Options

More decorating advice please

sybilvimessybilvimes Posts: 581
Forum Member
✭✭
Got great advice re painting so thought I'd bring my latest problem here. I have pvc windows and there is plastic beading down each side. Some of the excess adhesive was not cleaned off properly and it has now turned brown. Not a good look!

Tried scraping it but am afraid of damaging window frame. Is there anything that will soften or remove it?

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the sealant protruding against the wall or back against the upvc?

Personally, id get a new Stanley blade and carefully scrape in small movements. If it against the wall then same blade and just gently cut. It will take very little effort with a new blade.

You could also try with a synthetic scourer and just rub it away lightly.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

There are several solutions, each has it's own risk.

You could use heat to soften the glue, BE VERY CAREFUL, and a scraper, plastic preferably, apply heat, remove, scrape, use some WD40.

The least risky is to use very fine wet& dry and a gel or cream cleaner,

There are solvents but you are dealing with UPVC.

Whatever method you use you might flatten the bead finish but a tin of Brasso or Duraglit to buff should resolve that and is overall a good cleaner for UPVC.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the same issue and currently decorating, I am using a green scoured, slightly damp with sugar soap, to rub it off, takes blooming ages but it works.

You can get a paste that dissolves the sealant round the bath, messy but that works too. I found it in Home base, beside the bath seal stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paralax wrote: »
    I have the same issue and currently decorating, I am using a green scoured, slightly damp with sugar soap, to rub it off, takes blooming ages but it works.

You can get a paste that dissolves the sealant round the bath, messy but that works too. I found it in Home base, beside the bath seal stuff.
    Hi,

Really! for hard glue, I must remember that. :)
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »

Whatever method you use you might flatten the bead finish but a tin of Brasso or Duraglit to buff should resolve that and is overall a good cleaner for UPVC.

I thought they had abrasive qualities??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they had abrasive qualities??

They do but they're good at removing the very top layer of grime and dirt and then buff.

I have used this method on minor scratches on acrylic baths/sinks and plastic, it works--sometimes and comes up a treat.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    They do but they're good at removing the very top layer of grime and dirt and then buff.

I have used this method on minor scratches on acrylic baths/sinks and plastic, it works--sometimes and comes up a treat.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Is the sealant protruding against the wall or back against the upvc?

Personally, id get a new Stanley blade and carefully scrape in small movements. If it against the wall then same blade and just gently cut. It will take very little effort with a new blade.

You could also try with a synthetic scourer and just rub it away lightly.

It's on the upvc and it's gone a dark brown colour. It looks a bit like glass but is really tough. I used a new art scalpel but it wasn't easy and I was afraid of cutting into the upvc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. Was going to do this individually but will take ages. Going to try that sealant dissolving stuff. Used it round a shower basin once but didn't think of it for glue. Again thanks for all the suggestions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Please come back and let us know if that works---it may be that Paralax mis-read your post and thinks is sealant your dealing with and not glue.

On the other hand it would be a great solution to this issue if it works.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just back to report. Success! That silicone dissolving stuff worked. I found it very messy using the tube with a gun so put it on with a brush. Used a sharp scalpel to scrape it off without damaging upvc.

D.S. advice is amazing. Sometimes it's hard to tell if the OP is serious. Even if they are the thread can evolve into farce/satire, depending on your point of view, but there's a fount of knowledge here to be tapped for practical stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sybilvimes wrote: »
    I'm just back to report. Success! That silicone dissolving stuff worked. I found it very messy using the tube with a gun so put it on with a brush. Used a sharp scalpel to scrape it off without damaging upvc.

D.S. advice is amazing. Sometimes it's hard to tell if the OP is serious. Even if they are the thread can evolve into farce/satire, depending on your point of view, but there's a fount of knowledge here to be tapped for practical stuff.

That's great news, well done Paralax for that solution, hope such an issue come across my way again soon.

BTW the sealant softener comes in a bottle as a brush on.

Gosh you learn something new everyday. :)