Options

Revisiting The Queen's Nose

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
I was recently watching series 1-6 of the 90's kids show The Queen's Nose and I thought it was really good but as I was watching it I found myself thinking of some pretty serious questions.

Where did this mysterious magic coin come from? I know uncle Ginger gave it to Harmony, but where did HE get it from? Was it a coin crafted from precious minerals by the ancient mayans, or just some kind of wierd phenomenon?

How does the coin get from wherever they let it go from at the end of the 1 series to the beginning of the next series? Fair enough from the end of the 1st series she throws it near a canal and the 2nd series it comes back to her in the water, but the end of series 2 she throws it off a roof, which could have hit someone if she wasnt careful, and at the beginning of series 3 Dino somehow gets hold of it somewhere really far away from where Harmony threw it. So how did it get there?
At the end of series 3, Harmony and Dino write a note and send it with the coin down a river and at the start of series 4 it somehow gets trapped in a slide machine at a funfair and what do you know it, no note to be found. Where did the note disappear to? Did somebody pick it up, ignore the note, which mentioned magic and wishes, and use it for the machine? We need to know what happened.
These questions beg to be answered.

Why is it that at any 1 time Harmony and Melody can either be at each others throats or the best of friends? In one scene they can be shouting at each other and the next scene they are walking down the street hand in hand laughing and joking.

Who knows about this coin? Each series they cant seem to decide who knows that the coin grants wishes and who doesn't. Sometimes characters are suprised when strange things happen, sometimes they just take it in their stride.
When the dad turned their gran into a toad, he didnt really seem that bothered that she was, in fact, a toad and that she turned back into a human in front of his very eyes. He never mentions it again after that, which is a bit strange giving all the wierd stuff that happens to them after that.
I also love the fact that in series 2, after the school scenes we never see Harmony set foot in there again.

Or am i just thinking about it too much?

Comments

• Options
    BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are definitely thinking about it too much - in one sense.

In another sense, you've missed the rather obvious question... at one point during the series run, it changes from the old style 50p to the new style...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bertypop wrote: »
    You are definitely thinking about it too much - in one sense.

In another sense, you've missed the rather obvious question... at one point during the series run, it changes from the old style 50p to the new style...

Oh, yeah. I completely forgot about that. As if we weren't going to notice.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a good series have they ever repeated on a digital channel like CBBC or Cbeebies?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I thought it was a good series have they ever repeated on a digital channel like CBBC or Cbeebies?

No, I think the last time they showed any of it was like 2006 or something. I really hope they put it on DVD, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. Although they did release Maid Marian on DVD so there is a possibility, so we live in hope.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Where did this mysterious magic coin come from? I know uncle Ginger gave it to Harmony, but where did HE get it from? Was it a coin crafted from precious minerals by the ancient mayans, or just some kind of wierd phenomenon?
    That's a question Dick King-Smith is best placed to answer.

For its target audience, The Queen's Nose was a very good show. Kids aren't going to be over analytical such was the quality of drama back then that the plot was central to everything, but in hindsight, they would realise how foolish a magicial 50p coin is. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved watching this with my kids. Another series I also enjoyed was "See How They Run" which was about a family who had to go to Australia on a witness protection scheme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The other things I noticed when rewatching series 1 today were the religious overtones of Uncle Ginger.

In episode 1 he starts WALKING ON WATER. If that isn't intentional, I don't know what is.
    He also seems to be all knowing, he seems to always know when Harmony needs him. He appears in visions, which is what happened in the bible (not sure where), through a mirror, a waterfall, in a book.
    Harmony also THINKS of Ginger as some kind of god, she looks up to him like no other person.
    At the end of series 1, Ginger has an accident which brings him close to death in a African village. He kind of ressurects from death. Harmony says "I thought you were dead" meaning that in her mind he WAS dead, so in her point of view he kind of HAS come back from the dead.

Again, I could be reading FAR too much into all of this, but it's just my opinion.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember my teenage self rather enjoying the opening scene to the very first episode of the very first series........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeGnS7hMCkY
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,468
    Forum Member
    I remember my teenage self rather enjoying the opening scene to the very first episode of the very first series........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeGnS7hMCkY

Haha, I see why.

It's one of those classic shows with a beautiful theme tune.
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definetly thinking too much
    I use to love the show, more so when it was family based in the earlier series then when Arthur started fostering
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adored this show so much & The Demon Headmaster. Shame they have not been repeated.
  • Options
    pokemasterpokemaster Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Youtube which seems to have the episode clipped down to 10 minutes is there any where I can watch this as I used to love it.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pokemaster wrote: »
    Apart from Youtube which seems to have the episode clipped down to 10 minutes is there any where I can watch this as I used to love it.

Series1: www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE6OlDN6Rc4
    Series2:www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUIBBc1NbuQ
    Series3:www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7vEJpcbUXk
  • Options
    pokemasterpokemaster Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh thanks, when I looked before they were all cut, glad they are fun now will give me something to watch tomorrow :-)

EDIT: these look cut too, if it was 6 episodes in the first series at 24mins a time that is 2hrs and 24mins long and "Volume 1" is only 1hr39mins long