Series 8 maybe the best series so far (of New Who anyway)

James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
Forum Member
So far to me series 8 has had the most constant excellent episodes it's only really "Robots Of Sherwood" I didn't like to much but even that was good.

I usually only think 1 maybe 2 episodes per series could be called excellent with a few goods a few averages and maybe one bad/poor but this year most of them are truly excellent.

Comments

• Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the final three episodes can build on what's come before, it's certainly possible.

It's been an extraordinarily consistent series, IMHO there's not been a single bad episode, which in itself is a miracle. I still think I enjoyed Series 5 and 7 more but this series is breathing down their necks and the character development, coupled with the astonishing chemistry between Peter and Jenna has kept it alive.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been in my opinion NO poor or average episodes so far, all good and above :) Very consistent indeed :)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still prefer Series 5, but Series 8 is certainly better than Series 6 or 7... overall at least. Series 6 has some of my favourite episodes ever made, but the series as a whole was a mess. It's a similar story with Series 7: some individually good stories, but a mess overall.

Series 8 has been incredibly consistent, but more importantly the story arc seems to be developing nicely and the series so far has made sense as a whole.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    For me it is up there with series 4, I have already watched tonights episode twice, that never happened when we got to series 5 and onwards, in fact, most of them I never watched again.

I have fallen in love with 12 and with series 8.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    All I'm prepared to say so far is it's much better than the first four...and still will be even if the last three episodes are clunkers. ;-)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    For me it is up there with series 4, I have already watched tonights episode twice, that never happened when we got to series 5 and onwards, in fact, most of them I never watched again.

I have fallen in love with 12 and with series 8.

Was about to be my answer, exactly. I daresay Series 8 is the Moffat series I expected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 8 has delivered excellent episode after excellen episode....I adore everything about it.

Definitely my favourite since series 5 :-) 9 excellent standard episodes in a row is unheard of! Hope the next three continue pace...what I have read about the two part finale sounds just beautifully amazing! So yeah...I have faith....which only leaves me to hop that series 9 onwards keeps to this high standard.

Capaldi and Coleman are a dream team, the consistently imaginative new creatures/threats have been fantastic to see....plus of course we have two signature beasts on both ends of the series...Daleks in episode 2 and Cybermen in 11 and 12.....a perfect blend of menace, threat, pace and humour!

I would rank the series to date like these...

Series 8
    Series 5
    Series 6
    Series 7
    Series 1
    Series 4
    Series 3
    Series 2
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best Moffat series by an incredibly long way. Ranks up there with 1 and 3. Still quite a bit off 4 though.
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    I'm loving this series. I think it's the best Moffat series of DW by miles, and overall the best since Series 4. Capaldi and Coleman are stunning together. The only episode I haven't ranked as excellent is Time Heist, and it's still very good.
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't enjoyed a series this much since series three. It's been on top form. I've only felt 'meh' about one episode and I've loved every other.
    Big yay for Doctor Who at the moment. Moffat's done himself proud with this run.
  • bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most disappointing for me so far and the ratings suggest that at least some others share that view. I sort of imagined Peter Capaldi would be like a new Tom Baker in terms of the popular impact but he clearly isn't that.

Enjoyed Orient Express last week. But it was back to the unappealing mixture of high concept silliness and Doctorly miserablism again this week.
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm liking this series a lot now. I must admit, my interest very nearly wained (it was during Listen) but I'm glad I stuck with it because the show has gone from strength to strength - no matter what the numpties who go in about falling ratings say.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bokonon wrote: »
    Most disappointing for me so far and the ratings suggest that at least some others share that view.

That old card :) Never judge a series by it's peaks and troughs. You never know what you're going to end up with.
    9.22m - Rise of the Cybermen
    9.17m - Deep Breath
    9.14m - Partners in Crime
    9.04m - The Fires of Pompeii
    6.44m - The Lodger
    6.32m - The Impossible Planet
    6.27m - Silence in the Library
    6.08m - The Satan Pit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 8 is brilliant so far. If the last three episodes will be so good, series 8 will be the best season. And I believe they will be because they look really promising.

My ratings so far:

Series 5 and 8 (depends on the last three episodes)
    Series 7B
    Series 3
    -
    Series 4
    Series 6 and 2009 specials
    Series 1
    -
    Series 7A
    -
    -
    Series 2
  • bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    That old card :) Never judge a series by it's peaks and troughs. You never know what you're going to end up with.

Oh absolutely- some terrible episodes get good ratings and some good episodes get terrible ratings. What matters is that the show is popular, people enjoy what they seen and the Doctor is an interesting and resonant figure in the cultural landscape.

Now that only around 1 in 5 people watching TV on a Saturday night are watching the programme it is difficult to avoid the impression that it is starting to fade somewhat. Aside from the statistics my general impression is that Capaldi as the Doctor is not making much of an impact and that this tendency is particularly true for a younger audience.

And a note to builders of straw men: this is not me saying nobody is watching/it is about to be cancelled/the ratings are falling off a cliff.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 8 has been superb IMO, and has shown up just how bad seasons 5-7 were.

It took Moffat a while but he's finally hit his stride as showrunner.

It's still not quite up to season 4 standards yet, but if it finishes as strongly as it has been over the last few weeks then it will be right up there IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    WelshNige wrote: »
    Season 8 has been superb IMO, and has shown up just how bad seasons 5-7 were.

It took Moffat a while but he's finally hit his stride as showrunner.

It's still not quite up to season 4 standards yet, but if it finishes as strongly as it has been over the last few weeks then it will be right up there IMO.
    Let's see......nope, can't. I tried but it's beyond parody. :p
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't enjoyed episodes like the caretaker, kill the moon and robots of sherwood and a few average ones, deep breath and time heist and all the rest of them I have really enjoyed. Not the best series but I've enjoyed it the most since series 4.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mboon wrote: »
    Let's see......nope, can't. I tried but it's beyond parody. :p

Sorry I don't understand the point you're trying to make....
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed it's the series I've enjoyed most since #4. The episodes are great and engaging there's no timey wimey BS and Clara has found her feet as a companion.
  • saturns ringssaturns rings Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I think Season 9 will be great if we can get strong scripts. Peter will have one season under his belt and will really be able to take the Doctor forward
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It most definitely has been the very best series of Doctor Who I can ever remember, and Capaldi is, for me, definitely the very best Doctor since Tom Baker - in fact he easily equals him for me so far.

Everyone's different so if you disagree, fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bokonon wrote: »
    Oh absolutely- some terrible episodes get good ratings and some good episodes get terrible ratings. What matters is that the show is popular, people enjoy what they seen and the Doctor is an interesting and resonant figure in the cultural landscape.

Now that only around 1 in 5 people watching TV on a Saturday night are watching the programme it is difficult to avoid the impression that it is starting to fade somewhat. Aside from the statistics my general impression is that Capaldi as the Doctor is not making much of an impact and that this tendency is particularly true for a younger audience.

And a note to builders of straw men: this is not me saying nobody is watching/it is about to be cancelled/the ratings are falling off a cliff.

So what *are* you saying then?
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's up there with 1 and 5 for me. All of them had new Doctors who clicked with me straight away and I love them. There are superb episodes in all the other series but those were something else and this one looks like being the same.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Ok this week wasn't that good but after all the excellent episodes they have given us this year I'm willing to let it slide everybody is allowed a mistake