Options

Has La Roux's latest album bombed?

SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
Forum Member
✭✭
Just seen it's at 77 after only 3 weeks.

Not that I particularly care either way, but there seemed to be quite a bit of fanfare over this one. What happened?

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't recall hearing any hype or seeing promo for the album. Plus unlike her debut, she never had hit singles to carry the album. Her debut was successful because of how well In for the kill and Bulletproof were.

However i had her down as a bit of a novelty act anyway for success of sales and chart peaks and perhaps head into a less mainstream route of music, which is fair enough.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isn't she on her own now too?
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It charted within the top 10 at first which is pretty good for a comeback album after a 5+ year break with no promo and no lead single and little promotion.

Bombing because no-one knows its out there and no carrying single though, probably. Maybe it'll rise again if she gets a promo slot, but she'd probably only take something like Graham or Jools. I can't see her going on Loose Women or This Morning with her style tbh!
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Artists need to learn that the market moves quickly these days and unless you are an established artist you can't leave it that long and expect success.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not like she's a high profile pop star. Her fans seem to like her new album and its had good reviews so how can it be a bomb. why does it matter how many it sold or its chart position after a month of being released. She makes her money from touring and merch.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artists need to learn that the market moves quickly these days and unless you are an established artist you can't leave it that long and expect success.

It wasn't her fault for the long wait. If creative differences had not happened behind the scenes, i think this album would of been out 2 years ago.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    It wasn't her fault for the long wait. If creative differences had not happened behind the scenes, i think this album would of been out 2 years ago.

Which would still have been too long.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    I had no idea she even had an album out yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Dumping her collaborator and taking a long holiday has done her no favours.
  • Options
    Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I had no idea she even had an album out yet.

Exactly. Although given minor promotion it's been nowhere near enough for most of the general population to have any idea she's back.

Also as mentioned, no hit singles on it. It's a shame as I absolutely adored them back in 2009 and hoped they wouldn't join a long list of artists - Mika, Alphabeat, Sam Sparro etc - who have a couple of hits and then vanish, but she seems to have done just that.
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from seeing the new single on the radio 2 playlist ( never heard it ) I have not seen anything of La Roux . No promo at all , so what do you expect ? .
  • Options
    constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a year where Ed Sheeran and Kaiser Chiefs dominate the albums chart, I think it's fair to say commercial success isn't the be all and end all. The bottom line is that the album is accomplished, well-produced and consistent. So it is a success in my eyes.

Plus, if there is any justice in this world she'll get a mercury nomination which tends to boost sales.
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's done well considering the reasons people have listed above IMO.

It's had amazing reviews so hopefully it gets more attention from awards, publications etc.

People need to stop going on about Ben leaving, some of the best songs on the record had nothing to do with him. Including Cruel Sexuality, the most single-friendly song on the album.

I'm still annoyed Let Me Down Gently didn't become a hit though. It's definitely my favourite, plus it sounds like the kind of thing Radio 1 love.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 2 played Uptight Downtown a lot (I get a lift to work and they have Chris Evans on) but the single was played at least six weeks before the album came out. For such artists, I wonder if they should put the album out straight away?

Did other radio stations play it?

It's a shame because the album was evidently well received but couldn't wrestle itself above all the squeaky voiced teens...
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily someone should mention the the Kaiser Chiefs as I happen to like both theirs and La Roux's earlier material.

The Kaiser Chiefs latest album is actually rather good indeed and great fun to listen to. A return to form and deserved to have had a good run in the chart. In particular the closing track Roses is beautiful and one of the best songs of the year IMO. Whereas everything I've heard La Roux's latest album is forgettable and a pale shadow of the first record. Very disappointing after all the critical hype. People keep mentioning Ben because its pretty clear he was the writing talent and now he's gone there's nothing there in the songs anymore.

Totally dumbfounded as to why La Roux is this years critics darling really, but then I stopped paying attention to reviews years ago. Just confirms critics talk b*llocks as per usual. In the internet age it appears all they do is copy and paste reviews off each other.

Sometimes sales actually reflect the truth of whether something is any good or not. Harsh but true.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily someone should mention the the Kaiser Chiefs as I happen to like both theirs and La Roux's earlier material.

The Kaiser Chiefs latest album is actually rather good indeed and great fun to listen to. A return to form and deserved to have had a good run in the chart. In particular the closing track Roses is beautiful and one of the best songs of the year IMO. Whereas everything I've heard La Roux's latest album is forgettable and a pale shadow of the first record. Very disappointing after all the critical hype. People keep mentioning Ben because its pretty clear he was the writing talent and now he's gone there's nothing there in the songs anymore.

Totally dumbfounded as to why La Roux is this years critics darling really, but then I stopped paying attention to reviews years ago. Just confirms critics talk b*llocks as per usual. In the internet age it appears all they do is copy and paste reviews off each other.

Sometimes sales actually reflect the truth of whether something is any good or not. Harsh but true.

Many an X Factor finalist, boy/girl band have proved your last statement to be utterly without foundation. Well hyped, marketed and produceId music sells, irrespective of how talented the actual artists are. Stock, Aitken and Waterman were probably the catalyst of where we are now.

I heard the La Roux single on the radio and immediately liked it - my ears and not my eyes were the judge. Old fashioned but it works for me.