Just got a kinde 3... what to do with it?

scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I just picked up a kindle 3 2nd hand in good nick, Ive never had one before and I can see there are a lot of interesting hacks and things... however being a noob where is the best place to start? Ive downloaded a few free books from the store Dracula etc..
any ideas?

scruffpot

Comments

• jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I would down load a program called calibre - E-book management.

I use this to manage my e-book collection and copy any free books onto the Kindle.

Or sign up to Amazon and buy some books.

There is also web site called BookBub which will send you daily emails of cheap or free books.

The kindle will read mobi format books with out any issues.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for that I'm downloading the software as of now and going to have a look
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Install a "read it later" type extension to your pc browser.

If you come across an interesting article online, but haven't quite got the time to read it, you can send a nicely formatted version to your Kindle, with one click.

Much easier reading long articles on an e-reader than scrolling up and down on a pc screen, in my opinion.

Once you've saved a number of articles, you effectively end up with sort of personalised magazine of short content to read, at your convenience, all nicely formatted.

You might find that you save so many interesting articles, that you haven't got time for actual books! :)

I use "Pocket" on my Kobo, there are alternatives for Kindle, like Instapaper.

http://lifehacker.com/5727813/how-to-send-web-articles-directly-to-your-kindle-via-instapaper
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    on Amazon search free books and you will find hundreds.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ is also free and you can download easily from the site.