Options

The Great Cover Versions Thread

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JarseHugh Jarse Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    MrKev wrote:
    I would say that is one of the WORST cover versions ever because it is essentially a cover of a cover.

Scottish band 'Gun' did a rock reworking of Word Up in 1994 and it was amazingly good.

Korn's version is seriously nigh on exactly the same as Gun's - only not as good.

Not heard Korn's one, but bet it's not as bad as Mel B's.
    Gun's version did truly rock though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona Apple's version of "Across The Universe" is crackin'

Anybody know what ever happened to Fiona Apple?

Also...
    Just heard the Justin Hawkins' new single "this town isn't big enough for the both of us" (cover Sparkz). Pretty cool cover as his voice is perfect.
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blowin' in the wind - Sam Cooke (have no idea who this was orignally by but I know its a cover)
    Greatest Love of all - Whitney Houston
    I'll be missing you - Puff Daddy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    MrKev wrote:
    I would say that is one of the WORST cover versions ever because it is essentially a cover of a cover.

Scottish band 'Gun' did a rock reworking of Word Up in 1994 and it was amazingly good.

Korn's version is seriously nigh on exactly the same as Gun's - only not as good.

Was just reading through this thread about to post about the Gun record because I thought nobody would remember it.

Seems I was wrong. They were not really my type of band but that cover of word up was good.
  • Options
    mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    georgefox1 wrote:
    metallica - whiskey in the jar (thin lizzy)

Also from the Garage Inc album, I'd add Turn the Page (Bob Segar) and Loverman (Nick Cave). James Hetfield's voice is perfect for Loverman - the Nick Cave version sounds awful in comparison!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Well if we are talking Pink Floyd, then Dub Side of the Moon is a great cover.

Then of course there is Jefferson Airplanes covers of White Rabbit and Somebody to Love (The Great Society)
  • Options
    RatinhoRatinho Posts: 5,129
    Forum Member
    And whoever called SS a novelty act, I guess you just don't know their history or anything. But I don't think they set out to be a novelty act, I think they class themselves as a proper band playing their own instruments and all of that..

But anyway, i'm sorry, I just have a tendency to defend them because I love their music and am a very loyal fan. A bit of a fanatic if you will.

Erm, I wasn't suggesting they set out to be a novelty act, but that doesn't change my opinion that they are. They'll be remembered with the greats though, right up there with Black Lace.

However, like I said in the a'scrobbler thread, no issue with you defending or loving them, it's all taste and opinions. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    NathalieR wrote:
    Blowin' in the wind - Sam Cooke (have no idea who this was orignally by but I know its a cover)
    Greatest Love of all - Whitney Houston
    I'll be missing you - Puff Daddy

blowin in the wind is bob dylan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    muse: feeling good, cant take my eyes off you, house of the rising sun.

korn: another brick in the wall

HIM: wicked game

divine comedy: no one knows

faith no more: war pigs

metallica: stone cold crazy
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with quite a few already stated -

Radiohead - Nobody Does It Better
    Johnny Cash - Hurt
    Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love
    Muse - Feeling Good

I'd also add:

God Machine - All My Colours (Echo and the Bunnymen song)
    Carter USM - Another Brick In the Wall
    Jesus and Mary Chain - Surfin' USA
    This Mortal Coil - Song To the Siren (orig. Tim Buckley)
    This Mortal Coil - Till I Gain Control Again (orig. Emmylou Harris)

and I'd love to hear Justin Hawkins doing This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radiohead - Nobody Does It Better
    Muse - Feeling Good

Yes, yes, f**king yes! :)

And i'd like to hear Justin Hawkins choke on his own vomit, so here's hoping for at least one of these, yeah? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ratinho wrote:
    Erm, I wasn't suggesting they set out to be a novelty act, but that doesn't change my opinion that they are. They'll be remembered with the greats though, right up there with Black Lace.

However, like I said in the a'scrobbler thread, no issue with you defending or loving them, it's all taste and opinions. :)

If its all tastes and opinions, why do you insist on dragging every thread you post in down to a slanging match because other people like different music to you? :yawn:

You're obviously much better educated and like far superior music (in your taste and opinion) than everybody on DS. :rolleyes:

But to continue the thread, The Pixies did a great version of The Jesus and Mary Chain's Head On. :)
  • Options
    tonbangerattytonbangeratty Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrKev wrote:

Yeah right.

Like, it's Korn we're talking about here, not some Scottish pub band over 10 years ago.

When I was at uni my mate's band did a cover of Dancing Queen, which was, like, brilliant - so much better than the Sugarcubes or U2's version.

But nobody cares.

:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "I'm Your Fan" (Tribute to Leonard Cohen)

Can't say they're all 'great' covers (especially Nick Cave) but there is some good stuff on here

First We Take Manhattan - R.E.M.
    Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye - Ian McCulloch
    I Can't Forget - Pixies
    Stories of the Street - That Petrol Emotion
    Bird on a Wire - The Lilac Time
    Suzanne - Geoffrey Oryema
    So Long, Marianne - James
    Avalanche IV - Jean-Louis Murat
    Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On - David McComb
    Who by Fire - The House of Love
    Chelsea Hotel - Lloyd Cole
    Tower of Song - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
    Take This Longing - Peter Astor
    True Love Leaves No Traces - Dead Famous People
    I'm Your Man - Bill Pritchard
    Singer Must Die - Fatima Mansions
    Tower of Song - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
    Hallelujah - John Cale
  • Options
    Peter30Peter30 Posts: 5,848
    Forum Member
    BEST:
    Agnetha Faltskog - What now my love
    Jamie Cullum - Everlasting love
    Tori Amos - Smells like teen spirit
    Various Artists for Children in need - Perfect day

WORST:
    Pete Waterman's Abba medley (Billie Piper, Steps etc)
    Jessica Simpson - Angels
    Five - We will rock you
    Busted - Teenage kicks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah right.

Like, it's Korn we're talking about here, not some Scottish pub band 10 years ago.

When I was at uni my mate's band did a cover of Dancing Queen, which was, like, brilliant - so much better than the Sugarcubes or U2's version.

But nobody cares.

:cry:

You are quite right, if I remember correctly, Gun were a 2 bit rock band but their version of Word Up was very good and did make the top 20. :)

Suppose its all down to being in the right place at the right time! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i forgot about yngwie j malmstreens version of abbas gimme gimme gimme
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    georgefox1 wrote:
    i forgot about yngwie j malmstreens version of abbas gimme gimme gimme

What about the Inspiration album with covers of Kansas, Rush & Deep Purple songs? I've only heard the Rush cover - which I love, but the reviews of the rest seem fine - any opinions?

Carry on wayward son - Kansas
    Pictures of home - Deep Purple
    Gates of Babylon - Rainbow
    Manic depression - Jimi Hendrix
    In the dead of night - ???
    Mistreated - Deep Purple
    Sails of Charon - Scorpions
    Demon's eye - Deep Purple
    Anthem - Rush
    Child in time - Deep Purple
    Spanish castle magic - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If its all tastes and opinions, why do you insist on dragging every thread you post in down to a slanging match because other people like different music to you? :yawn:

You're obviously much better educated and like far superior music (in your taste and opinion) than everybody on DS. :rolleyes:

Y'know, i'm looking for the slanging match, but...... :rolleyes:

But well deduced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cardigans - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Damien Rice - Creep
    Kathryn Wiiliams - Hallelujah
    Kathryn Williams - In A Broken Dream (Python Lee Jackson aka Rod Stewart)

Interested to see the post re Inspirations album - some classics there and will have to look out for that. As a long standing Scorps fan especially intrigued to see Sails of Charon on the list (thank christ it's not that godawful Wind Of Change!) especially given that it was released long before they achieved any maintream success.
  • Options
    keli77keli77 Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ok, ok. I should've just kept my big mouth shut. But this was a threwad for good covers and hate it, that in every covers thread, good or bad, there is some pissed off Pink Floyd fan complaining about that cover. We all get the point! Pink Floyd fans hate the cover, I think everybody knows that now.

And whoever called SS a novelty act, I guess you just don't know their history or anything. But I don't think they set out to be a novelty act, I think they class themselves as a proper band playing their own instruments and all of that..

But anyway, i'm sorry, I just have a tendency to defend them because I love their music and am a very loyal fan. A bit of a fanatic if you will.

I'm with you here Scissor*Sister, I am also a devoted fan of the band! I actually find the who Pink Floyd thing quite funny now, would have found it hysterical if SS had joined Pink Floyd on stage at Live 8, would have brightened up their (In My Opinion!) dull performance! & before everyone jumps on my case about pink Floyd, I am just saying i didnt enjoy their performance, just giving my opinion!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keli77 wrote:
    I'm with you here Scissor*Sister, I am also a devoted fan of the band! I actually find the who Pink Floyd thing quite funny now, would have found it hysterical if SS had joined Pink Floyd on stage at Live 8, would have brightened up their (In My Opinion!) dull performance! & before everyone jumps on my case about pink Floyd, I am just saying i didnt enjoy their performance, just giving my opinion!!!

You're totally right, but you're going to get slaughtered by Pink Floyd fans.

I've heard a few people say they prefer the SS version of Comfortbly Numb again to be verbally attacked by Pink Floyd fans. It's only opinion. I guess the SS version is more lively than Pink Floyd's and I prefer it but that's just my opinions.

I also think it's incredably harsh to compare them to Black Lace.

Ok, some of heir music is fun but music is so serious these days and sometimes you need something you can dance to and have a laugh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also think it's incredably harsh to compare them to Black Lace.

;)

Just don't get it at all, and maybe that's my own problem, but I have listened to their stuff, and I think they are ok. Definitely listenable ( Hmmm??), but that doesn't change my oopinion they are a novelty act.

Wouldn't count it as good dance music though. :confused:
  • Options
    girojimgirojim Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always on my mind - Pet shop boys
    rent - Carter USM

the worst is East 17 - West end girls
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rzappa wrote:
    What about the Inspiration album with covers of Kansas, Rush & Deep Purple songs? I've only heard the Rush cover - which I love, but the reviews of the rest seem fine - any opinions?

Carry on wayward son - Kansas
    Pictures of home - Deep Purple
    Gates of Babylon - Rainbow
    Manic depression - Jimi Hendrix
    In the dead of night - ???
    Mistreated - Deep Purple
    Sails of Charon - Scorpions
    Demon's eye - Deep Purple
    Anthem - Rush
    Child in time - Deep Purple
    Spanish castle magic - Jimi Hendrix

album sounds good but i don't know it sorry.