Options

Tooth extraction cost

realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
To cut a long story short, I know one of my molar teeth needs to be removed, and quite quickly.

My crown fell out a few months ago and my NHS dentist has been faffing around ever since, putting temporary fillings in, shaving a bit off etc. The other day he put a temporary filling in which was due to last six months.

Within hours of me arriving home, part of what was left of the tooth on that side came off when I was eating, and, while having a feel, the rest came off with my fingernail (it was a very weak tooth indeed).

Now, I know it's NHS policy to only remove a tooth as a very last resort, but I think we've got to that stage.

How much should I be prepared to pay to have it removed privately? (I'll be making a formal complaint about my NHS dentist in due course).

Comments

• Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £80 I was charged for one at the back last year.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    A straightforward extraction shouldn't cost that much. It's root canals and other complex dental procedures that come at a heavy price.

A few years back I had an option for either extraction or another attempt at a root canal: £60 vs £500.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Extractions are usually £48.

Band 2 course of treatment – £48.00
    This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dentist did two extractions plus added two teeth to my plate for £80 - and that was going private!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Why don't you just get your NHS dentist to take it out? It'll cost £48 for that or £80-£100 privately.

I had one taken out recently and my NHS dentist said I could either have a course of antibiotics and have it filled in or just have it taken out.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extraction of a severely broken tooth, where there's nothing to get a grip on, might be a little more complicated than the usual type.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help with this last week chaps. It cost me £100 but I now think that was money well spent.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Extraction of a severely broken tooth, where there's nothing to get a grip on, might be a little more complicated than the usual type.

Not true actually- they just use what looks like an ice pick to crack it in situ, then pluck out the couple of pieces! :(