Options

A New Day for Doctor Who?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TARDIS BlueTARDIS Blue Posts: 10,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moving it to the autumn might have seemed like a nice idea at first, but it's not working. Putting it against the rugby was just stupid. Then you have the X-factor and SCD. The latter which, by my understanding, is largely responsible for the inconsistent start times - another problem with the series as of late.

I think the best thing for the show would be to start a new series in early January, with 12 consecutive episodes in a consistent timeslot on a Saturday night. Then have a special in the summer, say August bank holiday weekend, to bridge the gap between the end of the main series and Christmas.

I can't say it bothers me on a strictly personal level when the show is on as more often than not I am in work anyway, which means I have to catch up with it later on iPlayer. However, if it's going to have an impact on ratings then it's in the best interest of the show to do something about the current scheduling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    They just need to stop moving the time about.

It shows a lack of respect. They could do better to control the length of "Strictly" which is way to long.

However, the "Lake" episode was quite scary for younger viewers (perhaps)! This is the only reason it should be moved although the kids are going to watch it anyway aren't they? Hopefully later means: watch it Sunday morning rather than right before bed.

Have to say, on that topic, I have no idea what frightens kids anymore. Based on my own, it appears to be nothing.
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My option isn't there as i don't mind when it is on at all. i will watch it whatever time of year and day.
  • Options
    UnicyclatrixUnicyclatrix Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    They just need to stop moving the time about.

This!
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's been a bit of talk about the Mid-week slot the show had when Peter Davison was The Doctor. This was when I first watched it, I was aware even though I was young at the time, that the series had been more of a Saturday thing but it didn't bother me at all really, the Davison Seasons were that good and it was on twice a week so that was a bonus in itself.

What I do remember is that the Show was scheduled very carefully at the time to avoid Corrie on the other side and off course, there was no EastEnders back then. It was always a case in my home that Doctor Who was my time then my parents would snatch the control back and watch Corrie afterwards!

Off course, nowadays it's all different. Back then it was 25 minutes and there wasn't a regular programme in that 6.45-7.30 slot it seemed to work round in the Davison years.

Now you have local news and the One Show in that slot most weeks and most nights there is soaps on on ITV and EastEnders is on at 8 twice a week so where would you actually put Doctor Who midweek bearing in mind those programs are on nearly all year round and without putting it up against Emmerdale or Corrie, especially as it is now 45 minutes long?

For me, I would keep it to Saturdays but move it back to Spring. Aside the avoidance of clashing with big ITV shows in the Autumn, it breaks up the year between Christmas and a New Series and vice versa.

Personally they could show it at 3 in the morning and I'd still have Iplayer to catch up on it. I'm out most Saturdays(Not so far this series yet) so it may as well be! However, I do like to see the show doing well in the ratings but the autumn just seems an unnecessary time to show it when it was working so well in Spring during the RTD Era.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Now you have local news and the One Show in that slot most weeks and most nights there is soaps on on ITV and EastEnders is on at 8 twice a week so where would you actually put Doctor Who midweek bearing in mind those programs are on nearly all year round and without putting it up against Emmerdale or Corrie, especially as it is now 45 minutes long?

It's bonkers, I think, how ITV1 and BBC1 have painted themselves into a corner with their early evening schedule during the week. There's no room for creativity, innovation or (to be honest) choice. It's soaps or a magazine show and that's it.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    It's bonkers, I think, how ITV1 and BBC1 have painted themselves into a corner with their early evening schedule during the week. There's no room for creativity, innovation or (to be honest) choice. It's soaps or a magazine show and that's it.

I agree, and even after 8 there just seems to be this endless scheduling of hospital/cop shows/cooking programs plus soaps. Just don't see where you would fit Doctor Who in anywhere these days during the week.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    big e would make a great companion
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No option for leave it as it is?
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    No option for leave it as it is?

Think that is the Saturday in the Autumn one! :)