Sarah Millican..................is there a single panel show she wont appear on ??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    But she IS funny. Just because you or others don’t agree doesn’t negate that central truth. You could repeat it endlessly on every forum available but she’d still go on filling auditoria, selling DVDs and appearing on panel shows and by sheer dint of continuing to work....proving her detractors wrong.
    "Central truth"? Since when did opinion become such hard fact?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talky Tiki wrote: »
    "Central truth"? Since when did opinion become such hard fact?

People find her funny. Therefore she IS funny. There’s no more evidence than that needed. You might not like her humour but that is a matter of personal taste. I don’t particularly like Jo Brand. She has however, on rare occasions, even made me laugh and I can see from her success that other people find her amusing so it would be somewhat arrogant to definitively assert as a proclamation “Jo Brand is not funny” because clearly she is to many.

Just a flying visit - I’ll address the other replies (which have caused me and a couple of colleagues BIG laughs) in the next day or so as I find myself unexpectedly busy so my attackers will have to be patient.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't bear Jack Whitehall.

He's like one of those kids with rich parents who suddenly decides he wants to be a musician, so they build him a recording studio in their home even though he has sod all musical talent.

If he or Russell Howard ever appeared on QI, I'd set Lulz Security on Stephen Fry's Twitter account.

To be fair to her, the same could be said about most female comedians!

What is it with this country and inverted snobbery? He comes from a well-off family and your point is. If no one found him funny, then he would have failed miserably no matter how much "money" his parents had thrown at his career which I highly doubt they did anyway. You can't buy your way into the comedy industry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    People find her funny. Therefore she IS funny. There’s no more evidence than that needed. You might not like her humour but that is a matter of personal taste. I don’t particularly like Jo Brand. She has however, on rare occasions, even made me laugh and I can see from her success that other people find her amusing so it would be somewhat arrogant to definitively assert as a proclamation “Jo Brand is not funny” because clearly she is to many.
    It's not a matter of fact or "central truth" though. It's only opinion. You even contradict yourself by throwing in the bit about it being personal taste. I could use your theory to state the "central truth" that kids getting cancer is funny, simply because some people can make jokes about it. Nothing and no-one is objectively funny or un-funny, it's all down to opinion.
  • Captain TimberCaptain Timber Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Loving the irony of you insulting someone by calling them a vile “simpleton” when your post is riddled with basic grammatical errors! :D

<pedant> And South Shields isn't a city. Newcastle Upon Tyne is, and so is Sunderland. </pedant>
  • Jimmy Big LegsJimmy Big Legs Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    gagaluv wrote: »
    What is it with this country and inverted snobbery? He comes from a well-off family and your point is. If no one found him funny, then he would have failed miserably no matter how much "money" his parents had thrown at his career which I highly doubt they did anyway. You can't buy your way into the comedy industry.

I'm not judging him for being well-off. Infact, I have no idea whether he is or not, that was merely an analogy. I am, however, judging him for having seemingly no comedy talent. And having parents that work in the entertainment industry - as Jack's do - must surely have its benefits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    I don't mind Sarah Millican, but she is admittedly another comedian who is given blanket coverage on all of these panel shows. It's like their management just throws their funny clients into literally every show they can get, so all the viewer can do is get sick of them.

Miranda Hart, Michael Macintyre, Reginald D. Hunter, Jack Whitehall, Russell Howard, Jimmy Carr, Russell Kane, David Mitchell, Victoria bloody Coren (who isn't a comedienne, but is in the same panel show circuit). They just go from one show to another, and eventually people will get sick of them. Most of them have the same type of humour too, the very safe and bland style. Nothing hugely cutting edge or interesting. While some of them (Miranda) feel like they're from a different era entirely, which I guess is their Daily Mail-approved appeal.

All in my opinion, before anyone jumps on me.
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Shinny04 wrote: »
    At least she has a talent. What about TOWIE cast and their idiot 'reem' catchphrase, or Katie Price and her pointless and endless reality shows? Why should they be famous and not her?

QFT!
    best boy wrote: »
    Millican is the epitome of todays so-called comedians. They play the oh-so-safe persona knowing that endless opportunities will come their way and programmes that are equally unfunny.

Chris Addison. No talent but raking it in on that bloody annoying insurance advert.
    Andy Hamilton. Safe bet on HIGNFY and MTW. Appeals to the retarded dwarf vote.
    Russell Howard. How 'safe' can you get?
    Whitehall? As stated, simply not funny.
    Dermot O' Bloody Briainaina (or whatever). You're Fired, MTW, Three men in a boat, QI etc. etc. Laugh? I nearly did!
    Reginald D Hunter. The original 'one trick pony'.
    Miranda. Loved by women, loathed by blokes. Why loved by women? So they can go 'Oooh, that's me, that is!' Ladies, I can assure you that blokes do not go for fat, ugly, clumsy wimmin - Miranda, Bridget Jones etc.- even less if they constantly 'mug' at the cameras in a Benny Hill styleee.

And Millican? Fat, ugly, talentless and as has been said, on almost everything nowadays. I first saw her on McIntyre's (equally unfunny) 'Live at the Apollo'. Millican did her usual rambling crap in that awful, whingeing Geordie voice and the camera cut to the audience who were pissing themselves laughing. Oldest trick in the book. The crowd were either:

at another concert

So pissed they'd laugh at absolutely anything or

thinking 'I've paid for this and will pretend I'm enjoying it!'

I think Andy Hamilton is genius, and I'm neither retarded nor a dwarf. I particularly love Drop The Dead Donkey and Outnumbered on TV, and Old Harry's Game, Revolting People and Trevor's World of Sport on Radio. IMO, he is a brilliant and very talented writer.

BTW, I also love Miranda (and, no, I don't think she's like me at all!) and Sarah. They both make me laugh.

Just a flying visit - I’ll address the other replies (which have caused me and a couple of colleagues BIG laughs) in the next day or so as I find myself unexpectedly busy so my attackers will have to be patient.

Please come back soon - I'm enjoying your posts! :)
  • PodiumPodium Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Sarah Millican is great .
    If I see her as a guest on a panel show that will tempt me to watch it even if I don't usually.
    She is on the rise and popular which is why she is on tv so much.

As a relatively new face in the last year or two it makes sense for her to have tv exposure as this will generate audiences for her tour and also lets people who like her discover her.

If you don't like her then you can always watch something else.
    Chances are that most people who don't like her will themselves enjoy something that others think is shit but we don't waste time starting threads to whinge about them , we stay away from them .

Far better to chat about things you do like.

Hear, hear!
    Sarah is a natural comedy talent and I have enjoyed many a snigger/laugh at her humorous observations.

If you don't like her, don't watch (that always worked for me).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least on panel shows, sarah seems to come across as natural and off the cuff unlike whitehall, howard etc' who just hawk out their stand-up material for whatever subject bears the slightest similarity.

Ps i'm still laughing at the poster who compared whitehall to rich kid wannabe musician who's parents build him a recording studio. Hilariously true.

I'm more enraged with panel shows when they bring in the same women who aren't funny in the slightest but they hire em cos they're ditzy...winkleman and jamelia!!!
  • dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    At least on panel shows, sarah seems to come across as natural and off the cuff unlike whitehall, howard etc' who just hawk out their stand-up material for whatever subject bears the slightest similarity.

Ps i'm still laughing at the poster who compared whitehall to rich kid wannabe musician who's parents build him a recording studio. Hilariously true.

I'm more enraged with panel shows when they bring in the same women who aren't funny in the slightest but they hire em cos they're ditzy...winkleman and jamelia!!!

I disagree about Whitehall. I think he's come of age over the last year and is now a very accomplished performer. Also, he makes sharp topical jokes on panel shows, which cannot have come from a stand up act. For example, his jokes about the Greek economy on 8 and a 1/2 Cats this week.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Day after day.................week after week.............month after month....................for the last year, EVERY single blooming panel show on tv seems to be be invaded by this vile unfunny simpleton women.

Cant she bugger off from our screens please...................yes love, we get what city your from..................you dont have to shove it down our throats every time your on tv :rolleyes:

Thats a bit like asking why does a temp take every placement they are offered and appear in many different places , they obviously do it to get the money whilst the work is there , they would be silly to turn it down.
  • Captain TimberCaptain Timber Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    best boy, you're wrong about Miranda Hart - please kick yourself up the arse. :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Day after day.................week after week.............month after month....................for the last year, EVERY single blooming panel show on tv seems to be be invaded by this vile unfunny simpleton women.

Cant she bugger off from our screens please...................yes love, we get what city your from..................you dont have to shove it down our throats every time your on tv :rolleyes:

So a Londoner, Brummie, Welsh, Scot ect should change their accent in order that you can watch the programme?

Edit: She's not 'shoving' anything down our throats either. That's how they talk.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lisalee23 wrote: »
    I dont mind her although her voice is annoying, its soooo high! However i can understand why some people may find her annoying. Another person who will do any panel show is Jack Whitehall. He is funny but i dont want to see him on everything, whos betting hes on the next series of QI?

It is the same for all the modern day stand up comedians, Jack Whitehall who you have mentioned as well as Jason Manford, Holly Walsh, Dara O' Brian, Russell Howard, Micky Flanagan, Sean Lock, Jimmy Carr, Lee Mack, Russell Watson etc. It is a common method for the stand up to gain exposure and a typical way for their agents to advise them to gain popularity quickly. It seems that the comedian seems to place emphasis on Television appearances rather than going touring, which is the way you should gain recognition for your craft.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I'd never heard of her so just Googled some pics of her and still don't recognise her - though she does look a lot like my friend Lis :D
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    I'd never heard of her so just Googled some pics of her and still don't recognise her - though she does look a lot like my friend Lis :D

I didn't recognise the name so googled and recognised the picture. Strange rant because there are others who appear much more often.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    There are indeed others who appear much more regularly, but they don't (with the notable exception of Jo "period" Brand) rely on about 2 jokes to get them through.

If Sarah Millican mentions one more time how much she loves cake (oh, what a fabulous and clever female stereotype), then I'll .... I'll ,,,,, I'll ,,,,,, Well, I'll bloody well come on here and moan again!

I remember hearing her on 7 Day Sunday on Radio 5, when she mentioned that she found her still-in-the-box exercise equipment to be more use to her as shelves. Quick as a flash, and before his brain had a chance to engage, Chris Addison said, "Your doctor might say different!". Best off-the-cuff retort I've heard for a long while! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to see her live stand up and both me and my husband said she's the funniest comedian we've seen - she's pure brilliance!
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Went to see her live stand up and both me and my husband said she's the funniest comedian we've seen - she's pure brilliance!

Going to see her in October cant wait.

Lainey
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really upset couldn't see her this year as stand up sold out in our area :( and going to miss next years tour as well
  • LaurawhittzLaurawhittz Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she's great! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Another one here who thinks she's a great, natural comedic talent :) just love her self deprecation
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's fantastic. Going to see her in Newcastle next year. Really, really looking forward to it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Ever since "The Apprentice you're fired" show, she's been hot property, and lots of people can see why, she's a funny girl, nice accent too.
This discussion has been closed.