Options

ITV regions still not sorted out

Reg_1994Reg_1994 Posts: 55
Forum Member
It's now a year since the remaining encrypted ITV micro regions went FTA. I've done a rescan and checked while the regional news is on. Sure enough I'm still getting Yorkshire West instead of East and ITV +1 Granada. There's also Meridian North, Anglia West and Central South West as well as Central HD and Meridian HD. I can't confirm what's happened in those regions but I'm guessing they haven't been added either. I thought it might have been sorted out a short while after going FTA, but I can't believe it's still not correct after a year.

Does anyone know what ITV are playing at, or do they just not give a damn?

Comments

• Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps wait until Astra 2E comes into service ......
  • Options
    BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm that here in Cambridge we're still getting ITV Anglia East when it should be ITV Anglia West.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish all the ITV regions had full names like ITV Meridian, ITV Granada instead of the all saying just "ITV"*.

All the BBC regions are names accordingly "BBC 1 S East" and "BBC 1 Oxford" etc.

(I have a FTA reciever).

* They used to
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I don't think enough people watch HD. I know people who can't see the difference between SD & HD! true so it begs the question will ITV put HD on in the regions? I hope they do but won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think enough people watch HD. I know people who can't see the difference between SD & HD! true so it begs the question will ITV put HD on in the regions? I hope they do but won't hold my breath.

In 2018 or whenever 700MHz clearance happens, I think the PSBs plan to go HD only then, so maybe ITV will just switch what it does ITV SD gone for good and ITV HD fully regional.
    I dont see ITV making there ITV 2 HD, 3 HD and 4 HD FTA at that time, I think the current system will continue with those unless they can launch them in 4 K or something but I cant see that happening!
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reg_1994 wrote: »
    It's now a year since the remaining encrypted ITV micro regions went FTA. I've done a rescan and checked while the regional news is on. Sure enough I'm still getting Yorkshire West instead of East and ITV +1 Granada. There's also Meridian North, Anglia West and Central South West as well as Central HD and Meridian HD. I can't confirm what's happened in those regions but I'm guessing they haven't been added either. I thought it might have been sorted out a short while after going FTA, but I can't believe it's still not correct after a year.

Does anyone know what ITV are playing at, or do they just not give a damn?
    It's only a change to the Freesat postcode mapping that's required. God knows why they haven't bothered yet. I know when they went live with the +1 macro regions that the epgs where mixed up and it wasn't until I emailed ITV that it was sorted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've checked again today and at some point in the last few days channel 112 in the Yorkshire region is finally ITV +1 Yorkshire instead of Granada. However, that appears to be the only thing that has been corrected. 103 is still ITV Yorkshire West with my postcode, on Sky I get ITV Yorkshire East. Also 119 in the Central and Meridian regions is still ITV HD London, despite respective HD versions being FTA. I haven't checked if ITV Meridian North, Anglia West and Central South West have been added to 103 in those areas.

It's great that ITV have finally given Freesat viewers in Yorkshire the correct ITV+1 after all this time, but I can't fathom out why they'd add that and not the other ITV/ITV HD variants. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    For years the entire westcountry used to have its own service on sky and DTT.

ITV Westcountry S - for Plymouth

for HD we get Granada

For +1 we get Merdiaian (however you spell it)

for normal ITV we now get Bristol.

Thank god for the BBC otherwise Devon and Cornwall would no longer have any "local" news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reg_1994 wrote: »
    ....It's great that ITV have finally given Freesat viewers in Yorkshire the correct ITV+1 after all this time, but I can't fathom out why they'd add that and not the other ITV/ITV HD variants. :confused:
    Who knows! Seems crazy that they use to have some variants encrypted and others FTA. ITV just never seem to be in a hurry over aligning these things or perhaps they are just testing public reaction with a view to moving to larger macro regions in England eventually.

I think Channel 5 only provides one of it's regional variants to Freesat (though I haven't checked recently). Not that it really matters with the adverts being the only difference.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Who knows! Seems crazy that they use to have some variants encrypted and others FTA.
    Wasn't that down to lack of UK spot beam capacity though? Obviously not bothering to fix it since is a bit rubbish. I wonder if it will take some of the local TV stations launching on Freesat for them to be given the much needed kick up the arse to fix it?
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    Who knows! Seems crazy that they use to have some variants encrypted and others FTA. ITV just never seem to be in a hurry over aligning these things or perhaps they are just testing public reaction with a view to moving to larger macro regions in England eventually.

I think Channel 5 only provides one of it's regional variants to Freesat (though I haven't checked recently). Not that it really matters with the adverts being the only difference.

All the C5 regions have been available and mapped to Freesat postcode regionalisation since Feb 2012 shortly after their main TP moved to 1N (now 2F) and went FTA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    All the C5 regions have been available and mapped to Freesat postcode regionalisation since Feb 2012 shortly after their main TP moved to 1N (now 2F) and went FTA.
    Thanks for that M60
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that M60

No problem.

Why ITV seem disinterested in rolling out their other regions to Freesat I don't know as I'd have thought Ofcom would be pushing for this when technical limitations are removed which they now are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's the strange thing, ITV have finally given us Yorkshire +1 but not Yorkshire East :confused: At first I wondered if ITV now include Sheffield as the west (same as the BBC) but then I put in a Lincoln postcode and it was no different. At least the +1 is the Yorkshire East version so viewers in the east of the region can finally watch their version of Calendar, albeit an hour later and still not at the proper time.
  • Options
    galleonslapgalleonslap Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    The Meridian North micro region used to provide a Thames Valley local news version. Our postcode (near Andover) is within that area but Freesat mapped us to Meridian South (or is it West?), based on Southampton, as Meridian North on satellite was encrypted. It was only available on Sky (and Freeview of course - Hannington transmitter group).

2 or 3 years ago the bulletins were combined, so both regions were the same. Now Meridian have just re-started the separate Thames Valley news, and despite now being in the clear, Freesat are still mapping us to South/West and not North! :rolleyes: