Options

Is Doctor Who Losing People's Interest?

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband and I were great fans of the original series it was our childhood fav when it rebooted we loved it couldn't wait for each episode then something happened, it changed into something else and we stopped watching a few episodes into Matt smiths series, we tried to come back when he left but couldn't pick up the on going stories it had completely morphed into an on going story line you needed to have followed through previous series.
    So from just not liking one actor they lost two viewers for ever.

It also used to be as I said a childhood fav but I won't let our 9 year old watch it as it's no longer really family viewing.

Another potential viewer lost.

There may be many other reasons people have stopped watching but these were our personal reasons.
  • Options
    emsquareemsquare Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Have I lost interest? No. Do I get as much as an emotional buzz or am I as eager for the next episode as i was circa 7-10 years ago? Nope. But then, as others have said I watch way less TV than I did back then too.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emread wrote: »
    Have I lost interest? No. Do I get as much as an emotional buzz or am I as eager for the next episode as i was circa 7-10 years ago? Nope. But then, as others have said I watch way less TV than I did back then too.

Agreed the whole television watching thing has evolved in a way no-one thought of when if you missed an episode you missed it, full stop, until video was invented...having said that, I surprised myself watching the Christmas Special when the theme started and I thought 'great to have it back!'.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was the BBC I'd be concerned about the stuff going on here

Didn't they learn anything from the eighties?
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are watching Doctor Who but maybe from a different perspective. The older fans are looking for references from the past episodes, little things that remind them of older characters. New Who is more about the future of Doctor Who for the younger fans but where can it go from here? To Eternity:eek:
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    People are watching Doctor Who but maybe from a different perspective. The older fans are looking for references from the past episodes, little things that remind them of older characters.

No were not

Were looking for decent stories
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well lets hope DW can keep near its Xmas rating with series 10, and not do what Sherlock has done in losing just over 2 million viewers going from its first episode on NYD to its second episode in the second week of January... Overnight ratings.... worse of all for Sherlock is that it was apparently a series low, previously the lowest rated episode was its second episode back in 2010.. this new episode was over half a million lower than that previous low...

A sign of TV ratings falling as a whole.... or if we want to be dramatic its a sign that people are getting tired of Moffats way of doing things.. you know some of you were going to say that :p

(shame really, as it was the best episode since series 2 IMO)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    Well lets hope DW can keep near its Xmas rating with series 10, and not do what Sherlock has done in losing just over 2 million viewers going from its first episode on NYD to its second episode in the second week of January... Overnight ratings.... worse of all for Sherlock is that it was apparently a series low, previously the lowest rated episode was its second episode back in 2010.. this new episode was over half a million lower than that previous low...

A sign of TV ratings falling as a whole.... or if we want to be dramatic its a sign that people are getting tired of Moffats way of doing things.. you know some of you were going to say that :p

(shame really, as it was the best episode since series 2 IMO)

I'm one of the two million that "deserted" Sherlock. I watched Endeavour instead.

The desertion was very temporary, however, as I watched Sherlock on iplayer almost immediately.

This was purely a time management decision - no reflection on which series I like best.

I'm certainly not tired of Moffat's way of doing things as regards Sherlock - this series has been very good so far imo - a great improvement on the last one (I know not everyone will agree :D).

Now my concern is - has Moff given his all to Sherlock, produced a wonderful series, and DW will get the scraps? Or is Moff on a creative roll, and DW series 10 will be legendary in it's perfection?

Time will tell.....
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope the latter.... DW really needs to deliver a standout series this year.
  • Options
    BowdonBowdon Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been a major DW fan but I did used to enjoy the older DW series.

I first watched DW when it was Sylvestor Mccoy.

The shows themes these days seem to be very resticted that they come out looking bland or dumbed down. There doesnt seem to be a serious story.

But then I've noticed that with a lot of older programmes that kids used to watch in the 80s for example. They seemed to make the brain work. These days it seems to be a lack of creativity.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did watch it when it came back as I was a great fan of the old original series ( Jon Pertwee was my Dr) and have quite a few dvds of the original series. However I stopoed watching the newer ones a few years back as its more sci fantasy than sci fiction & too twee & clever- clever it seemed to me. I cant speak for the last few years ones as I said, as I havent seen them.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    For me, the success of season 10 rests almost entirely on Bill. I'm pretty much done with the 12th Doctor. Even the obvious attempts in season 9 to make him more likeable didn't really work for me. But then he was saddled with Clara for two whole seasons. I'm really hopeful Bill might inject some much-needed likeability back into the cast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    People are watching Doctor Who but maybe from a different perspective. The older fans are looking for references from the past episodes, little things that remind them of older characters. New Who is more about the future of Doctor Who for the younger fans but where can it go from here? To Eternity:eek:

I don't think so. Yes, the odd reference from older days is nice but the important thing is what's going on in the series now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    For me, the success of season 10 rests almost entirely on Bill. I'm pretty much done with the 12th Doctor. Even the obvious attempts in season 9 to make him more likeable didn't really work for me. But then he was saddled with Clara for two whole seasons. I'm really hopeful Bill might inject some much-needed likeability back into the cast.

I love 12 and feel very much that being stuck with (suffocated by) Clara did him no good at all. With River he was totally different, also just now with Nardole. Without Clara dragging him down I have high hopes for him except for what Bill may turn out like. If she's more of the same then the poor chap may have lost his chance to actually be himself.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Interesting (and rather sad) that the new range of toys pretty much centres around David Tennant rather than Peter Capaldi:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/01/character-options-2017-doctor-who.html

It's like Star Trek toys and models - Most of what you see in shops is the original cast and ships rather than the movie reboot. There's even more merchandise sold for TNG and DS9 than the new films.
  • Options
    stocklenstocklen Posts: 4,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting (and rather sad) that the new range of toys pretty much centres around David Tennant rather than Peter Capaldi:

It's like Star Trek toys and models - Most of what you see in shops is the original cast and ships rather than the movie reboot. There's even more merchandise sold for TNG and DS9 than the new films.

I saw this the other day and I must admit I can't for the life of me understand why the brand new 2017 toys are concentrating on an era that has been over for more than 7 years!

Theres nothing wrong with nostalgic toys and ones that fill in gaps with older episodes... but the TARDIS play set???? Why isn't this based on the current TARDIS that we have had on screen for the last 3 years so far. Also 9/10's TARDIS has already been released as a playset a few years ago. Why make another one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stocklen wrote: »
    I saw this the other day and I must admit I can't for the life of me understand why the brand new 2017 toys are concentrating on an era that has been over for more than 7 years!

Quite simply, because they still sell. Capaldi's merchandising doesn't because the show doesn't have the same appeal. It's rather damning that there's still a market for a loved Doctor, screwdriver and Tardis set from 7-12 years ago but not the current one.

Whether anyone likes that fact or not, if this weren't all true, these new 2017 toys would look very different.

It's for the same reason there aren't nearly as many spoilers and location photos - There just aren't the same fans out there anymore who want to go off searching for film crews. A lot of the location photos these days are from the BBC themselves!

No wonder the BBC are currently going through YouTube trying to get reaction video posters into their pockets with magazine and video interviews and 'kindness' in order to help evangelise the show in a corporately controlled manner. To me, it's a sign of desperation and acknowledgement that the show has lost momentum.

I have a feeling we're back in the 1980s again with regard to the show, and I'm not sure whether Chibnal is going to resurrect it.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    If I was the BBC I'd be concerned about the stuff going on here

Didn't they learn anything from the eighties?

No because they only care when its making money.
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't really say much to me... there was Classic Who merchandise being released when Tennant was in the role. Nostalgia has always been a seller, part of why things like those pop vinyl figures are such a craze (I have the Fourth Doctor one :)).

It's worth pointing out that they do indeed have a Peter Capaldi figure there, the only Doctor other than Tennant.
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm one of the two million that "deserted" Sherlock. I watched Endeavour instead.

The desertion was very temporary, however, as I watched Sherlock on iplayer almost immediately.

This was purely a time management decision - no reflection on which series I like best.

I'm certainly not tired of Moffat's way of doing things as regards Sherlock - this series has been very good so far imo - a great improvement on the last one (I know not everyone will agree :D).

Now my concern is - has Moff given his all to Sherlock, produced a wonderful series, and DW will get the scraps? Or is Moff on a creative roll, and DW series 10 will be legendary in it's perfection?

Time will tell.....

Just noticed this post Granny.... after last Sunday and your subsequent posts on the Sherlock thread, maybe your views have changed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out that they do indeed have a Peter Capaldi figure there, the only Doctor other than Tennant.

I never said they didn't. What makes this quite extraordinary is that it's a new line of toys for 2017 that centres around Tennant, not Capaldi.

David Tennant merchandising sold phenomenally when he was playing the roll and there was no nostalgic element. Sadly, the same doesn't currently appear evident for Capaldi...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the next time I tune into a doctor who episode on TV will probably be when the Horror channel air the classic series again.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the next time I tune into a doctor who episode on TV will probably be when the Horror channel air the classic series again.
    Horror channel no longer have the rights.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I think there has been a lot going against the shown in the past few years. I think (a personal view) the choice of Doctor and companion for the past few seasons hasn't helped.

And I don't think the writing has been particularly attractive for family audiences either.

But I do think the move back to the autumn schedule and the later slot have also not helped.

I am genuinely hopeful that the move back to spring and the new companion will both give the show a ratings bounce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Horror channel no longer have the rights.

Id presumed it was still on.