Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markmag wrote: »
    Any made up word? Nunnah?
    This whole thing feels as silly as fuss as plebgate..

Except of course "Plebgate" wasn't silly.

Policemen, lied and colluded with each other in order to have a minister of state sacked from his job
    So, No, not really the same thing at all.

Personally, I think its a pretty slow news day if this is the biggest story they've got to run with.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,923
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    And why would he mumble it if it were a made-up word?

To wind up such people as the editor of the Daily Mirror?
  • diamondcatdiamondcat Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drivel, drivel drivel and a bit more drivel. Was anything offensive said? No. There is no 'N' word. In fact, the people who keep condemning JC should maybe watch Top Gear on occasion and see how courteous he can be. And no, I'm not being ironic.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And no-one has told Amazon

I'm not going to click the link but I presume that is an original copy of that particular book, first published in 1939, whose title has since been changed. Because one word used in the title is deeply offensive.

Tony Hall seems like a sensible chap, it will be very interesting to see what he has to say about this. I'd put the odds on Clarkson being removed from the programme (or at least told to take six months off and think about life) at about evens.

I wonder how long the Beeb website can hold out before it covers the story, can't be too many sensible UK news outlets who aren't reporting on it.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diamondcat wrote: »
    Drivel, drivel drivel and a bit more drivel. Was anything offensive said? No. There is no 'N' word. In fact, the people who keep condemning JC should maybe watch Top Gear on occasion and see how courteous he can be. And no, I'm not being ironic.

Yeah, I mean it`s not like he has form or anything is it....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarksons-9-most-outspoken-3480134#.U2GERHfXjfc.twitter

Gone global now.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/themargin/2014/04/30/top-gears-jeremy-clarkson-trumps-donald-sterling-with-racist-slur/
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    I'm not going to click the link but I presume that is an original copy of that particular book, first published in 1939, whose title has since been changed. Because one word used in the title is deeply offensive.
    A number of original used copes (plus picture of the book) from a number of Marketplace sellers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diamondcat wrote: »

He says it under his breath, but he does say it.

To recap, he has made insulting remarks towards people from Mexico and India, used a derogatory term towards Asian people on the programme, and now this. What a lovely chap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A number of original used copes (plus picture of the book) from a number of Marketplace sellers.

Well that makes it ok then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that makes it ok then.
    Why do you say that? Did I imply it? No.

I gave you a description so that you would be better informed. The sales entries exist, that is a fact. It's not an adult-rated page, that is a fact. Amazon have put a picture of the book on the page. That is also a fact. And perhaps that picture is questionable as well (and that's an opinion).

And I take you back to my original point which was made in context (yes, that word again, rather important).

So please, don't presume to put words into my mouth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you say that? Did I imply it? No.

I gave you a description so that you would be better informed. The sales entries exist, that is a fact. It's not an adult-rated page, that is a fact. Amazon have put a picture of the book on the page. That is also a fact. And perhaps that picture is questionable as well (and that's an opinion).

And I take you back to my original point which was made in context (yes, that word again, rather important).

So please, don't presume to put words into my mouth.

I fail to see the relevance of that example. Just because Amazon sells copies of a book with a deeply offensive word in the title does not make it ok for Jeremy Clarkson to use it on an outtake of Top Gear, if in fact that is what he said. Which it appears to me, and several newspapers and other commentators, that he did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fail to see the relevance of that example.
    You must have also failed to see the relevance of the reference to Kiwi Boot Polish as suggested by JELLIES0 (the poster that I originally quoted, in context). You didn't even question it.

Not that it (the Amazon reference) really matters. If you don't see the relevance, then maybe just move on.
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would honestly live in JC's mindset and world than any of the offended on here, and like someone said before he can actually be very courteous and gallant.
    There is a place on this earth for the JC's of this world as it stops most of us from becoming too earnest and up ourselves..... JC is provocative but I doubt he is racist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must have also failed to see the relevance of the reference to Kiwi Boot Polish as suggested by JELLIES0 (the poster that I originally quoted, in context). You didn't even question it.

Not that it (the Amazon reference) really matters. If you don't see the relevance, then maybe just move on.

Jellies' example isn't a very good one either. Just because the BBC didn't (it does now, I believe) bleep out the name of a dog in the Battle of Britain when it broadcast the film in the 1970's or '80's doesn't mean that the term was not offensive at that time. That is being used in a different context, as is the book currently sold on Amazon. Amazon are not endorsing the use of the word, they are just selling a book with that in the title.

It would appear that some forum posters are trying to justify what Clarkson said as acceptable, or shift the blame to the Mirror, or claim he didn't say what he appeared to say. I disagree with all of those positions to varying degrees. If the BBC give this a thorough investigation and conclude he said what it appears he did, I would like to think he is in very hot water with them. However, their track record with (not) taking decisive action over prior racists comments makes me wonder if they will.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again, lets all get offended on the back off something that wasn't even said. Ridiculous.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah sack the ****, ive just watched it with the volume right up, and all i can hear is nurr nurr nurr nurr, hes banged to rights, clear as day hes saying the n word, im bloody outraged! :mad:

:D
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    People can choose to be offended or be genuinely insulted according to their own morals and background if the situation provokes such a reaction.

However, on this occasion, The Mirror are clearly inciting offense. They are asking their readers to be offended and seeking that reaction in others who otherwise would be oblivious to the situation. I find it offensive that my own intelligence is being insulted by their baiting tactics.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. And I strongly advise various forum users not to recite what the perceive to be a harmless nursery rhyme next time they are e.g. riding the New York subway.
    Unless they happen to be IC3, in which case it seems to be permissible.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    If it was, then no-one told the BBC as they were showing the Battle Of Britain film without censoring the dog's name and no-one told the makers of Kiwi Boot Polish either.
    I think you are thinking of the Dambusters film.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    When I was at primary school in the 80's we said tigger. Where's a clip of the video because I cant see it on the link provided :confused:
    Sounds like a non story, it wasnt ever broadcast or intended for broadcast. Of course the n-word is offensive and hurtful (I wouldnt use it) but if he did say it he was probably remembering the version he knew growing up. Who cares anyway, its just a silly rhyme :D
    In other stories on the same page it said "Clarkson in race row for calling black terrier Didier" (after Didier Drogba) - WTF? How is that racist because the dog is black and Drogba is black? So F*CKING WHAT? :confused:
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can choose to be offended or be genuinely insulted according to their own morals and background if the situation provokes such a reaction.

However, on this occasion, The Mirror are clearly inciting offense. They are asking their readers to be offended and seeking that reaction in others who otherwise would be oblivious to the situation. I find it offensive that my own intelligence is being insulted by their baiting tactics.

Its clearly not working, a poll on the Mirror site asking should Clarkson be sacked, 78% of respondents clicked NO, a similar poll in the Guardian this Morning had almost 60% voting NO.

I believe Clarkson and the Mirror have a history of animosity ?
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So anyone who dares defend him (sometimes against flimsy "evidence") is a casual racist in your opinion? Fine at least we know.

Not quite. I'm saying people who watch Top Gear are obviously fine with casual racism, not that they ARE casual racists. It's not like this is the first time Clarkson has been accused of racism afterall.

I'm fine with people watching Top Gear, that doesn't mean I'm a Top Gear viewer.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    No doubt, when Jessa started the rhythm, he didn't realise where it would take him, until a few syllables before so had to "fluff" the N word, recognising that it was not appropriate.
    Reminds of when I started to say "I have been working like a b____" until my conscious mind caught up with my mouth and I was able to change it to "slave" in time.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Agree with what Richard Hammond has tweeted "i can list a million things wrong with him but he is absolutely not racist. An idiot, yes"
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use the word niggard instead and just wait for all the righteous indignation.
    nig·gard / ˈnigərd/
    • n. often offens. a stingy or ungenerous person.

D.C. Mayor Acted 'Hastily,' Will Rehire Aide
    D.C. Mayor Anthony A. Williams said yesterday that he will rehire a former top aide who resigned last month because some city employees were offended that the aide used the word "niggardly" in describing how he would have to manage a fund's tight budget.
    The mayor said that an internal review had "confirmed for me that Mr. Howard did use the word 'niggardly,' but did not use a racial epithet" during a Jan. 15 discussion with two employees of the Office of the Public Advocate. "Niggardly" means miserly and has no racial connotation.
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the clip wasn't broadcast, could this thread be moved to the Outraged of Tuscany, Gruan readers section please. :D