Pushing Daisies Episode 2 - Is this a Joke?

glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
Forum Member
BBC News

ITV drops Pushing Daisies episode

Pushing Daisies was nominated for three Golden Globes in the US
The second episode of Anna Friel's hit US drama Pushing Daisies will not be screened by ITV, it has emerged.

The UK broadcaster bought the rights to the entire nine-part series, but only has space in its schedule to show eight programmes before Euro 2008 begins.

Viewers will skip straight to episode three of the modern-day fairytale, about a man who brings people back from the dead - including his first love.

:eek: how can they do that??? :mad:

Comments

• jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I KNOW! why cant they just show it 10!! American pie 2 has been on loads of times on ITV1 and 2!!! show 2 at once!!
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=778620

Quite a big thread on this - in fact, it may well be down to this thread that this has become a story!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=778620

Quite a big thread on this - in fact, it may well be down to this thread that this has become a story!

Yep, some people on the thread have done a really good job of getting the news out to various media outlets.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My solution to the aliens currently running all television networks in this country is to wean myself of TV.

I'm down to half what I watched two years ago!

It's totally sureal for ITV to do this, but BBC are just as insane in their programming decisions (no surprise since they seem to swap executives constantly)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's totally sureal for ITV to do this, but BBC are just as insane in their programming decisions (no surprise since they seem to swap executives constantly)
    Yes, the BBC have come up with some pretty stupid scheduling decisons in the past, but I can't recall the BBC ever dropping an episode in order to fit a series into a specific gap in the schedule, especially a series which has received so much advance publicity and shown as a major part of the Saturday line-up.
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this out a while ago and i was one of the first people to email ITV and let everyone know. I have been doing my best to get as many people to know about this as possible and i'm glad there are now stories coming out from bit corporations such as the BBC and The Sun.
    I don't understand why they didn't play two episodes on saturday night instead of playing the very old American Pie again which i think everyone has seen by now.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dropping an episode is probably the worst crime that can be commited to a TV series, it is very revealing of the types of people running ITV currently.

BBC admittedly have not, to my knowledge, performed such an atrocity. They do tend to move episodes around (start times) with gay abandon, which is almost as bad and has effectively the same consequence for the viewer.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    i mean surely there must be 1 hour somewhere in the 168 hour week they could fit it in :mad:

Reminds me of the time they cut half an hour of the Footballers Wives finale :o:D in order to show Celebrity Love Island!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC admittedly have not, to my knowledge, performed such an atrocity.
    True
    They do tend to move episodes around (start times) with gay abandon, which is almost as bad and has effectively the same consequence for the viewer.
    No, at least the viewer still has an opportunity to watch it (even if it is at a different time or day, and even if some viewers are not in a position to watch due to other things) - it is still being shown (and still on VoD, Catchup TV etc) The trailers normally include the new time, as well as the changed programme listings, EPG etc. I don't think that it really has the same consequences.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    True

No, at least the viewer still has an opportunity to watch it (even if it is at a different time or day, and even if some viewers are not in a position to watch due to other things) - it is still being shown (and still on VoD, Catchup TV etc) The trailers normally include the new time, as well as the changed programme listings, EPG etc. I don't think that it really has the same consequences.

iPlayer and PVRs have alleviated the effects of this crime to a large degree, it's true. However, the memory of Seinfeld (a fair few years ago, I admit) still lingers. And they did the same to another great US import, How I Met Your Mother, more recently. Both the big broadcasters treat US shows quite badly, which beg the frustrated question - why buy them?
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok what I don't understand is that at the end of the first episode, they still showed the part that said 'coming up on the next episode of Pushing Daisies' - so was that showing what happens on the episode their not showing? or did they somehow edit it so its actually showing whats coming up on episode 3? ehh... and is it just a continuation of episode 1? otherwise what do we not know from not having seen the 2nd ep?

<-- is confused
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPlayer and PVRs have alleviated the effects of this crime to a large degree, it's true.
    And programmes which have moved around (Doctor Who, Torchwood being two recent examples) have still been there. They have even broken the schedule run for football and changed BBC4 "First Look" to "BBC4 Catchup" as happened with the second series of Life on Mars. But the epiosode were still shown.
    However, the memory of Seinfeld (a fair few years ago, I admit) still lingers. And they did the same to another great US import, How I Met Your Mother, more recently. Both the big broadcasters treat US shows quite badly, which beg the frustrated question - why buy them?
    Yes, treated badly, and yes appalling scheduling decisions, and yes Seinfeld was particularly badly treated. But they were still broadcast.

Have they ever dropped an episode of a major drama just so that it could be shoehorned in to a convenient gap? They might have dropped an episode out of its normal place and shown it elsewhere in the week, but I can't recall something as bad as dropping an episode to satisfy a time slot.
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The simple solution to all this - as already said - would be just to air a double bill 9pm-11pm.

American Pie 2 getting shifted to 11pm wouldn't bother most people, as it's been on hundreds of times before.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Ok what I don't understand is that at the end of the first episode, they still showed the part that said 'coming up on the next episode of Pushing Daisies' - so was that showing what happens on the episode their not showing? or did they somehow edit it so its actually showing whats coming up on episode 3? ehh... and is it just a continuation of episode 1? otherwise what do we not know from not having seen the 2nd ep?

<-- is confused
    The "next on Pushing Daisies" ITV1 showed after Episode 1 was the bit from the end of Episode 2, showing whats coming up on Episode 3.
  • DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV are IMO a joke when it comes to scheduling.

Take Midsomer Murders, one of their best exports and a hugely sucessful programme. All ITV seem to want to do is only show new episodes sporadicaly, and then it seems so they are up against some TV special so that they can lessen the damage. Some episodes filmed ages ago have yet to be screened, they don't even show them as a series now.

Hopefully this publicity may make ITV reconsider dropping the Pushing Dasies episode and their future scheduling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should have moved it to a grave yard slot late at night (I'd guess they should be able to not show the odd repeat of whatever shows are on late at night) rather than not shown it at all... and like has already been said, PVRs with series link would (hopefully/probably) still catch it... bad scheduling is bad enough but I'd rather that, than not have any chance to see an episode of a show, really...
  • simsysimsy Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I emailed ITV who emailed back with:

“Unfortunately due to scheduling restrictions we can only screen eight of the nine programmes in the current run. Episode two is the only one we can take out at this stage with out disrupting the flow of the series but it’s a great ‘stand alone’ episode, and one that we will broadcast later this year”.

"Due to the US writers strike, delivery of many acquisitions has been affected. Rather than receiving a full series of many of this year’s shows we’ve had a range of different options – such as 13 parts so far for Gossip Girl and 9 parts for Pushing Daisies. This has an impact on scheduling – particularly in the more competitive slots - as we typically receive dramas in parts of six or eight."

"Unfortunately given the high profile nature of the 9pm Saturday slot, we only have eight windows at the moment and have therefore made the decision to show the second episode at a future point."

DUTY OFFICER (PEL)

Crap excuse if you ask me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    centrino04 wrote: »
    The "next on Pushing Daisies" ITV1 showed after Episode 1 was the bit from the end of Episode 2, showing whats coming up on Episode 3.

ah ok, I did wonder... it didn't seem like alot must have happened in episode 2 then, as it looked like the next episode was continuing the same story with Chucks relatives and what-not... maybe it didn't contain too much so they thought viewers wouldn't notice the loss of the episode or something(?) its still not very professional though to just drop an ep... esp. when its a show that they've been promoting...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    i mean surely there must be 1 hour somewhere in the 168 hour week they could fit it in :mad:

And that's before you start counting ITV2, 3 and 4.

The other option is just watch it by "other means" - watch them all when you want, without edits or adverts. I hear some people do this with TV shows. ;)
  • BallroomBearBallroomBear Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I don't watch the series, I agree it's very poor behaviour from ITV.

But as ITV's a commercial station, I don't think it's anywhere near as big a crime as the BBC spending about £4 million per second series episode of Heroes which only stretches to a handful of episodes due to the writers strike.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simsy wrote: »
    I emailed ITV who emailed back with:

“Unfortunately due to scheduling restrictions we can only screen eight of the nine programmes in the current run. Episode two is the only one we can take out at this stage with out disrupting the flow of the series but it’s a great ‘stand alone’ episode, and one that we will broadcast later this year”.

"Due to the US writers strike, delivery of many acquisitions has been affected. Rather than receiving a full series of many of this year’s shows we’ve had a range of different options – such as 13 parts so far for Gossip Girl and 9 parts for Pushing Daisies. This has an impact on scheduling – particularly in the more competitive slots - as we typically receive dramas in parts of six or eight."

"Unfortunately given the high profile nature of the 9pm Saturday slot, we only have eight windows at the moment and have therefore made the decision to show the second episode at a future point."

DUTY OFFICER (PEL)

Crap excuse if you ask me.

Thanks for posting that... I guess thats not *so* bad... hmmm... oh well... by the time they do show the episode, we'll have forgotten where the story was back at episode 1 for it to make much sense probably :rolleyes:
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I managed to watch the second episode yesterday and it's a travesty that ITV aren't showing because it really is fantastic. Maybe we should just keep bothering them until they bow to pressure?

The story has certainly interested many - currently the most read article on BBC News.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love how this is the most ready story on BBC News online...

What good PR for ITV :rolleyes:
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    After all the hype of trailers on ITV (Have they ever been shown on other channels?) and on billboards and newspapers. This is what they do. Was there also something on the episode that is not suitable for viewing here?
    Forum Member
    After all the hype of trailers on ITV (Have they ever been shown on other channels?) and on billboards and newspapers. This is what they do. Was there also something on the episode that is not suitable for viewing here?

No, it was entirely down to the fact that they only left room for eight episodes. Episode 2 is the one that contains the least serial elements (though it does fit into the overall story).