**The SIMON AMSTELL Appreciation Thread**

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello...couldn't actually find an AT for Simon, but if there is I'm sorry. However, if there's not..here it is :)

I've got my tickets for Simon in October, really looking forward to going. Anyone else going to the new tour?

So yeah, general Simon Amstell appreciation.
Feel free to share your stories, like if you've met him or been to any of his stand up shows before...you know the idea.

x

Comments

• chiefettechiefette Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I'm going to see him in October too, at Richmond Theatre. I think he's brilliant on Never Mind the Buzzcocks! I've never seen his stand up before though.

What day are you going?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    October 22nd, at St David's Hall. Its a shame its a Thursday but ah well.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing his stand up, but I'm slightly nervous 'cos I'm in the front row, literally in the middle, so he's sure to give me the Popworld/NMTB treatment haha :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3XbSML-bO0
    You might be interested in this Simon clip then ;)

I love him, I really do. He was epic on NMTB, absoloutely gutted he left. But least we got the tour.

I gotta be honest, I still can't quite believe he's turning 30 this year. I mean, he looks so young.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    October 22nd, at St David's Hall. Its a shame its a Thursday but ah well.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing his stand up, but I'm slightly nervous 'cos I'm in the front row, literally in the middle, so he's sure to give me the Popworld/NMTB treatment haha :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3XbSML-bO0
    You might be interested in this Simon clip then ;)

I love him, I really do. He was epic on NMTB, absoloutely gutted he left. But least we got the tour.

I gotta be honest, I still can't quite believe he's turning 30 this year. I mean, he looks so young.

Front row? :( Try and be as inconspicuous as possible, last time we saw him live he was merciless with some poor guy in the front row. It was very funny though. For us anyway :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Front row? :( Try and be as inconspicuous as possible, last time we saw him live he was merciless with some poor guy in the front row. It was very funny though. For us anyway :D

Aah, fun times. Public humilation for the entertainment of others..what Simon does best! :p
    When did you see him live? Anything interesting happen/did you get to meet him after the show? (You know the usual questions :cool:)
    I've heard that, as a stand up, he's a lot more..darker, shall we say, more Frankie Boyle-esque. That actually true?
    Forum Member
    I'm in the second or third row, I could have got front row but decided against it ;) thanks for the link, I'll take a look. . .

The weekend I go, I'm seeing Michael McIntyre on the Saturday and Simon Amstell on the Sunday!
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aah, fun times. Public humilation for the entertainment of others..what Simon does best! :p
    When did you see him live? Anything interesting happen/did you get to meet him after the show? (You know the usual questions :cool:)
    I've heard that, as a stand up, he's a lot more..darker, shall we say, more Frankie Boyle-esque. That actually true?

Yes, dark is one way to describe it. He's not at all like you see on PopWorld etc. He described his act as 'comedy as therapy' - he talks a lot about his family and relationships - it's very funny and makes you think.
    He doesn't interact hugely with the audience and the act seems fairly set - there's not much room for improv - but when he does target a member of the audience, it's priceless.

I saw him back in 2007, didn't get to meet him unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chiefette wrote: »
    I'm in the second or third row, I could have got front row but decided against it ;) thanks for the link, I'll take a look. . .

The weekend I go, I'm seeing Michael McIntyre on the Saturday and Simon Amstell on the Sunday!

I had the pleasure of seeing Michael during his tour last year. The man is a legend. Absoloutely genius.
    I think the show was 2 hours or something, but it seemed like 5 minutes, you'll have a really awesome night =]

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing Simon [which I am, I could literally burst with the excitement of it], it'll be sad when Buzzcocks comes back, minus Simon. Wonder if he'll mention Buzzcocks...
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness for the repeats on Dave! Mark Lamarr was nowhere near as funny, do you know who is taking over?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Love Simon Amstell. I've never seen his stand-up, only his work as a tv presenter.
    I was slightly apprehensive when he took over NMTB from the mighty Mark Lamarr, but I ended up probably liking him better! I'll be proper gutted to see him leave the show :(:(

I don't think they've announced who's replacing him yet. I hope it's someone good but maybe a bit unexpected, a bit like Amstell himself was.

The new series is going to be weird without him and Bill Bailey! I know Bailey left a while back but I missed him on it last series...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chiefette wrote: »
    Thank goodness for the repeats on Dave! Mark Lamarr was nowhere near as funny, do you know who is taking over?

Gotta loved Dave! :D
    I didnt mind Mark too much...I think he was worse towards the end. I can never get bored of the episodes when Simon was a guest.

Its gonna be another guest host rota...like series 8 when Simon guest hosted. I think the show is dead anyways now..though I'd like to see Phil take over as host, and say someone like Tim Minchin as another Team Captain...failing that, Russell Brand! :p:D
    Will the BBC EVER shw that Russell episode do we think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Simon Amstell. I've never seen his stand-up, only his work as a tv presenter.
    I was slightly apprehensive when he took over NMTB from the mighty Mark Lamarr, but I ended up probably liking him better! I'll be proper gutted to see him leave the show :(:(

I don't think they've announced who's replacing him yet. I hope it's someone good but maybe a bit unexpected, a bit like Amstell himself was.

The new series is going to be weird without him and Bill Bailey! I know Bailey left a while back but I missed him on it last series...

I was the same, the series lacked something without Bill [though, it did improve towards the end I guess]. At least we have Noel Fielding as the new Team Captain. :D

As I said, I think the show died last series, I'm surprised we have a new series to be honest, especially with Simon leaving. It all rests on Phil's shoulder I spose now, he's been the only form of consistency throughout the run of th show [in that he hasn't left himself]. Gotta give the man credit for committment, the shows been going since 1996 hasn't it?
  • farmermikefarmermike Posts: 314
    Forum Member

I'm going to see him in Harrogate. Had chance of either front row, in the middle, or half way back in the stalls. I was a coward!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmermike wrote: »
    I'm going to see him in Harrogate. Had chance of either front row, in the middle, or half way back in the stalls. I was a coward!

Awh man, I'm nervous about the front row now haha

Isn't Simon doing Edinburgh Fringe Festival this year? Anyone here going?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why did leave :(

who could replace him ? :confused: that jack fella off TNT although i'm not sure
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why did leave :(

who could replace him ? :confused: that jack fella off TNT although i'm not sure

Simon? He left because he wanted to concentrate on his stand up.
    I don't think anyone can replace Simon really, he made that show his own IMO. As I mentioned earlier, I'd like to see Phil as host, and someone like Tim Minchin, or a guest panellist/captain from the last series who was popular filling the Team Captain spot.
    It should be interesting to see who is lined up for the guest host rota this series, its how NMTB execs found Simon afterall.

I'm still hoping that the BBC grow a pair, and show the "lost" Russell Brand ep..:D
  • yagyag Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was he in Blue??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yag wrote: »
    was he in Blue??

Was who in Blue?
  • farmermikefarmermike Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    was he in Blue??

No, I think he was in pink when I last saw him!
  • yagyag Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was who in Blue?

Simon Amstell was in Blue??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Amstell was in Blue??

Noo, you're thinking of Simon Webbe.
    If the NMTB episodes with Lee Ryan and Anthony Costa are anything to go by, Simon [Amstell] hates Blue...I think he'd be insulted lol
  • chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always though Simon was fantastic on both Popworld and NMTB, but since the whole Darren Hayes fiasco, I've completely lost any respect for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chandleo wrote: »
    I always though Simon was fantastic on both Popworld and NMTB, but since the whole Darren Hayes fiasco, I've completely lost any respect for him.

Isn't Darren Hayes the guy who Simon "forced" in outing himself? That was pre-NMTB wasn't it?

Anyhoo, back to appreciating :p, you can't deny Simon has an incredible talent, I can't think of anyone -comedian or otherwise- who is as quick-witted, sharp-minded, acid-tongued and inteligent as Simon is.
    You've got to admire the guy really, he doesn't care what people say about him, a quality I love and find really refreshing in the current OTT PC society we now live in. :D

As a kind of, side note, I don't know if anyone has seen the 'Viddycasts' fpr Russell Brand's Radio Show, but I found the two Simon ones on Youtube...should anyone be interested...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JzygxOXzbo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxlCtVQlSGY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know when Simons tour starts?
    I was only ever interested in the Cardiff date :P
  • sweet cheekssweet cheeks Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Simon! I'm going to see him next Thursday. Can't wait - glad I'm nowhere near the front row heheh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Simon! I'm going to see him next Thursday. Can't wait - glad I'm nowhere near the front row heheh!

How can anyone NOT love Simon? :D
    Isn't that the first date of the tour?
    Thursday is October 1st right?

Be sure to review in this thread, I'll be interested to hear how it goes. :)

Have you seen any of Simon's stand up before? Or will next Thursday be the first?

On a different note, does anyone know anything about that sitcom Simon was penning, about his childhood in a Jewish household? All I can find out is it had the working title 'Grandma's House' and the read through was well received by the BBC. I hope it gets comissioned, would love to see it.