Bill Maher Slams Stupid "liberals" over Islam

JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/10/03/bill_maher_vs_ben_affleck_on_islam_mafia_that_will_****ing_kill_you_if_you_say_the_wrong_thing.html

In an interview with the dim witted Ben Affleck who comes out with the usual "liberal" brainwashed illogical views. (The 10 minute you tube video is the one I'd recommend)

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the word censor on DS has killed the link .. just replace the asterixes with the "F" word ..
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really on the ball, OP, this has been news since Friday.

That said, I see both sides. All religion is bad, and Islam most of all. On the other hand, as soon as people talk about 'Muslim countries' like they're all the same they expose their agenda.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Does he mention the need for oil at all?
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »

That said, I see both sides. All religion is bad, and Islam most of all. On the other hand, as soon as people talk about 'Muslim countries' like they're all the same they expose their agenda.

One the ball indeed. Or isn't this thread the FIRST of the issue on DS?

Did YOU put a thread up?

The point you have completely missed, still, is that the problems listed with Islam are NOT the same level as other religions.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I was watching this episode, and I kinda agreed with both and neither of them. They were both sort of right but not entirely. Bill Maher's phrasing was a little too broad and it was insensitive to moderate Muslims, however Ben Affleck's response seemed a little naive and unwilling to face realities. Also I'm not sure Ben was able to 100% follow along with the entire conversation, because certain comments seemed a little disjointed.

Bill Maher is a bit too strident about atheism, but I'd rather have that than go the other way and give people a free pass to excuse any misbehavior in the name of mythology.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/10/03/bill_maher_vs_ben_affleck_on_islam_mafia_that_will_****ing_kill_you_if_you_say_the_wrong_thing.html

In an interview with the dim witted Ben Affleck who comes out with the usual "liberal" brainwashed illogical views. (The 10 minute you tube video is the one I'd recommend)

There was a "reply" to this by Reza Aslan.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/09/30/reza_aslan_mahers_facile_generalizations_of_islam_the_definition_of_bigotry.html

Edited to add: couldn't watch the video in your first link, says "Sorry, the page you are requesting could not be found".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »
    Yeah, I was watching this episode, and I kinda agreed with both and neither of them. They were both sort of right but not entirely. Bill Maher's phrasing was a little too broad and it was insensitive to moderate Muslims, however Ben Affleck's response seemed a little naive and unwilling to face realities. Also I'm not sure Ben was able to 100% follow along with the entire conversation, because certain comments seemed a little disjointed.

Bill Maher is a bit too strident about atheism, but I'd rather have that than go the other way and give people a free pass to excuse any misbehavior in the name of mythology.

Nah. Maher was right on the money. "Liberals" are kidding themselves.
  • Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That said, I see both sides. All religion is bad, and Islam most of all.

I disagree. Religion inherently is good. It's only those who take everything out of context make it look bad.

We should all see beyond that and not form an opinion based on the actions of it's unfaithful followers.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah. Maher was right on the money. "Liberals" are kidding themselves.

Kidding themselves about what and why the term "liberals"?
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I disagree. Religion inherently is good. It's only those who take everything out of context make it look bad.

We should all see beyond that and not form an opinion based on the actions of it's unfaithful followers.

Anything can be described as bad when scrutinised in a particular way with a particular agenda.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Kidding themselves about what and why the term "liberals"?

Have you heard the debate.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think both Maher and Affleck made some valid and some completely stupid remarks in that discussion.

I usually like Sam Harris, but lawdy he comes off as a patronising dippy.

I'm calling it here first, there's going to be a brand of "new liberalism" soon with people like Maher telling everyone that if we don't believe what they do, you can't be in their little asskissing group. :p
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

I disagree with that. Religion in its fundamental form is pretty horrific; fundamentalists are the ones who follow it literally, word for word, and they're the worst kind because religious texts command all sorts of evil stuff if taken literally. The most unfaithful are those who cherry pick, and they are of course the best sort since they discard all the evil crap.
  • Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree with that. Religion in its fundamental form is pretty horrific; fundamentalists are the ones who follow it literally, word for word, and they're the worst kind because religious texts command all sorts of evil stuff if taken literally. The most unfaithful are those who cherry pick, and they are of course the best sort since they discard all the evil crap.

I appreciate that but as mentioned, surely we shouldn't be forming an opinion of an entire religion based on the actions of it's extreme minorities?
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One the ball indeed. Or isn't this thread the FIRST of the issue on DS?

Did YOU put a thread up?

The point you have completely missed, still, is that the problems listed with Islam are NOT the same level as other religions.

People didn't put a thread up because it was mentioned more than a few times in the other ISIS threads up here.

Also, how did I completely miss the point when that was the exact point I made in my post? "Islam most of all."
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I appreciate that but as mentioned, surely we shouldn't be forming an opinion of an entire religion based on the actions of it's extreme minorities?

I didn't say we should. But if there's one thing we can say for certain, it's that religion is not inherently good. If it is inherently anything, it's bad. We are just lucky that most people who claim to be religious actually aren't and don't actually follow their religion much. If they did (like fundamentals do) we'd all be ****ed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People are still not grasping the very simple point that: the problems are NOT just those from the proverbial "few nutters". Its MUCH MUCH wider than that.
  • MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are still not grasping the very simple point that: the problems are NOT just those from the proverbial "few nutters". Its MUCH MUCH wider than that.

That's exactly the point Sam Harris was making, and was trying to offer evidence of.

Those that think that the only people who follow Islam who pose a conundrum to some of the rights, values, laws etc that we have in the West are the ones carrying guns and cutting off heads, are sincerely naive.

There are facets of Islam followed by the majority of Muslims and practiced in Muslim-majority countries which are fundamentally incompatible with the societies we currently live in.

Maher and Harris put forward the idea that this is an issue which needs to be acknowledged and addressed not simply by non-Muslims, but by the so-called moderate Muslims and reformers within the religion, otherwise we will inevitably continue to encounter conflict and probably with greater frequency.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Does he mention the need for oil at all?

The debate was about Islam and its followers - I'd advise everyone to do a quick search for the 10 minute you tube video of this part.
  • John_HuxleyJohn_Huxley Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While Bill Maher may be tactless in how he puts it forth, he is very correct, Sam Harris is more nuanced in his delivery and essentially saying the same thing as Bill Maher.

Affleck just came across as frothing-in-the-mouth person.

Firstly, i highly doubt the 'its a minority' can be a valid excuse, when you have entire countries under the grip of this flavour of Islam, and strongly backed by a sizable group in the society (as evident if you ever watch the youtubes of the massive crowds coming to stone a woman).

Quite frankly, to argue this problem is some tiny minority, as it grips the entire middle-east, which is by far a larger land-mass then America, is quite disingenuous.

The canard of the more peaceful Muslim's shouldn't be tarred with the action's of extremists, is polite, but has many practical problems, not the least of which is that it encourages lazy ignorance that one can identify oneself as part of a religion, do nothing to educate yourself in it, and claim no responsibility or at least a responsibility to know the facts, i doubt any approach which just encourages lazy ignorance is beneficial for society.

In the end, the west will not crumble to Islam, that much we know, even if it hurts and kills many of its citizens, the real losers is muslims, particularly female muslims, and non-western non-muslim people who become subjugated under this militaristic Islam.

The question most people need to ask is, if a non-western person is being tortured by Islam, should we help them?
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a "reply" to this by Reza Aslan.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/09/30/reza_aslan_mahers_facile_generalizations_of_islam_the_definition_of_bigotry.html

Edited to add: couldn't watch the video in your first link, says "Sorry, the page you are requesting could not be found".

Reza Aslan is a board member of a lobbying group for the Islamic Republic of Iran which has been confirmed as a front group for Iran’s bloody Islamic regime.
    "Judge Bates decision in favor of Seid Hassan Daioleslam is a victory for both the First Amendment and our national security," said Sam Nunberg, director of the Legal Project. "Mr. Dai has been the victim of a predatory lawsuit simply because he exposed the direct connection between the Iranian Regime and NIAC. In light of the sanctions ordered against Parsi, this decision should also serve as a warning to all Islamists who seek to use our courts as a shield in order to intimidate researchers who work to expose them. I also would like to commend Sidley Austin LLP and specifically Mr. Timothy E. Kapshandy for his tireless effort in defending Mr. Daioleslam's rights under the First Amendment."

http://www.legal-project.org/blog/2012/09/iranian-regime-loses-to-legal-project-in-federal

-

Ben Affleck: Portrait of Islam’s Clueless Apologists
    When Bill Maher, the host of Real Time, asked “But why can’t we talk about this [Islamic issues]?” Affleck shot back with, “Because it’s gross, it’s racist.”

This meme is as common as it is absurd and does not deserve much rebuttal. Suffice to say that Muslims are not a race. There are Muslims of all nations, races, ethnicities — from sub-Saharan Africans to blonde haired, blue-eyed Europeans. Yet many apologists for Islam, including congressmen and congresswomen, habitually rely on this lie — I won’t even deign to call it an “apologetic” — simply because accusing someone of being “racist,” in this case, critics of Islam, is one of the surest way of shutting them up.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/ben-affleck-clueless-islam-apologist/?singlepage=true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vln9D81eO60
  • roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    liberals seem to think that the answer to all the problems is to just be nice to people, be they peadophile, or murderer or homicidal religous maniac. They truly believe that if they are nice to these people then in turn they will stop their terrible doings and start being lovely too. Its childlike logic. It ignores entirely the need for heiracrchical systems of society, which exist in all species ever discovered.
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can Liberalism Be Saved From Itself?
    The most controversial thing I said was: “We have to be able to criticize bad ideas, and Islam is the Mother lode of bad ideas.” This statement has been met with countless charges of “bigotry” and “racism” online and in the media. But imagine that the year is 1970, and I said: “Communism is the Mother lode of bad ideas.” How reasonable would it be to attack me as a “racist” or as someone who harbors an irrational hatred of Russians, Ukrainians, Chinese, etc. This is precisely the situation I am in. My criticism of Islam is a criticism of beliefs and their consequences—but my fellow liberals reflexively view it as an expression of intolerance toward people.

And the tension on the panel only grew. At one point Affleck sought to cut me off by saying, “Okay, let him [Kristof] talk for a second.” As I finished my sentence, he made a gesture of impatience with his hand, suggesting that I had been droning on for ages. Watching this exchange on television (his body language and tone are less clear online), I find Affleck’s contempt for me fairly amazing.

I want to make one thing clear, however. I did not take Affleck’s hostility personally. This is the kind of thing I now regularly encounter from people who believe the lies about my work that have been sedulously manufactured by Reza Aslan, Glenn Greenwald, Chris Hedges, and many others. If I were seated across the table from someone I “knew” to be a racist and a warmonger, how would I behave? I don’t honestly know.

Kristof made the point that there are brave Muslims who are risking their lives to condemn “extremism” in the Muslim community. Of course there are, and I celebrate these people too. But he seemed completely unaware that he was making my point for me—the point being, of course, that these people are now risking their lives by advocating for basic human rights in the Muslim world.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/can-liberalism-be-saved-from-itself
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What about stupid Conservatives who are too dim witted to realise that just as many evils have been done in the name of Christianity?
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    liberals seem to think that the answer to all the problems is to just be nice to people, be they peadophile, or murderer or homicidal religous maniac. They truly believe that if they are nice to these people then in turn they will stop their terrible doings and start being lovely too. Its childlike logic. It ignores entirely the need for heiracrchical systems of society, which exist in all species ever discovered.
    Any evidence to this rant? Who are these liberals? You sound like someone from Fox News.