Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP. Nice guy and good manager.
  • Asb81Asb81 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Sad news
    Fantastic achievement in getting Watford to the top flight and Cup final in the early 80's when just a very young manager

Yep and sad to think that the two managers from that 1984 FA Cup Final (Howard Kendall and Graham Taylor) are no longer alive given they were both young bosses at the time.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was quite a nice and simple tribute I've seen, just a quick gif of him beaming his head off to lead Watford out at Wembley

https://twitter.com/OllieTrenchard/status/819541225468403714
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP

Good club manager and came over as a good pundit and decent chap on radio 5 in his later years

He didn't do great with England but then no one else has for decades either

He did suffer a bit after 'that' documentary and the criticism was pretty fair as he didn't come over well
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, boy was I not expecting to come in, and read this!

2017 starting off where 2016 finished, in terms of high profile deaths.

Very sad indeed.

I always liked to listen to him on the radio, he came over very well there I thought, but sadly most people will think of that stupid, pathetic headline, when they think of him.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Graham Taylor, sad news. :(

I remember that doc they did on him, where he was swearing like a trooper! :D
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the pantheon of teams who were made into something so much more than the sum of their parts, Taylor's early to mid-80s Watford side are right up there.

Didn't they go from Division 3 to an FA Cup final and European competition under Taylor?
  • mark owenmark owen Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I meet him 2 years really nice guy. :( RIP
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met him back in 1994 he was manager at Wolves i was only 15 he took time to have a quick chat with me asking me who my favourite Wolves player was etc, he was a really nice guy a true gentleman who will be sorely missed.
    Saturday is Wolves v Villa it will be a very emotional match.
  • David_Flett1David_Flett1 Posts: 9,309
    Forum Member
    Further to my opening post and time to reflect, it is a great sadness to comment on such a sad loss. Graham was a true football fan first and foremost and took what little resources he had when beginning management and as we saw with his spells at Lincoln, Watford and Aston Villa probably over achieved. There are always downsides in any career and yes England was one of them but the side he took over from Bobby Robson was already beginning to break up and during that period England didn't have the best players to choose from. The level of abuse he received from parts of the media at this time would have made many seek escape instead Graham showed immense dignity in how he handled the situation.

As a neutral I loved listening to Graham on five live, he was insightful and demonstrated his passion and love of football and his great knowledge of the game. I will miss his contributions to radio just in the same way I will no longer see any more contributions from some of my favourite music and film actors that passed away some of which also died tragically too young.

I think his family will take immense pride from the reaction to his passing and will at least be comforted by the vast majority of those who have sent their best wishes. Rest in Peace Graham you will be sadly missed by more football fans than you could ever have imagined.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long into the new year is it, RiP he always seemed a top bloke.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met him many years ago, and had tea and cakes with him. He was a very nice bloke, and did some good stuff in a charitable sense behind the scenes. Very sad news.

He was yet another England manager that was treated woefully by the media.
  • John_Adam1John_Adam1 Posts: 1,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sat and had lunch with him at our local back in March last year. He was a truly decent man. :(
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turnip Head that's what the press called him.

Very sad news RIP
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,004
    Forum Member
    Very sad and tragic.

Of course a true WFC legend or maybe the true WFC legend!

Will always remember the 2 promotions in 98 and 99 under GT (was too late to enjoy the wonderful era of the late 70s/80s)

RIP.

People will talk about England and maybe even GT would have said it didn't go well but I think the fact he was quite happy to go back into work and later join the media says something.

Unfortunately it was in era when England were probably the most important team football wise so the pressure was intense and the press could get away with much more than they could now.
  • The AmazingThe Amazing Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still maintain he was a better England manager than Roy Hodgson.
  • DUHODUHO Posts: 2,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The qualifying groups are so diluted now ANYONE could get England to a tournament finals. In Taylors day we had the likes of Norway (who were then up and coming) and the Netherlands in the same group. So yes on the whole you are probably correct
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news. Always came across as a thoroughly decent person with a good sense of humour. People forget If it wasn't for a diabolical refereeing decision, England would most likely have qualified for 1994 World Cup at the expense of a good Dutch team. He also never had a fit Gacoigne available.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,004
    Forum Member
    Also the Euros group was pretty tough - 2 draws (one against France and the other against the eventual winners) and a narrow defeat against the hosts.

Anyway sadly England haven't exactly improved since as suggested above.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wasn't very good with England, it's still fine to acknowledge that as before.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

He was a disaster of an England manager, lets not get carried away here. Good bloke according to almost everyone that met him and fantastic achievements at club level which will long be remembered but we cant rewrite history based on him passing away.

The documentary didn't help our view of his time in charge either.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,918
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    I met him back in 1994 he was manager at Wolves i was only 15 he took time to have a quick chat with me asking me who my favourite Wolves player was etc, he was a really nice guy a true gentleman who will be sorely missed.
    Saturday is Wolves v Villa it will be a very emotional match.

Yeah, as a Wolves fan he isn't my favourite ever manager, but he was a true gentlemen, worked tirelessly wherever he went, achieved huge success and always carried himself well. The match on Saturday is going to be pretty emotional.
  • Asb81Asb81 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUHO wrote: »
    The qualifying groups are so diluted now ANYONE could get England to a tournament finals. In Taylors day we had the likes of Norway (who were then up and coming) and the Netherlands in the same group. So yes on the whole you are probably correct

Norway were the unfortunate joker in the pack England landed then, a nation with little past football pedigree but who came to the fore in that qualifying campaign (they also beat the Dutch) and basically meant one out of England or the Netherlands would miss out. Taylor unquestionably made some costly mistakes (and got it very wrong away to Norway), but he could still could conceivably have led England to the finals as one of the top two sides were it not for a combination of Norway's emergence and key decisions going against his side.

Also he led England to Euro '92 unbeaten from a pretty tough group in which only the winners would progress - no play-offs etc. It was only really in that tournament that things began to go sour for him, having lost just one match in nearly two years prior to it. Not a great England reign by any means, but I would say he was no more a "disaster" as England manager than several others over the years.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP - seemed a very genial, generous and warn man. I half dreaded Sky would announce Phil Neal's demise 5 seconds later but thankfully not... He'll be richly and rightfully celebrated at Vicarage Road on Saturday.
  • The AmazingThe Amazing Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    He was a disaster of an England manager, lets not get carried away here. Good bloke according to almost everyone that met him and fantastic achievements at club level which will long be remembered but we cant rewrite history based on him passing away.
    I'm not rewriting anything as I have always held this position whenever "Worst England Manager" debates are started, even when Hodgson was still in charge.