets but that's it. No home visits but then it is a safe Tory seat
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's been canvassing around here. But then I do live in a very marginal constituency (in a county so marginal that even Cameron and Clegg have decided to make their presence known) that could go either way (and is predicted that he will lose it), so no wonder he's trying.

I suspect that no matter the outcome, that'll be it for 5 years
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but Cameron was up the road last week. First I heard was my Dad telling me he had been on Sky News!
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Our MP (or our last MP for the pedants) declined an invitation to a public debate on Monday that involved all of the candidates and was broadcast on local radio and streamed over the interweb. I think he's given up TBH.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, saw him on TV, talking utter sh*te about the spare room fine, I mean I'm no politician, but it was scary to see how little he knew about a policy he has so much support for, had I been in that studio I would have torn him a new one in less than 30 seconds.
    He certainly hasn't been doorstepping and his leaflet was in the bin before next doors was through their letter box, the Labour guy has been around, had quite a nice chat with him, really nice bloke,
    also the green person, the kipper got told "no thanks" and when he wanted me to say why, I said "you don't have enough time sorry"

problem is in this constituency you could put a blue rosette on a steaming pile of horse 'do' and people would still vote for it, and people insist on saying that the North east is all Labour, if only!!!
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    In Peterborough mine was out for photo ops but never visited houses luckily and was abusive to people who unsurprisingly wouldn't vote for him
    Saw an independent
    Here labours been canvassing but not the MP
  • Options
    SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, but it is a rock solid Tory seat here so I wasn't expecting to. Though I am expecting to see his majority reduced because of the tribulations he has been through and possible UKIP voting
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to be joking....where we live we are less than a mile from the boundary of the next constituency (and TBH by application of any common sense never mind ALL other administrative boundaries we should be in that one).

I doubt the incumbent even realises their constituency extends as far here...and why waste the petrol trying to find a place neither you not your predecessors have been seen in for more than thirty years.

The joy of the safe seat huh >:(
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen my Labour MP once in the ten years since she's been elected, but someone was kind enough to post a picture of her through my door last week. It's nice to see she hasn't aged too much over the past five years, life must be treating her well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Haven't mey any recently but I have met the recent MP previously
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen my Labour MP once in the ten years since she's been elected, but someone was kind enough to post a picture of her through my door last week. It's nice to see she hasn't aged too much over the past five years, life must be treating her well.

Normally you would only see your local MP if you needed advice from them or attended the same events they were attending they don't usually do house calls I've got a good Labour MP who we see quite a lot in various events ie schools, charities etc and he always replies to emails so we must be lucky in our area
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not seen our MP once in the 32 years we have lived here.
  • Options
    hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen our MP a great deal over the last five years. He is a very active supporter of community interests and I also had the pleasure of a private tour around the Palace of Westminster with him. Great bloke.

I would love to vote for him but his party is my second choice so I have to ignore personalities and go with the party whose policies I most closely align with.
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jos wrote: »
    I have lived in the same house for 32 years , I have never seen the current MP, we saw a previous member, once, about 20 years ago.

I have written to my current MP at least twice and on both occasions received a generic reply from his pa which bore no resemblance to the question asked.

Yes, I've done the same; about badger culling, fox hunting and fracking and on the first two occasions received the party line (the badger cull was apparently scientifically proven to work - I would say 'rubbish' but it doesn't actually express my true feelings about that load of codswallop). The third I've had no response. That's when he lost my vote (I have previously voted Conservative).

I did see him in town the other week at our Totally Locally market (award-winning as well! Very proud of my town!). He was on his own (no hangers-on, no acolytes, nothing), handing out blue Tory balloons. he cut somewhat of a pathetic figure. Didn't sway me toward voting for him, though.

About three weeks prior to that we got his election team in our neighbourhood (apparently they targeted the 'nice' areas) and I was able to tell one of them (who turned out to be a local councillor) exactly why I wouldn't be voting for them this time (as above, badger culling, fox hunting and fracking amongst other things).

I think he felt rather beleagured in the end although i was extremely polite. But it was the first and only opportunity I've had to put my point of view across.

We've had leaflets from the others (Labour, Green, LibDem etc). But no visits (at least not when I've been in).

Anyway, voted this morning and didn't put my cross next to any Conservative candidate (we're also voting the local council). Probably won't make any difference but hey ho. :)