Options

Graham Taylor dies

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press should be ashamed of the way that they acted towards a thoroughly decent bloke, I hope that even back in 1994/95, when he was under a barrage of attacks (the personal ones especially), that people knew how unfair this was.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The press should be ashamed of the way that they acted towards a thoroughly decent bloke, I hope that even back in 1994/95, when he was under a barrage of attacks (the personal ones especially), that people knew how unfair this was.

He wasn't under any attack in 1994/95 as he stopped being England manager in 1993.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    He wasn't under any attack in 1994/95 as he stopped being England manager in 1993.

Fair enough, my error, back in 92/93 then, the type of personal criticism was beyond the pale really.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what the media. did, certainly the Sun, was nothing short of cruel, uncalled for and hurtful.
    We all had our issues with the England team back then, and still do. We all call them names and make jokes about them but we never go that far. Somebody in charge of that scum of a paper thought it was a good idea to ruin this poor mans life.

I can't imagine the hurt he and his family went through. I don't think it ever really left him.

A wonderful man that will be missed.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Taylor got the same treatment that any failing England manager got, including the equally wonderful Bobby Robson.

He picked poor sides with odd tactics and got bad results - the public hated him and the press reflected that as they do.

Im genuinely sad that he has passed away and I dont doubt that he was a nice guy and a talented manager but I think this retrospective hatred for the press doesn't really reflect the strength of feeling at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commenting on his poor results from an England perspective was fine, where it crossed the line was where it got personal, there was simply no need at all for that.

A manager always knows that he is there to be shot at, or fair game for criticism, if results don't go their way, but to go beyond that is not fair, nor is it warranted.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Its amazing how few people had any objection to his portrayal in the press at the time.

I think attitudes have definitely changed, only in retrospect was the press treatment seen to have been over the top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I think attitudes have definitely changed, only in retrospect was the press treatment seen to have been over the top.

Only being a child at the time (92/93ish), it does amaze me that people thought it was okay to be THAT spiteful, and horrible towards someone who was not exactly Trump towards the press.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »

The turnip picture was harsh but it was part of a back page slating the entire team - Swedes 2 Turnips 0 .

If anything I think the abuse Robson got prior to 1990 was as bad if not worse but that seems to have been airbrushed from history altogether.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't see the point of being critical of person away from the football results business, does it help to sell more copies, or to get more clicks these days?

Say that it was poor that we didn't qualify for the world cup finals, but to deliberately to try and humiliate someone, that just seems pointless and needlessly cruel to me.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taylor got the same treatment that any failing England manager got, including the equally wonderful Bobby Robson.

He picked poor sides with odd tactics and got bad results - the public hated him and the press reflected that as they do.

Im genuinely sad that he has passed away and I dont doubt that he was a nice guy and a talented manager but I think this retrospective hatred for the press doesn't really reflect the strength of feeling at the time.

The press do it to every England manager, and incite the public hatred.

There is no justification for their tactics.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Never the less the hatred existed and the press treatment happened to others too as you say.

The public are free to turn against the press if they wish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree there really is no need for getting deeply personal over such things, they should stick to being critical of them in their professional careers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never the less the hatred existed and the press treatment happened to others too as you say.

The public are free to turn against the press if they wish.

I think many people do dislike the press, but it is not something that can get heard in the same way.

For some reason the press seem to think it is okay to carry out this onslaught against every England manager. They will be sharpening their knives for Southgate now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think many people do dislike the press, but it is not something that can get heard in the same way.

For some reason the press seem to think it is okay to carry out this onslaught against every England manager. They will be sharpening their knives for Southgate now.

Agreed, but it's a chicken and egg situation, you need only read this forum when there is an England game on to see people sitting poised to turn on the manager and players in a way they wouldnt dream of doing with their club sides. That's not all down to the press
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There must be an audience for the type of stuff that they write, but it doesn't make it right to after someone on a personal level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed, but it's a chicken and egg situation, you need only read this forum when there is an England game on to see people sitting poised to turn on the manager and players in a way they wouldnt dream of doing with their club sides. That's not all down to the press

I think it's been ingrained by the press over the years, and it's been added to with phone ins, and the internet.

The silent majority dont get heard.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Taylor took over when England had just finished 4th in the World Cup and optimism was at a high. He squandered that legacy which is why he's judged much harsher than other England managers. These days, everyone accepts that England are going nowhere but back in 1990, it looked like the team was on the verge of a breakthrough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taylor took over when England had just finished 4th in the World Cup and optimism was at a high. He squandered that legacy which is why he's judged much harsher than other England managers. These days, everyone accepts that England are going nowhere but back in 1990, it looked like the team was on the verge of a breakthrough.

True, but it still doesn't give them licence to attack him on a personal level, and call him a Turnip, and humiliate him like they did.
  • Options
    DUHODUHO Posts: 2,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A very fortunate 4th it has to be said. Of the 10 matches England played in Euro 88 and Italia 90 only ONE was actually won in 90 minutes...........The same number as the ROI. Agreed England should have done better with Taylor in charge but we were certainly NO world beaters when he took over
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Graham Taylor ever realised how warmly he was regarded as a human being forgetting the OTT stick he got as a football manager? Either way, I hope the many tales of his kindness and decency have gone some way towards offering his friends and family some solace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People are nice about you when you die and gloss over the negatives. It has ever been thus.

Cilla Black was commonly regarded as the biggest bitch in showbiz for years but theres just been a statue unveiled this week and it rarely gets a mention now that she has shuffled off.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are nice about you when you die and gloss over the negatives. It has ever been thus.

Cilla Black was commonly regarded as the biggest bitch in showbiz for years but theres just been a statue unveiled this week and it rarely gets a mention now that she has shuffled off.

I never heard one single bad thing said about Taylor as a man - yet before and after his death plenty of personal accounts of the time he gave people and his kindnesses. There are indeed many that don't deserve such reverence but I'd be staggered if Taylor is one of them.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But nobody cared about him as a man. He was a football manager and that's how he was judged. When Hodgson failed miserably at Euro 2012 I don't recall many people up in arms that not enough people were mentioning what a thoroughly nice bloke he is.

Besides few die and get called retrospectively a bit of a shit. 99% of people in football who pass will get glowing references from those who knew them. Doesn't mean each time a player makes a bad tackle we don't shout "you cheating ****" at the telly in case they die in a few years and someone remarks how good they were with sick kids.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,077
    Forum Member
    Well yes naturally a sportsperson will probably have some flaws but as debated in another thread regarding people only making positive comments once somebody has died its just see n as respectful.

With social media and the papers the way they are many more examples of good and bad come out.

In Graham Taylor's case the comment about him being a "true football man" might well come about because these days so many feel some people in football aren't in it for the love of the sport.

And despite all the England stick he was very welcoming of the press afterwards always willing to speak/comment.

A good relationship with the media and people always helps.