Leona Lewis - New Single - 'Lovebird'

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    That makes no sense at all from a marketing point of view.

I would have release:

Glassheart
    Come Alive
    Fingerprint
    Sugar

Why are Syco so bad at handling everyone who isn't 1D or Cher Lloyd? :(

They aren't handling 1D exactly well either, did you not see their single choices for their 2nd album?

Anyway back on topic, I agree Glassheart or Come Alive should've been released as the first single, but from what I've heard it was Leona's decision to release Trouble and she insisted doing so so much that she even turned down "We Found Love".

I don't think for the Christmas time they should release a dance track though, so Lovebird or Fingerprints sounds more sensible, they are also more radio-friendly imo. I think Lovebird should do well, like I said it's quite catchy but not very "dancey".
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what will this single be deemed when it flops a "buzz single" or a "treat for the fans?"
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    So what will this single be deemed when it flops a "buzz single" or a "treat for the fans?"

I'm a fan, I'm sure its going to flop and it pains me to see her proving all the labels that have been put on her.

Its quite a cliche to blame poor single choices as a reason for failure, but in this case it literally is true.

Quite frankly, I'm at the point where frustration is turning into ambivalence.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I'm a fan, I'm sure its going to flop and it pains me to see her proving all the labels that have been put on her.

Its quite a cliche to blame poor single choices as a reason for failure, but in this case it literally is true.

That's how I feel about it. Great singer, nice person but badly advised and managed. I just think what a waste.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

Me too. No lessons have been learned from Echo, and this era is proving to be handled even worse(which I didn't think was possible).

I don't understand why Trouble was the lead single. It had to be Glassheart. I like Lovebird, but it isn't going to set the charts alight, and wouldn't even if it was the first single. I seriously doubt it'll make the top 10.

Syco have all but destroyed her career, and Saint Adele, Emile Sande, Rita Ora et al are WAY ahead of her now :( It's such a shame, because I would take Leona over those 3 put together.

All this 'Leona dating Liam from 1D' BS is tiresome and off the scale of lame :yawn: I hate to say it, but I think she's going along with it for publicity, as they both have albums out. So disappointing.

I fully expect the era to be abandoned once Lovebird falls out the charts. I'm surprised there are people out there that think Glassheart will be released as a third, or even fourth single. I'm sorry to say it(and I mean that, I have always been a huge Leona fan), but the era will be dead once we are in 2013.
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I don't necessarily agree with single choice, I think the Glassheart album is a really good album, and it pains me to see fans slating it. There are some cracking tracks such as Shake You Up, Fingerprint, Glassheart, Come Alive, Favourite Scar just to name a few. Regardless of single choices, the album deserves to be heard.
    I personally will take Lovebird over most of the crap I hear on radio, also I find it a bit strange that the tour is selling well, so people must want to see her perform, but I really hope the album manages to pick up. I thought her her performance of Fingerprint on SUTC was one of her best performances ever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Lovebird is a much better choice for second single. It's radio friendly, upbeat and has that sing-a-long effect. I can see this doing quite well, I hope radio support it. It could be a minor hit leading the way for Glassheart as single 3 which will hopefully storm the charts!
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio2 will play it but I think she's now being fast tracked into a poppier version of Katherine Jenkins, I much prefer Fireflies though and I find Lovebird is a song aimed at her older fans to buy the album, which is no bad thing.
  • xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Lovebird, but it is far too clicheed to become a hit. Right now I predict this will struggle to make the Top 30 and I don't think it well help album sales in the slightest. I seriously hope I'm wrong.

Glassheart, Come Alive or Fireflies would have been much better choices in my view.
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a very predictable single choice, but probably a lot better than Fireflies. What they need right now is a song to sell the album over the Christmas period and to me this song sounds like a "typical" Leona song, and one which might draw in some sales from those casual fans she's lost since Collide, or even Echo... it has a hook, and is incredibly catchy. I don't think it'll do amazingly well, but at this time of year it's better to focus on album sales than single sales.

I still believe they're saving Glassheart to be the 1st single for the worldwide launch of the album early next year, because I can't see them launching with either Trouble or Lovebird in any territory. I said this in the LLAT thread before, but it's almost like they're trying to get the "less big" singles out of the way... It's probably a totally weird way of doing it, but I can't see them wanting her to promote in various places with different songs. It only worked with Spirit when Bleeding Love was promoted over the course of about 6 or 7 months (worldwide anyway).
  • gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Why didn't she release Glassheart?

It would storm the charts.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio are more likely to play it than Fireflies I guess but with Trouble missing the mark I think the buzz has gone and frankly, that's fatal for any artist. They put a lot of work into keeping Radio 1 happy but they offered only token support for Trouble. I think Global are out as well. Lovebirds might have worked following a big hit single but on it's own I doubt it has much chance.

The material simply isn't there and after 2 years that's not good enough. We shouldn't be having discussions where a trend chasing "electro" song like Glassheart is supposedly her only hope. If they were to put out a single I'd probably still go with Glassheart. But to be honest, I think any further singles are just a waste of time and money at this stage.

I genuinely don't have the foggiest idea how everything went so far off course. Rebecca Ferguson seems far more defined in her "adult contemporary" role and I doubt will have the same issues with her direction for her second album.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'fireflies' lyric video has been removed.
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? What a waste of money.
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Radio are more likely to play it than Fireflies I guess but with Trouble missing the mark I think the buzz has gone and frankly, that's fatal for any artist. They put a lot of work into keeping Radio 1 happy but they offered only token support for Trouble. I think Global are out as well. Lovebirds might have worked following a big hit single but on it's own I doubt it has much chance.

The material simply isn't there and after 2 years that's not good enough. We shouldn't be having discussions where a trend chasing "electro" song like Glassheart is supposedly her only hope. If they were to put out a single I'd probably still go with Glassheart. But to be honest, I think any further singles are just a waste of time and money at this stage.

I genuinely don't have the foggiest idea how everything went so far off course. Rebecca Ferguson seems far more defined in her "adult contemporary" role and I doubt will have the same issues with her direction for her second album.

Well the 3 year gap didn't help, remembering that they gave up on Echo very early on when they didn't need to, The UK sales of Echo were not bad at all even though the album slid down the charts that was as much to do with the lack of a follow up single to Happy.

I suspect that there have probably been some big rows behind the scenes that Leona might one day tell us about (especially the stuff over Collide)

Her other big problem is the 'aggressive' secrecy nonsense that Syco insist on with Leona. How often do fans find things out at the last minute or through unofficial channels?

Leona seems to be much happier in front of the cameras these days but should have been so 3 or 4 years ago.

I still don't think it's over for her as a major recording artist, but I personally don't see her career going anywhere whilst still tied to Cowell and all the other management lot she has.

A clean break would do her some good, but she really does need another album out early in 2014, forget this releasing in October nonsense, it's not helped her this time around.

I still think the album is poor (Glassheart and Come Alive aside) and the fact those two songs appear to be nowhere near being released as singles tells you all you need to know about how they manage things.

Leona should have toured more, yes I know she did her big tour a couple of years ago, but she really should have done more.

Bottom line is Syco are arrogant and have thought all she needed to do was turn up on a Cowell show perform once and she'd sell bucket loads of records.

Even I'm shocked at the low sales for Glassheart (I think even the cover is a mess, there are far nicer photos of Leona around and the silly flies just look out of place)
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it is still on YT, Vevo, I have just this second played it, what a stunning video it is.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Lovebirds that much, but the major Radio stations lap cliched songs with boring lyrics UP. It is actually the best possible choice for a second single considering the current state she's in. It's near xmas, so she needed to release a ballard. I just hope she follows it up with either Glassheart or Come Alive because one of them could be and deserves to be a hit.
    Forum Member
    I never understood why they chose Fireflies in the first place, it would never do well. Lovebird or Fingerprint would be a much better choice for the 2nd single so I'm really glad they've decided to change it.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nooneoo wrote: »
    I never understood why they chose Fireflies in the first place, it would never do well. Lovebird or Fingerprint would be a much better choice for the 2nd single so I'm really glad they've decided to change it.

Fingerprint would've bombed harder than Trouble. Radio 1 or Capital wouldn't even touch it. Her best chance of a hit is Glassheart or Come Alive but Lovebird stands a better chance then Fireflies. Still don't think it'll be enough at this point though.
    Forum Member
    Fingerprint would've bombed harder than Trouble. Radio 1 or Capital wouldn't even touch it. Her best chance of a hit is Glassheart or Come Alive but Lovebird stands a better chance then Fireflies. Still don't think it'll be enough at this point though.

I really don't think a dance track would be everyone's favourite during the Xmas period. That said, I'm confident Glassheart will be a single at some point.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think the album is poor (Glassheart and Come Alive aside) and the fact those two songs appear to be nowhere near being released as singles tells you all you need to know about how they manage things.

The main problem is that they've not got anything that could have been a lead single unless they totally gave up on her AC roots and tried to compete with the whole dance/electro pop stuff. And that went quite horribly wrong for Alexandra earlier this year and it was far less of a shift for her than it would be for Leona.
    Bottom line is Syco are arrogant and have thought all she needed to do was turn up on a Cowell show perform once and she'd sell bucket loads of records.

Except they didn't at all. The promotion boxes were all ticked going right back to the summer when they got in groundwork with Radio 1. None of it paid off - Radio 1 seemed to offer token support but not much in the end.

As for X Factor, it should be an open goal for Leona. If she had the material and a good enough performance she could have been in the position that Labrinth is in just now where a song that wouldn't have got airplay is now top 5 airplay and has sold 200,000 copies in 2 weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I really don't think a dance track would be everyone's favourite during the Xmas period. That said, I'm confident Glassheart will be a single at some point.

I don't share your confidence. Like I said in my post earlier, Lovebird will fall short of the top 10 and the era will be abandoned in the new year :(
    Forum Member
    I don't share your confidence. Like I said in my post earlier, Lovebird will fall short of the top 10 and the era will be abandoned in the new year :(

Why wouldn't Glassheart be a dance success in the run up to Christmas?

The idea that one of the best dance tracks of 2012 wouldn't be a success in the biggest dance party time of the year is nonsense,
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you seriously proposing Fingerprint as a good single choice?

Have you not read anything here?

Do you work for SYCO - lol
  • CROATIACROATIA Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This...I'm very disappointed with album material....very bland and really nothing special after 3years of hard work and recording .......I even said this in LLAT but its hard for me to repeat it and discuss about it all the time because some people are really huge fans and are in love with this album
    I see some of you don't even post there anymore....

I'm glad they changed 2nd single...Lovebirds has like 5% chance to become top20 hit with decent longevity (few weeks in top100) while Fireflies had chance to maybe become top10 hit (after potential XF performance) with free fall 1 week after peak .... both doing almost nothing for album sales

Its really hard to be Leona fan at the moment and understand what they want from her career .... but I'm still delusional and believe in successful US campaign next year