Options

Will we ever see The Ood again?

2»

Comments

• Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the ood hav no dialogue. With moffat writing, that wd be a big plus .......... Plus they carry their testicles in their hands, jolly good fun .....
  • Options
    HeWhoIsHereHeWhoIsHere Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I hope not. They like the Silurians are an evil species that the Doctor protects above Humans.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the karaoke, singing "I'm in the Ood for Dancing"?

Yes, and after that singing "Don't stop me now, I'm having such an Ood time. I'm having a ball!"

:D:D:D
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread makes very Ood reading.....

But as an answer to the OP anything could happen, we might see a yeti again, or even some Chumblies!
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too liked the Ood when we first met them. They were so polite and helpful and I remember thinking how nice it would be if people were like that.

Post slavery, are they as polite and respectful to others as they were before, or has their freedom led to them behaving differently?
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Post slavery, are they as polite and respectful to others as they were before, or has their freedom led to them behaving differently?
    This wouldn't be a bad concept for an episode in its own right. We saw the Ood briefly in The End of Time and their society had accelerated much faster than the Doctor had anticipated - a plot thread I don't think was ever quite explored.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to revisit that some time :) A bit like the whole Elizabeth I thing - something hinted at but not explored until much, much later (although hopefully done better than that example if it ever were)
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »

But as an answer to the OP anything could happen, we might see a yeti again, or even some Chumblies!

What's a Chumblie? :confused:

Just thinking; The Chumblies sounds like a children's TV programme from the 80s, aimed at seven year olds! :D
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I too liked the Ood when we first met them. They were so polite and helpful and I remember thinking how nice it would be if people were like that.

As I understand it, the explanation for typical placid Ood behaviour was that they'd evolved a somewhat pacifistic nature because part of their brain that allowed telepathic communing was in a very exposed, very vulnerable place - hand held. If they'd been more aggressive any fighting would have meant damage to that and much worse survival / reproductive chances.

They had to be nice to each other to survive.

There'd have to be some explanation given in any new Ood centred story if that had changed.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've been seeing them, but we keep forgetting.
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »

I'd like to see the Mechanoids again...

In Robot of Sherwood, it would have been fun to have the Merry Men led by Robin Ood (with eyes of Lincoln green), but I imagine it's difficult to draw a longbow when you're clutching your secondary brain in at least one hand.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    As I understand it, the explanation for typical placid Ood behaviour was that they'd evolved a somewhat pacifistic nature because part of their brain that allowed telepathic communing was in a very exposed, very vulnerable place - hand held. If they'd been more aggressive any fighting would have meant damage to that and much worse survival / reproductive chances.

They had to be nice to each other to survive.

Which is all very well for them, but it means they must have evolved on a planet with no other animal life, or they'd have been wiped out as soon as they emerged....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which is all very well for them, but it means they must have evolved on a planet with no other animal life, or they'd have been wiped out as soon as they emerged....

I never said it was a convincing argument. :)