CS I really don't like the Hayley storyline

13»

Comments

• JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    I don't agree with you at all!
    For a start I would have thought that Hayley would be feeling ill if she has cancer. She looks too healthy to me. So that isn't true to life. Anyone who has health problems in that region of your body would be feeling very under the weather, if not in pain!

I think you'll find if you do even a smidgen of research that the type of cancer Hayley has is practically symptom-less initially which is why it is hard to diagnose in time, and why survival rates are so low.
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister died at age 48 with liver cancer. My dad died aged 60 with lung cancer and both of them suffered badly with pain. I cannot watch Corrie at the moment.

again im so sorry valtimmy its horrendous isn't it? :(
    yes my sister at 46 has secondary liver cancer and my auntie and mum both have had cancer but are in remission at the moment so yes cancer is rife in my family too so i cant think of anything worse than watching Corrie atm,
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand and sympathise with those who are seeing a reflection of the storyline in real life.

However, perhaps with the way that Roy and Hayley, and of course Sylvia, react, and they all play they their parts with consummate skill, it may help at least some of those who feel real stress in real life if they manage to show how others sufer and behave.

Everyone is different, of course, but sometimes seeing another point of view, albeit in a TV soap can help you realise that you are not alone.

From a broader perspective, how the other characters react will make or break rhis storyline.

Some characters will be incredibly supportive and their parts will be played sensitively and thoughtfully. Others, by the their innate lack of ability will spoil scenes by over-acting, or not managing to act at all. Probably the worst offender will be Dreary who has been degraded into a Reg Holdsworth type of character without the humour and skill to carry it off.
  • colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    For a start I would have thought that Hayley would be feeling ill if she has cancer. She looks too healthy to me. So that isn't true to life. Anyone who has health problems in that region of your body would be feeling very under the weather, if not in pain!

Not neccessarily. I had cancer nearly 5 years ago and I felt absolutely fine up to my diagnosis. I also felt well during radio/chemo treatment too.
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    mo mouse wrote: »
    People seem to accept murders and rapes as part of soap make up but cancer is too shocking.

This ^^ absolutely! and a good point Mo.

It is not an easy SL to cover and sadly lots of people are touched by cancer, but as said above more controversial SL's are accepted more easily into soaps and I don't think that cancer should be a taboo subject, although I can empathise with anyone going through this at the same time as this SL.
    colgirl wrote: »
    Not neccessarily. I had cancer nearly 5 years ago and I felt absolutely fine up to my diagnosis. I also felt well during radio/chemo treatment too.

I hope you are well again now :)

My Mum was diagnosed 3 years ago and she had no pain either to indicate that cancer was present in her body, she was well and had no symptoms, however the treatment made her very ill.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not for pancreatic cancer. It can take a long time for symptoms to appear and death can be swift once it's been diagnosed. Speaking from experience of an ex work colleague who died 6 weeks after it was diagnosed. She felt fine then started having stomach pains which was when it was diagnosed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Oh please!

Loads of sad things happen in the soaps, and indeed Corrie did a terminal cancer storyline in 2000 with Alma dying, which was tremendously moving but also increased awareness of smear testing. Soaps reflect real life and should stir many emotions from positive to negative. If you really can't distinguish between reality and fiction, or understand that sad as it is, cancer is a real thing that affects quite a lot of people, you shouldn't own a TV.

It's tragically sad yes, especially for someone like Hayley to be struck with it. But many people lose loved ones who are tremendous human beings to this illness and it is no more tragic than being hit by a bus/dying in a tram crash/murdered etc. And as has been reported, Julie wanted Hayley to be killed off because there would be no other justifiable reason for her to leave Roy as they are so deeply in love. Other than axing Roy, they had to draw their story to a conclusion, and how better to do it than a beautiful, heartbreaking farewell between them. I have no doubt it will make people cry, but I also have no doubt it will be a tour de force of acting and a true classic soap storyline which will go down in the history books.

It's like saying they shouldn't have aired the domestic abuse storyline because battered wives/husbands would find it uncomfortable, or they shouldn't have aired scenes of murder because some people know people who've been murdered, or Carla's rape storyline because some people have been or know people who've been raped.

Just leave it out, if you're too soft to cope with an emotional storyline stop watching til it's over. I for one will watch and probably cry and be genuinely moved and touched by the depth of love and emotion shown between what is surely one of soap's all time best couples as their story comes to an end.

Sick of reading about people saying they can't handle the storyline. Fair enough - but no one cares, just stop watching! :rolleyes:

(And just in case anyone jumps on me, a member of my family had breast cancer twice and very nearly lost her life to it, so I know full well the emotional impact of cancer, thanks.)

Although you are a little harsh, I basically agree with you!
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    It's a sad storyline but the performances will be outstanding - as people said Hayley would never leave Roy - a bit like suggesting Hilda leave Stan in the 70's