Options

Upsetting Kat spoiler - EastEnders

Gingerbread'Gingerbread' Posts: 192
Forum Member
The BBC had a press screening yesterday of New Years Eve, New Years Day and the following episode there after. It seems all the critics going off their Twitter pages were deeply effected by what they saw but all agree it is very well done

This one is a good read.

http://twitter.com/susehill

Also we have a really big spoiler
Kat is given the baby to hold at the hospital and straight away screams it isn't her child and wants her son. The nurses put it down to grief and don't listen to her as they have no reason to suspect anything. :( So Kat's cries go unheard.

This is going to be so hard to watch but so aditictive at the same time me thinks.

Comments

• Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read an article in The Sun how we will see the dead baby full on....:cry:

It makes me sad thinking about it...

Viewers see a close-up of her holding the blue baby's frozen fist and brushing its lifeless face with the back of her hand.

They will also see Kat Moon (Jessie Wallace) rushed to hospital in blood-soaked pyjamas after husband Alfie (Shane Richie) finds her haemorrhaging in her bed.
    EVEN by the grisly standards of EastEnders' usual festive output, this plot is incredibly bleak and grim.

There's a place in soaps to tackle the serious issue of cot death. But Bryan Kirkwood has gone in with all the subtlety of a bulldozer and forgotten his family audience.

Scenes seem designed to cause maximum upset, with camera angles maximising the horror - all in high definition.

Alfie Moon dancing the conga isn't enough to dispel the haunting image of a dead baby's fist.
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    Jesus.
    Don't think I'll be watching. That sounds horrific.
  • Options
    Carol.WCarol.W Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I was there! It is the most shocking thing I have ever seen. I can't actually explain it. The way it has been done is almost as if we are directly in the same room as the characters. It is so disturbing yet at the same time there is a sort of beauty about it. It's not for the faint hearted and if you are easily offended you should not watch. Jessie is just nothing sort of outstanding while those worried about Ronnie shouldn't be. She appears to have gone completely insane. It's so chilling how she does it. You see her mind has gone the second she walks into the bedroom. I had no idea Samantha was such a good actress. I think they will win a BAFTA for it but I bet the complaints are in their thousands unless the BBC issue a massive warning before the episode airs.

Also it was only the two episodes we were played.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG. Sounds like uncomfortable TV.

I will be watching nevertheless but I understand if others don't want to.

It will be upsetting TV and it will be hard to watch.

I have no doubt that Jessie and Sam will be nothing short of amazing.
  • Options
    Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only watching it for Kat. Can't stand ronnie so hopefully this storyline (as long as it may be) will bring her exit about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    wow. sounds awful :cry: be harrowing to watch.

but tbh, im glad about the bit in spoiler tags.....makes it so much more believeable. :(
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    It sounds really horrible, poor Kat :(
  • Options
    dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote:
    EVEN by the grisly standards of EastEnders' usual festive output, this plot is incredibly bleak and grim.

There's a place in soaps to tackle the serious issue of cot death. But Bryan Kirkwood has gone in with all the subtlety of a bulldozer and forgotten his family audience.

Scenes seem designed to cause maximum upset, with camera angles maximising the horror - all in high definition.

Alfie Moon dancing the conga isn't enough to dispel the haunting image of a dead baby's fist

Jesus if this episode isnt bad enough we have bloody Alfie Moon dancing the conga. Dont think I will watch that episode. From reading the quote it sounds like it is going to sensationalist just for the sake of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dubgaz wrote: »
    Quote:

Alfie Moon dancing the conga isn't enough to dispel the haunting image of a dead baby's fist

Jesus if this episode isnt bad enough we have bloody Alfie Moon dancing the conga. Dont think I will watch that episode. From reading the quote it sounds like it is going to sensationalist just for the sake of it.

Of course Alfie is going to be in it, tis his baby, well sort of lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dubgaz wrote: »
    Quote:

That quote is from The Sun, isn't it? I'd usually take their opinion with a large enough pinch of salt to believe the opposite of whatever they write.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marvola45 wrote: »
    o believe the opposite of whatever they write.

In which case you'd expect the episodes to be funny and uplifting?
  • Options
    GlinnyGlinny Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will not be watching as I lost my son at two days old, It was harrowing so the thought of having to sit through a soap opera watching by the sounds of it really distressing scenes at New Year is not for me.

I understand that that soaps do touch on sensitive subjects but to show such graphic scenes in my opinion is not necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glinny wrote: »
    I will not be watching as I lost my son at two days old, It was harrowing so the thought of having to sit through a soap opera watching by the sounds of it really distressing scenes at New Year is not for me.

I understand that that soaps do touch on sensitive subjects but to show such graphic scenes in my opinion is not necessary.

I agree. There's no reason why they can't be subtle and just suggest what's happened. Why they have to blatantly show certain scenes is beyond me. Sensational to the extreme.

Very sorry to hear of what you went through. x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glinny wrote: »

Awwww, I'm sorry to hear that :( that's understandable you don't want to watch.
  • Options
    molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be sad but it's going to be true isn't it? I think this will be good for Eastenders and also no doubt get some ofcom complaints.

I think one soap had to tackle it, and EE have. Plus Jessie & Sam are briliant actresses, it's going to be really heartbreaking though :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molybecks wrote: »

I think one soap had to tackle it, and EE have. Plus Jessie & Sam are briliant actresses, it's going to be really heartbreaking though :(

Why did one soap 'have to' tackle a mother stealing a baby and replacing it with a corpse? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds awful really i hope its done well like baby grace in hollyoaks.... dont really get why we have to have a baby swap storyline its awful ... surely if kat realises its not her baby she will instantly realises ronnies baby is hers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: It sounds like BK really is doing everything he can to make this absolutely HUGE. I'm abit worried that he may spark a massive uproar though?

I'll still be watching it as Jessie and Sam as part of a main storyline together will be outstanding. I think Jessie will put herself right back on the map and remind us why she was popular in her first stint. Sam will even outdo herself and top her 2009 acting throughout the Danielle reveal I think.

It will be awful and I do understand those with similar experiences who don't want anything to do with it.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezkent wrote: »
    It sounds awful really i hope its done well like baby grace in hollyoaks.... dont really get why we have to have a baby swap storyline its awful ... surely if kat realises its not her baby she will instantly realises ronnies baby is hers?

Kat won't want to be around another baby immediately. I know her and Ronnie become friendlier, I'm taking it that is a few weeks further down the line, by which time her baby would have changed a bit. At that age, babies are changing all the time and its more noticeable if you don't see the baby on a daily basis.
  • Options
    JJAMUFCJJAMUFC Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even think I will bother watching, it sounds too grim and upsetting. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    EastEnders are really brave to be doing this. I've had mixed opinions about this storyline, but it looks fantastic. I think it'll be something everyone remembers in years time :)
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    sounds so sad but EE will do this storyline Justice no soap can do these storylines like EE does imo.

it will be upsetting viewing.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can a mother/father not be able to tell how their baby looks like? Wouldn't they have taken photo's straight away. And if Kat is saying its not my baby - wouldn't she get a dna test done privately.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I love EE, I feel that this whole storyline is one giant step too far. There is a reason that this kind of storyline has never been done before: because no-one wants to see this kind of despair and misery.

Especially at a festive period, when many people would have suffered horrible Christmases, they are showing this disaster and horror on family television for all to see.

Its just too much....:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can a mother/father not be able to tell how their baby looks like? Wouldn't they have taken photo's straight away. And if Kat is saying its not my baby - wouldn't she get a dna test done privately.

This is the issue that keeps cropping up but I guess we'll have to just wait and see how it's done. From what I gather, Alfie and Kat barely see the baby as Kat spends the whole time in hospital. Alfie doesn't seem to notice:confused: but then he's not the "real" dad and I assume the baby will look different after it's died:confused: We then have Kat saying it's not her baby but they convince her she's in shock/denial :(. That leaves Charlie who was meant to be actually looking after the baby. Surely he would have taken in everything about he's grandson:confused:

Then there's Ronnie who obviously knows the babys different and wants to keep it hidden inititally so it has the chance to "change" then there's jack who only sees the baby for the first time after the swap