Would a spin-off series with the Doctor's daughter Jenny work?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Vastra's Jenny could be a regenerated Jenny from The Doctors Daughter. Its not entirely implausible.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    cylob49 wrote: »
    Vastra's Jenny could be a regenerated Jenny from The Doctors Daughter. Its not entirely implausible.

But she isn't though.

They're both different characters.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    If any character should have a spin off, then it should be Sparrow and Nightingale. Of course Sally Sparrow might have to be recast as Carey Mulligan is now a major Hollywood player.

Those two in Blink were the highlight of the episode.

Re-cast Sally Sparrow having someone else? :eek: No. Carey made the character. I couldn't see Sally being played by someone else. That spin-off might as well not happen if Carey is too busy to take on her Doctor Who role again.

Plus, it wouldn't work, anyway, as not long after Sally and Kathy joined as mystery investigators, Kathy was taken back to 1916 by the Weeping Angels and Sally is working in the DVD shop, in the 21st Century with Kathy's brother.

Sally is better off being the Doctor's companion, sometime in the future. Maybe re-introduce her after Matt leaves. It looks highly likely, with each day that passes, that he is to go in 2014.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    But she isn't though.

Didn't Mme Vastra's Jenny die, in some way, if I'm not mistaken? :confused:
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

I don't think so
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have confused her with the girl who made the prayer hankey that said River Song. They looked similar.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member

Yes she did die. Moffat said all will be explained in that digital spy video clip.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Yes she did die. Moffat said all will be explained in that digital spy video clip.

This may sound a bit panto but........oh no she didn't.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adelaide girl is right Lorna Bucket died at demons run not Jenny.
    Strax also died but somehow he was brought back to life.
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would a spin-off series with the Doctor's daughter Jenny work?

Simple answer....no....She wasn't a memorable character or acted that greated by Georgia. A horrible episode with an overly smiling guest star, it's really not one of my favourite episodes at all. Whyever RTD brought back Stephen Greenhorn for this ep after the mess that was the Lazarus Experiment still boggles the mind to me....

Anyway, as other have said there are far better options for spin-offs with other DW characters; River, Vastra/Jenny/Strax combo and heck in my mind, I would have loved to have seen more of Liz 10, but I doubt that will happen. Doc's daughter Jenny though isn't on that spin-off list to me, never has been, never will be...

Besides Jenny, as in Vastra's Jenny, is by far a better character, a more likeable one and played wonderfully by Catrin Stewart. The less said of Georgia's Jenny the better in my mind...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    But she isn't though.

According to you. The Moffat era Jenny's back story has not been mentioned. Moffat didnt want to kill the RTD version off and now there is another Jenny bobbing about which is interesting. Maybe Moffat liked the name and thats all there is to it however two on set photos that surfaced recently featuring The Doctor & Jenny from the forthcoming Diana Rigg episode gave off an interesting vibe. Maybe im seeing stuff thats not there but anything can happen in this show. Were there to be a Vastra/Jenny spin off it would be a bonus should one of the main characters be closely related to the Doctor. Well thats what I think anyway.
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »

He was referring to Strax, the Sontaran working with Vastra and Jenny.
    Forum Member
    According to you. The Moffat era Jenny's back story has not been mentioned. Moffat didnt want to kill the RTD version off and now there is another Jenny bobbing about which is interesting. Maybe Moffat liked the name and thats all there is to it however two on set photos that surfaced recently featuring The Doctor & Jenny from the forthcoming Diana Rigg episode gave off an interesting vibe. Maybe im seeing stuff thats not there but anything can happen in this show. Were there to be a Vastra/Jenny spin off it would be a bonus should one of the main characters be closely related to the Doctor. Well thats what I think anyway.

Moffat mentioned Jenny from TDD not being killed off because that's what he wanted to do (and did) with River in FOTD.

If that Jenny was coming back, they would've gotten Georgia Moffett back for the role.

I don't think we will see that version of Jenny again and Vastra's Jenny is a different character. If she wasn't, we would've had some tangible hint right now.
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny reminds me of Sarah-Jane from mighty mights. If you don't have children then this will mean nothing to you. If you do have children and are still unsure, Sarah-Jane is Justins blonde friend.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

Somehow I have a sneaking suspicion that Moffat might have called Vastra's wife Jenny, just so it would get fans debating if she is the Doctor's Jenny. :D Personally, I think Moff introducing a completely new character called Jenny suggests The Doctor's daughter won't be returning.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I still don't understand the hate for The Doctor's Daughter. A bit of extra padding, to be sure, but some solid sci-fi ideas and self-examination for the Doctor. And I liked Jenny, she was exactly what she needed to be - the Doctor's confidence and optimism, coupled with naivety and programmed as a soldier.

But, detached from the Doctor, there's not much to her. She was created as a soldier, and has been talked into not being one. She was a mirror to the Doctor, and now he's not around. There's no useful character hooks to build a story around.

The only thing you could do is propel her into situations where she does exactly the sort of things the Doctor does, but without a time machine. And if you're going to do that, you might as well create a new character from scratch.