Options

Hostages New US Thriller Starting Sat 11th Jan on Channel 4 (UK Pace)

Comments

• Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 132,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    It'll clash with season 2 of The Americans in a from next week, so I might give up now.......

I gave up on this trash a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to series 2 of The Americans though. :)
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Just seen that next weeks episode is on an hour earlier......looks like I'll b staying 'till the end :(
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Just seen that next weeks episode is on an hour earlier......looks like I'll b staying 'till the end :(

I'm watching too! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah the bitter end lol.
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen all of it. Totally preposterous, but oddly watchable!
  • Options
    humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the family are supposed to come across as such a despicable bunch of low life's.

I am really hoping that the Dr ends up with a bullet in the head. Same for the husband. OK the family were innocent (but dirt bags hiding under a middle class veneer) but to tamper with a dying woman's pain relief & then threaten to kill her after pumping enough diamorphine into her to prevent her calling for help is disgusting.

Just to point out that those self administering pain relief pumps are fitted with a 'lockout' feature to stop the patient from od'ing or trying to commit suicide. So that scene was bull.

I don't think Sanders would have really killed Duncan's wife. She was playing mind games with Duncan. The characters in this show don't always morally but a lot of them seem to have very good intentions. The show has a great premise, namely is it ok for people to do bad things if they have good reasons? or are some things just immoral? I do think it is badly executed and some of the acting leaves a lot to be desire. The forementioned cliffhanger was poorly resolved (someone just walks in on Sanders and asks her what she is doing).

I loved this weeks episode. The cliffhanger was the best so far. I certainly did not see that coming. Not quite the same as "Luke I am your father" but pretty close haha.

I can understand why people dislike this show because I will admit it is not as clever as say Breaking Bad or Homeland. I do love yarns though and I like a show that kind of goes with the old fashioned plot driven format.
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,877
    Forum Member
    I've been enjoying this so far. Even though it is quite often ridiculously implausible, I find there's a tension which draws me. For some reason, however, I got really confused this week and found myself forgetting who's who. I am particularly confused about the president's sister-in-law and the black military guy. Was it just my concentration slipping or did the plot twists shift up a gear? Might have to watch this episode again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched Saturday night's episode (UK pace Channel 4) on catch up / virgin on demand.

Bizarre stuff but strangely enthralling and addictive. Cannot look away kind of thing lool.

Always the same once one starts on these things - they have to be watched in completion and all the way up until the end (the death in this case).
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New time slot next week, 8pm.

With The Americans back on ITV next Saturday good move to avoid a clash.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen all of it. Totally preposterous, but oddly watchable!

More preposterous by the week, and yet, I think it's the only TV show/ film I've seen that has ever featured a silencer that actually sounds like a silencer rather than that "phut phut" sound they usually have.
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    More preposterous by the week, and yet, I think it's the only TV show/ film I've seen that has ever featured a silencer that actually sounds like a silencer rather than that "phut phut" sound they usually have.

I missed that little bit of verisimilitude! I might comment further on this show once all the episodes have been seen in the UK, but I still maintain it's good fun.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first couple, but not seen one since. Just working on the next one now - seems watchable enough.

Is it worth hanging in there?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just catching up now! OMG
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The acting could be better. I have seen clips of the Israeli version and the female lead seems much stronger and more central to the plot. I have no idea if the Israeli version follows the same plot as the American show.

The characters are cliched but so is James Bond and most of the thrillers from the 50s and 60s and those were good fun.

I honestly believe that one of main reasons that the show flopped is that there is no clear distinction between the good guys and bad guys. I have read so many reviews from American readers who say "I have no idea whose side I am supposed to be on" or "how can Duncan cuddle his daughter one minute and threaten to kill someone the next" The whole point of the show is that life is not black and white and sometimes good people do bad things for good reasons and vice versa. The ultimate question is does the end justify the means?

I really think Hostages is gripping TV and I much prefer it over the violence and sex ridden dramas that seem to be popular now.

Just my point of view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    I watched the first couple, but not seen one since. Just working on the next one now - seems watchable enough.

Is it worth hanging in there?

I think it is but we're all different! I like it for the plot twists and it does keep me on the edge of my seat sometimes. I'm a fan of dramas that get me thinking what I would do in the same situation and this is one, though there's more to it than that. Yes, a lot of it is far-fetched, but I can't think of a single series or film I've watched, especially of the thriller or spy/political intrigue variety, which has not had at least a smattering of very unlikely scenarios. If you can accept that and watch it for the story unfolding, and want to know what will happen next or at the end, as far as I'm concerned it's worth watching.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKFE wrote: »
    I think it is but we're all different! I like it for the plot twists and it does keep me on the edge of my seat sometimes. I'm a fan of dramas that get me thinking what I would do in the same situation and this is one, though there's more to it than that. Yes, a lot of it is far-fetched, but I can't think of a single series or film I've watched, especially of the thriller or spy/political intrigue variety, which has not had at least a smattering of very unlikely scenarios. If you can accept that and watch it for the story unfolding, and want to know what will happen next or at the end, as far as I'm concerned it's worth watching.

This programme seems to be getting more silly as it goes on although I keep watching, what sort of storyline is that why would anyone want to kill President of United States just to save their wife and if you succeeded your wife would live while you spend rest if life in prison seems no point. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    humanracer wrote: »
    The acting could be better. I have seen clips of the Israeli version and the female lead seems much stronger and more central to the plot. I have no idea if the Israeli version follows the same plot as the American show.

The characters are cliched but so is James Bond and most of the thrillers from the 50s and 60s and those were good fun.

I honestly believe that one of main reasons that the show flopped is that there is no clear distinction between the good guys and bad guys. I have read so many reviews from American readers who say "I have no idea whose side I am supposed to be on" or "how can Duncan cuddle his daughter one minute and threaten to kill someone the next" The whole point of the show is that life is not black and white and sometimes good people do bad things for good reasons and vice versa. The ultimate question is does the end justify the means?

I really think Hostages is gripping TV and I much prefer it over the violence and sex ridden dramas that seem to be popular now.

Just my point of view.

This is a good synopsis. If you can accept some weak acting (I find Duncan Carlisle especially wooden) and cliched characters, it's still a decent story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CM wrote: »
    This programme seems to be getting more silly as it goes on although I keep watching, what sort of storyline is that why would anyone want to kill President of United States just to save their wife and if you succeeded your wife would live while you spend rest if life in prison seems no point. :confused:

Ah, but who, if anyone, will get caught?? There are meant to be a lot of people "high up" involved who could potentially cover it all up.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    "Why didn't you take a bullet to save the President's life?"

"I tripped over the pavement."

"OK. Fair enough."

Excellent plan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show is so bad it's good. I am loving the hammy acting and end of scene shocked expressions - from everyone! :o:o Toni Collette is particularly striking and appears to have recently graduated from the Sue-Ellen Ewing school of gurning. It's fab! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they seem to be making it up as they go along. Clearl more than one party wants Kincaid dead but for different reasons. Maybe the bone mrrow bit is just an added bonus.
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just caught up with the last three episodes, it is getting sillier and sillier but like 24 was it is enjoyable silliness.
    yeah, there are many reasons why people want to kill the pres.
    His sister in law because he killed her son (at least I think that was it)
    The military guys to keep the OTI spy program.
    Duncan for his wife's bone marrow.
    others for money.

How did you all get together to form this conspiracy? on a kill the pres chat room?

I hope this is resolved in a single season, and it's not like Prison Break where they are all on the run next year and it gets even sillier...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    I just caught up with the last three episodes, it is getting sillier and sillier but like 24 was it is enjoyable silliness.
    yeah, there are many reasons why people want to kill the pres.
    His sister in law because he killed her son (at least I think that was it)
    The military guys to keep the OTI spy program.
    Duncan for his wife's bone marrow.
    others for money.

How did you all get together to form this conspiracy? on a kill the pres chat room?

I hope this is resolved in a single season, and it's not like Prison Break where they are all on the run next year and it gets even sillier...

The acting is clearly inferior to most other shows but I love how the shows keeps violence to a minimum. I think you can be thrilling without being overly violent.

I don't have the patience to watch season after season so I like one series stories like this.

The plot is implausiable but so were many of the thrillers of 30 odd years ago and of course half of the James Bond fllms.

Everyone has their own motives for wanting to kill the President. The questions is whether these reasons are justified. Is the bone marrow motive more justifable than keeping OTI (which could in theory save lives if you listen to Blair's dogma). Does the President deserve to die regardless of motive because he is a bad man? Should Duncan get away with keeping a family hostage because he is doing it for the greater good?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll clash with season 2 of The Americans in a from next week, so I might give up now.......

Hostages has had its time-slot changed now, did know this a while ago anyway BTW (most likely because of "The Americans" on ITV1).
  • Options
    BLADESMAN1889BLADESMAN1889 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having been on the wrong side of the law myself for most of my adult life I often take the side of the criminal in police shows etc. So I wonder if anyone else hates the husband as much as I do ?

Is it just me or is he meant to be such a slime ball ? I have zero sympathy for him and I make no bones about the fact that if I were Duncan I would have killed him after what he did in tonight's episode [The cost of living]