Sports Commentators (non-football) (Part 2)

Comments

• LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,535
    Forum Member
    I haven't heard him yet on ESPN2 which may suggest that he will be only British Eurosport and NBC this year.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 22nd May - BBC Two Northern Ireland

Ulster Rugby Live: Glasgow Warriors v Ulster

Stephen Watson presented from the studio alongside Andy Ward and Stephen Ferris

Commentators: Jim Neilly and Ryan Constable

Reporter: Gavin Andrews, with Andy Nicol providing pitchside analysis

Saturday 23rd May - S4C

Clwb Rygbi: Munster v Ospreys

Gareth Roberts presented from the Scrum V studio alongside Dafydd Jones and Deiniol Jones

Commentators: Gareth Charles and Rhys Patchell

Red Button commentators: Andy Moore and Mark Jones (commentary in English)

Reporter: Owain Gwynedd
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 24th May - BBC Two Wales

Scrum V Sunday

Ross Harries presented alongside Jonathan Davies, Martyn Williams and Gareth Thomas, with Bethan Clement

Guinness Pro12 Semi-Finals
    Munster v Ospreys - Andy Moore and Mark Jones, with Owain Gwynedd conducting interviews (as S4C)
    Glasgow Warriors v Ulster - Jim Neilly and Ryan Constable, with Gavin Andrews conducting interviews (as BBC Two Northern Ireland)

Glamorgan County Silver Ball Trophy Final
    Ystrad Rhondda v Penallta (Talbot Athletic Ground) - Bethan Clement (reporting)

Interview with Ken Owens from Carmarthen Athletic (with club president Delme Owens) - Ross Harries

Bethan Clement was in the studio to voice her news round-up, which included a clip of Gavin Henson being carried off injured during the first leg of the Bristol v Worcester Warriors English Championship Play-Off Final, with pictures captioned as being courtesy of Sky Sports. She also voiced the intros to both Pro12 Semi-Final edits. There was also a feature previewing Wales' chances in the Rugby World Cup with thoughts from Sir Clive Woodward, Matt Giteau, Brad Thorn and Bryan Habana from a Barbarians training camp, but the interviewer went uncredited.

The closing montage of the programme, which was the last Scrum V Sunday of the season, was a Welsh rugby review of the season voiced by Eddie Butler in his usual poetic style.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friday 22nd May - BBC Two Northern Ireland

Ulster Rugby Live: Glasgow Warriors v Ulster

Stephen Watson presented from the studio alongside Andy Ward and Stephen Ferris

Commentators: Jim Neilly and Ryan Constable

Reporter: Gavin Andrews, with Andy Nicol providing pitchside analysis

BBC Alba: Calum Macaulay presented, Comms: Hugh Dan MacLennan & James Eddie
    BBC Alba Red button: Paul Mitchell & Scott Hastings
    Sky Sports: Miles Harrison, Stuart Barnes & Rory Lawson
  • OMcOMc Posts: 3,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Alba: Calum Macaulay presented, Comms: Hugh Dan MacLennan & James Eddie
    BBC Alba Red button: Paul Mitchell & Scott Hastings
    Sky Sports: Miles Harrison, Stuart Barnes & Rory Lawson

The Pro 12 broadcast contracts start to seem a bit farcical at this point, with the match on 3 different broadcasters (OK technically 2, but still).

How many will show the final?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMc wrote: »
    The Pro 12 broadcast contracts start to seem a bit farcical at this point, with the match on 3 different broadcasters (OK technically 2, but still).

How many will show the final?

I don't think it's farcical at all - for the three Play-Off matches, to me it seems only reasonable that Sky Sports should be allowed to show all three games albeit non-exclusively, as well as the national channels of the teams involved in each individual match. The Pro12 contract isn't so important to Sky that having exclusivity over the end-of-season matches would be of major benefit to them, and I think it's only fair to the other broadcasters to be able to show their teams' Play-Off fixtures.

As for the final, currently the Pro12 website only states that it will be on Sky Sports. Given that Glasgow and Munster made it to the final, I'm guessing BBC Alba and TG4 will also show the game. Neither BBC Two Wales and S4C are scheduled to be showing the final though, with no mentioned made of coverage on Scrum V Sunday, so I guess it might be the first time that the final will not be shown terrestrially in Wales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's farcical at all - for the three Play-Off matches, to me it seems only reasonable that Sky Sports should be allowed to show all three games albeit non-exclusively, as well as the national channels of the teams involved in each individual match. The Pro12 contract isn't so important to Sky that having exclusivity over the end-of-season matches would be of major benefit to them, and I think it's only fair to the other broadcasters to be able to show their teams' Play-Off fixtures.

As for the final, currently the Pro12 website states that it will be on Sky Sports but given that Glasgow and Munster made it to the final, I'm guessing BBC Alba and TG4 will also show the game. Neither BBC Two Wales and S4C are scheduled to be showing the final though, with no mentioned made of coverage on Scrum V Sunday, so I guess it might be the first time that the final will not be shown terrestrially in Wales.

It is daft to have these matches on potentially multiple BBC regions, rather than on the BBC nationwide. It's some of the little rugby remaining on terrestrial TV so they might as well promote it to a wider audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is daft to have these matches on potentially multiple BBC regions, rather than on the BBC nationwide. It's some of the little rugby remaining on terrestrial TV so they might as well promote it to a wider audience.

I wouldn't be against the BBC showing the Pro12 Play-Offs across the network nationally, but would they have the rights to do so? While Pro12 rights won't be that valuable to Sky Sports and I dare say they don't mind sharing games with regional channels, having the BBC televising these games UK-wide might be a step too far as far as their advertisers are concerned. It's also worth pointing out that the BBC regions themselves don't have rights to all games - S4C and TG4 showed the Munster v Ospreys games at the weekend, and I dare say BBC Two Wales would only be able to show one of the games potentially showing the Welsh regions.

Also, having a uniform network team across the BBC's Pro12 Play-Offs coverage would inevitably see some of the manistays of the BBC Two Wales/Two Northern Ireland/Alba coverage teams missing out - I don't think that would really be that fair or merited, especially if the Beeb were to parachute people in who don't regularly cover the league. I'd rather the BBC kept the things the way they are - although I'd hope they'd put as many games behind the Red Button as possible in order for viewers from across the UK of platforms like Freeview to be able to watch them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greene King Championship - Wednesday 27 May (Sky Sports 1)

Final 2nd Leg - Worcester Warriors v Bristol

James Gemmell at Sixways with Mike Friday and Martin Haag.

Commentators: Johnnie Hammond, Dewi Morris & Pat Sanderson

Reporter: Bill Latham
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby Union Friendly - Thursday 28 May (Sky Sports 1)

Ireland XV v Barbarians

Rupert Cox in the studio with Shane Horgan and Thinus Delport.

Commentators: Mark Robson & Alan Quinlan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top 14 Rugby - Friday 29 May (Sky Sports 1)

Quarter-Final - Stade Français v Racing Métro

James Gemmell in the studio with Lee Byrne and Ollie Phillips.

Commentators: Johnnie Hammond & Hugo Southwell

It also appears that all of the summer World Cup warm-up matches will be on Sky Sports.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviva Premiership Rugby - Saturday 30 May (BT Sport 1)

Final - Bath v Saracens

Craig Doyle at Twickenham with Lawrence Dallaglio, Mike Tindall and Brian O'Driscoll.

Commentators: Alastair Eykyn, Ben Kay & Austin Healey

Reporters: Martin Bayfield & Sarra Elgan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviva Premiership Rugby - Saturday 30 May (BT Sport 1)

Final - Bath v Saracens

Craig Doyle at Twickenham with Lawrence Dallaglio, Mike Tindall and Brian O'Driscoll.

Commentators: Alastair Eykyn, Ben Kay & Austin Healey

Reporters: Martin Bayfield & Sarra Elgan

Matt Dawson and Mark Cueto also doing a piece to camera.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top 14 Rugby - Saturday 30 May (Sky Sports 5)

Quarter-Final - Toulouse v Oyonnax

Rupert Cox in the studio with Tom May.

Commentators: Martin Gillingham & Dewi Morris
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is doing the Moto GP if Craig Doyle is at Twickers ?

thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guinness Pro12 - Saturday 30 May (Sky Sports 3)

Final - Glasgow Warriors v Munster

Alex Payne at the Kingspan Stadium, Ravenhill with Will Greenwood, Scott Quinnell, Rory Lawson and Alan Quinlan.

Commentators: Miles Harrison, Stuart Barnes & Ieuan Evans
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guinness Pro12 - Saturday 30 May (Sky Sports 3)

Final - Glasgow Warriors v Munster

Alex Payne at the Kingspan Stadium, Ravenhill with Will Greenwood, Scott Quinnell, Rory Lawson and Alan Quinlan.

Commentators: Miles Harrison, Stuart Barnes & Ieuan Evans

BBC 2 Scotland
    Dougie Vipond presenting pitchside with Andy Nicol.

Comms: Hugh Dan MacLennan and Andy Nicol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC 2 Scotland
    Dougie Vipond presenting pitchside with Andy Nicol.

Comms: Hugh Dan MacLennan and Andy Nicol

This coverage is also available south of the border via the BBC Red Button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviva Premiership Commentary Round-Up - 2014/15

Here are the final totals of matches called by individuals on BT Sport's coverage of Aviva Premiership Rugby this season:

Main Commentators:
    Nick Mullins - 36 (no change on last season)
    Alastair Eykyn - 33 (n/c)

Co-Commentators (forwards):
    Ben Kay - 40 (-2)
    Lawrence Dallaglio - 20 (n/c)
    David Flatman - 5 (+2)
    Nick Kennedy - 3 (+2)
    (no forward used) - 1 (n/c)

Co-Commentators (backs):
    Austin Healey - 38 (-5)
    Ugo Monye - 11 (+11)
    Matt Dawson - 10 (-12)
    Paul Grayson - 7 (+4)
    Andy Goode - 1 (+1)
    Matt Perry - 1 (n/c)
    James Simpson-Daniel - 1 (+1)

Most Common Combinations (who have called at least 5 matches):
    =1. Mullins/Dallaglio/Healey - 9
    =1. Mullins/Kay/Healey - 9
    3. Eykyn/Kay/Healey - 7
    =4. Eykyn/Dallaglio/Healey - 6
    =4. Eykyn/Kay/Monye - 6
    6. Eykyn/Kay/Dawson - 5

Full details of commentary teams on every match are available in spreadsheet form here.
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to note that Mark Nicholas was absent from tonight's Cricket on 5 programme - it was announced at the start that he had gone to a wedding. Michael Vaughan hosted in his stead, with Simon Hughes doing the interview at the end.

This was all very similar to (what I believe is) the only other time that Nicholas has been absent from the programme over the last ten years - that being the Headingley test of 2012, when Nicholas was hosting the Channel 9 coverage of the London Olympics. As it was for a whole test, Alec Stewart deputised as an extra commentator - whereas today they coped with just the three.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby Union Friendly - Sunday 31 May (Sky Sports 3)

England XV v Barbarians

Alex Payne at Twickenham with Mike Tindall, Michael Lynagh and Will Greenwood.

Commentators: Miles Harrison & Stuart Barnes

Reporter: Graham Simmonds
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    European Rugby Champions Cup - Sunday 31 May (Sky Sports 3)

Playoff Final - Gloucester v Bordeaux-Bègles

James Gemmell at Sixways with Phil Vickery and Hugo Southwell.

Commentators: Mark Robson & Ieuan Evans
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 29th May - BoxNation

WBC Silver Welterweight Championship: Amir Khan v Chris Algieri

Jim Rosenthal presented from the studio alongside Richie Woodhall

Commentators: John Rawling and Barry Jones

Reporter: Jimmy Smith (as Spike TV's Premier Boxing Champions)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 30th May - Sky Sports Box Office

IBF World Welterweight Championship: Kell Brook v Frankie Gavin

Johnny Nelson presented from the O2 Arena, London alongside Paulie Malignaggi, Carl Froch and Glenn McCrory

Commentators: Nick Halling, Jim Watt and Paulie Malignaggi

Reporter: Ed Robinson, with Paul Smith Jr providing ringside analysis

Undercard commentators:

Evgeny Gradovich v Lee Selby, Kevin Mitchell v Jorge Linares and Anthony Joshua v Kevin Johnson - Nick Halling and Jim Watt
    Nathan Cleverly v Tomas Man and John Ryder v Nick Blackwell - Adam Smith and Paulie Malignaggi
    Scott Cardle v Craig Evans - Adam Smith and Glenn McCrory
    Dave Ryan v John Wayne Hibbert - Adam Smith and Paul Smith Jr
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny Nelson is an odd choice as lead host on these nights. He isn't a patch on Dave Clark or Adam Smith for my money.