Options

House Gift - has there EVER been a flimsier premise for an hour long tv show?

CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
Forum Member
✭✭✭
No - there hasn't.

Comments

• Options
    MuzskiMuzski Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cannot believe this utter drivel gets airtime - quite possibly the worst show ever made!!!!!
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muzski wrote: »
    Cannot believe this utter drivel gets airtime - quite possibly the worst show ever made!!!!!

I know!! And the way Bowen talks to us like the house gift they buy is going to be really important to their lives! :D
  • Options
    John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know!! And the way Bowen talks to us like the house gift they buy is going to be really important to their lives! :D

When I read the name Bowen I thought you meant JIM :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched an episode last week and it was the longest hour of my life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I read the name Bowen I thought you meant JIM :D

Would rather Jim bought a gift for my house anyday rather than that Lewlylln Bowen tosspot! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decky3 wrote: »
    Would rather Jim bought a gift for my house anyday rather than that Lewlylln Bowen tosspot! :rolleyes:

Since the Changing Rooms incident he has become a total berk
  • Options
    johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decky3 wrote: »

I bet it would be a bendy bully! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnson293 wrote: »

Even better! After all, you can't beat a bit a bully.....:D
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    The blonde is nice though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In ten years we'll be asking ourselves whether we dreamed this show, it won't seem possible that it was real.

Aside from the fact it's 30 minutes (at most) dragged over an hour, the faux-rivalry is the most tedious thing about it. LLB really needs to tone down the **** he talks.

Oh, and instead of pretentious people who tend to live in decent homes, can we not have some Jeremy Kyle types on it? I'd love to see LLB try to convince a fat work-shy mother of ten that what her flat really needs to set it off are some Victorian books placed on the mantlepiece.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blonde is nice though.

Very unsusual eyes, but wholly acceptable ;)

http://www.roarglobal.com/_images/clients/danielle-proud.jpg

Seems to have a fly stuck in the corner of her right eye though:eek:
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it for the first time today and actually quite enjoyed it :o

I agree that the premise is quite flimsy... and I can't really articulate why it is that I enjoyed wasting an hour of my life watching it! Perhaps it's Laurence Llewelyn Bowen - I like him :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnson293 wrote: »

It certainly wouldn't be a Boat.........
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How strange, I watched this only a couple of days ago and found it to be quite an enjoyable show for daytime lifestyle(!) (something that is not aimed at me, and something I don't usually watch or get to watch anyway)

I must be strange. :p
  • Options
    FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking on Twitter this show really divides people, some love it and are annoyed when they miss it and some people really dislike it like the OP.

I've have watched it a few times and have grown to like it but can see why people think it is stretched out too long.

The experts seem to know their stuff on all things to do will the history and design of objects and architecture especially Laurence and Tom.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm might as well add me to the sad list lol I love this show although I don't actually like this seasons change with the couple being able to award £100 more.

For those who watch it reguarly what has been your favourite item? Mine has to be the life size bust of Darth Vader with the head of the proper Anakin inside (Sebastian Shaw from the original films)
  • Options
    PerkyPerkinsPerkyPerkins Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    For those who watch it reguarly what has been your favourite item? Mine has to be the life size bust of Darth Vader with the head of the proper Anakin inside (Sebastian Shaw from the original films)

Mine has to be the gorgeous pieces of Stourbridge glass that Lawrence chose for the couple from the same town (which is also my town so I may be biased). I wanted something similar myself, but the three pieces on the show cost £600!
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
    Forum Member
    I'm with the OP. I didn't get into the last series as I thought the premise abysmal - why give apparently well heeled people - more? :confused: And the couple's house yesterday certainly didn't need anymore clutter.
    I'm disappointed that the excellent 'May the best house win' has been replaced by this drivel. :mad:
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love House Gift - maybe I'm just strange! I know it is giving something to people who don't need it and all that, but I like all the design talk, and LLB is a bit like Simon Cowell - you hate to admit it, but he does know what he's talking about.

One thing I'd love to know - are all the gifts out "on approval" as it were - do the two rejects just get taken back to the shop they came from? Also how much is planned in advance - e.g. today we had a shop LLB would have loved to have gone into but it was closed - did he just happen on it? Do the shops all know they are coming or do they seriously just "pop in" on the day?
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine has to be the gorgeous pieces of Stourbridge glass that Lawrence chose for the couple from the same town (which is also my town so I may be biased). I wanted something similar myself, but the three pieces on the show cost £600!

Oh totally agree, gorgeous glass, I absolutely loved them.

And I'm afraid I'm a House Gift lover too - I record it when I'm at work and watch it when I get in :o:D

And there's just something about LLB, he's a pompous ass but I can't help liking him!
  • Options
    TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do quite like this show :o like most posters I think it could be condensed down to 30 mins but then what would they put on to fill the next 30 min slot although I suppose they could do double episodes.

My main problem is again that it always those that seem to be better off I would love to have lots of nice things like that but know they will pretty much always be out of reach short of winning the lottery and it would be nice to see people who are more deserving get the chance to get something for their house. Only other thing I would like from it is for the gifts to be more practical. Some of the gifts have been totally pointless and I'm going to show my complete ignorance as I can't remember the name of the designer :o but that silly little couch that was the model of a bigger actual piece of furniture and just fitted a doll what was the point of that and think that was the one they kept:eek: I think that may have been the episode that also had the bust of Darth Vader either that or they have all merged into one.

That said there are better and worse shows on in the afternoons and for me its preferable to the endless repeats of Dickinsons Real Deal:mad:
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show gives flimsy a bad name. I'm not sure what's worse, the fake competition between the givers or the naked greed of the recipients. I've only watched it all the way through once and I've been feeling guilty about that ever since. It's an afront to good taste. But then LLB is the personification of bad taste, so no surprises there.

The only thing I can say in it's defence is that it can't match the sheer awfullness of Dickinson's Real Deal which follows it. I know it's only daytime TV, but isn't there a law against torture? Who needs waterboarding when you have ITV daytime schedules.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I propose a new hour long show for afternoons on ITV1 - ''What shall we have for tea'' - 4 people are given a fiver each, go shopping for beans, chips etc and see who can come up with the cheapest.

It can't be any worse than the pathetic House Gift - or the one where four people show their homes and then vote on the one they like best.
  • Options
    snorksnork Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - there hasn't.

What about opening 26 boxes in random order for an hour????
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly - completely with you on that one, snork. :yawn: