Options

Urgent advice, mother & partner caught up in Malta time share type scam

2»

Comments

• Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Andy888 wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest they at least look into seeing how much it would cost to see a Maltese solicitor to get it validated and maybe voided using such a local solicitor to lodge a cancellation locally under the 14 day cooling off period or wherever. As said, using a local solicitor whilst there could be very worth while long term and help trump any such future action sueing by the company and help prevent a claim notice wasn't given inside 14 days to claim thousands.

Interesting info, my mum suggests there is but the single contract than 2 separate contracts. In which case if a 15 years contract then legally they can't take any monies, even a deposit inside 14 days anyway for these schemes!. So if they have already took monies, £800 odd out, legal fraud under European law. But a single contract for 15 years, well if no cancellation in those 14 days, well they could legally be liable for the next £8000!.

Thats a good statement from someone you described as vulnerable a few posts ago
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm calling this a fake
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the chargeback thing, I tried to do that once when I was forced to pay to unclamp my car. Money by menaces (in the days when claimping was legal). I had no choice, they held my car hostage. However the CC company refused to do it.

How come?
  • Options
    Andy888Andy888 Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    Thats a good statement from someone you described as vulnerable a few posts ago

No, not at all, the term vulnerable as in meaning these scammers tend to focus their attention on the more elderly holiday makers and concentrate often aggressively on them as far as the hard sell goes. What my mum said as a single contract is more a single signature only was asked for (for which it was her partner that signed and not my mother herself)
    codeblue wrote: »
    I'm calling this a fake

You can call it anything you want at barring photographic proof im yet unable to offer you there is noting else I can offer to prove or convince you otherwise I'm guessing.

But also as part of the contract it seems as well as the £800 deposit and then £7000 odd additional payments over 15 years there is also an annual £315 odd service charge. Bringing the total 15 year liable contract to the region of £12500
  • Options
    Lil MunchkinLil Munchkin Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP there's something not quite right about all this business regarding Malta, you have started two threads in the space of days, one about medication, and one about timeshares scams. This seems to have been an ill-fated holiday what with one thing and another. The worrying thing is that packing medication is usually a key thing, it was overlooked.... Then having seemed to remedy one crisis, they seem to have stumbled head first in to another.

In some posts you seem to be having lengthy conversations with your Mother, who seems to be clued up to the hilt on this situation, and then vulnerable due to age. The two statements seem to conflict somewhat. These scams relating to timeshares are as old as the hills. If your parents are prone to getting in to situations such as these, then they ought to be monitored, and probably advised not to take cards, or information that gives them and others access to vast amounts of cash. If they haven't got it, they cant spend it or get into situations such as this, and others cannot exploit them.

I don't know the truth in all this, but it's very odd to say the least. I hope it all comes good though for them should it be true. Take care
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    No, not at all, the term vulnerable as in meaning these scammers tend to focus their attention on the more elderly holiday makers and concentrate often aggressively on them as far as the hard sell goes. What my mum said as a single contract is more a single signature only was asked for (for which it was her partner that signed and not my mother herself)

You can call it anything you want at barring photographic proof im yet unable to offer you there is noting else I can offer to prove or convince you otherwise I'm guessing.

But also as part of the contract it seems as well as the £800 deposit and then £7000 odd additional payments over 15 years there is also an annual £315 odd service charge. Bringing the total 15 year liable contract to the region of £12500

60s are now classed as elderly?
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am out
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    On the chargeback thing, I tried to do that once when I was forced to pay to unclamp my car. Money by menaces (in the days when claimping was legal). I had no choice, they held my car hostage. However the CC company refused to do it.

How come?
    You said it yourself. It was legal. You authorised the transaction, they released your car.
  • Options
    nigelb1972nigelb1972 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    We've just been approached by these guys and had a 2 hour tour and talk about the hotel and the facilities etc. Now if the chap who showed us around and did the initial presentation, we'd have probably bought from him. His boss came out and was very pushy and arrogant. When I gave a firm no and said that I'm not agreeing anything now he became quite rude and stomped off. We took our €30 cash, necklace and perfume and went for lunch with the cash.
    The scheme actually seems attractive but is let down by shady sales practices. All I can say is that Sean aka the knobhead talked Mike who was a lovely welsh chap out of a sale. If they tidied up their sales approach, they may actually be on to a winner but as long as Sean is involved, it's a no no...
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Seriously ? They are only in their 60's and first they go off without vital medication and then get scammed by crooks ? They really really should be a bit more alert when traveling

Can’t find the bit about vital medication, was that on another thread?
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    edited 12/08/20 - 14:07 #37
    Tellystar wrote: »

The thread is a necro thread, but https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2173990/anyone-know-if-metformin-can-be-obtained-in-malta#latest .
  • Options
    Laurel1neLaurel1ne Posts: 15,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The payment looks to have been made with a debit (visa?) card. My mother and her partner say what they signed had sections added to it afterwards that had different conditions added to it that was never part of the original contract. In either case there is and can probably be proved by the companies history they act fraudulently. Further more, it seems the Maltese authorities are aware of this scam yet have does nothing to stop this. My mother and partner have also said they were supplied with multiple drinks prior to and during the extended presentation. In other words in my thinking, there may well perhaps be legal scope to claim they were not of sound mind to agree to such a commitment and were deliberately intoxicated to be taken advantage of?.

Reading the charge back regulations seems like it's going to be a nightmare. Depends on if or how it can be proved fraudulent transaction took place on grounds on a sold service on false representation in the first instance?.

But interestingly, even if charge back gets rejected in the early days there look to be higher chances getting it later on. As with things like contract when there is an open dated contract or there is no specific delivery or service date. In which case when trying to book this almost non existent holiday and it can't be provided as stated in a reasonable as sold provision then there may well be a stronger legal charge back claim.

As for a Maltese court judgement getting enforced here, would be interesting to see how the case would proceed in court in Malta or here if things ever went that far if charge back is successful. As how they could claim to be an above board honest company when the authorities are fully aware of them and there con against any filed defence?. But don't know how the laws work with these things in Malta. I mean, surely if as I suspect based on last night's research the initial contract is only for 363 or so days it can be seen as fraudulent action and activity. As what legal or any reason beyond money extraction under false representation would any genuine or honest company care to give for having an initial odd 363 day contract that's not covered by a legal Europe wide 14 day cooling off period where something dated 2 days longer would afford that protection?

Surely your mother/partner have a copy of the original contract and can prove that those bits added were not part of the contract they signed ?
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    edited 12/08/20 - 15:34 #39
    Laurel1ne wrote: »
    Surely your mother/partner have a copy of the original contract and can prove that those bits added were not part of the contract they signed ?

This thread died four years ago. Let it RIP.
  • Options
    Laurel1neLaurel1ne Posts: 15,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Laurel1ne wrote: »

This thread died four years ago. Let it RIP.

/* Oops sorry :blush:
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 12/08/20 - 23:13 #41
    Doh..!
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Seriously ? They are only in their 60's and first they go off without vital medication and then get scammed by crooks ? They really really should be a bit more alert when traveling

Four year old post
  • Options
    Phil_AnthropistPhil_Anthropist Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Four year old post

Bugger the medication, what about the £800?
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nigelb1972 wrote: »
    We've just been approached by these guys and had a 2 hour tour and talk about the hotel and the facilities etc. Now if the chap who showed us around and did the initial presentation, we'd have probably bought from him. His boss came out and was very pushy and arrogant. When I gave a firm no and said that I'm not agreeing anything now he became quite rude and stomped off. We took our €30 cash, necklace and perfume and went for lunch with the cash.
    The scheme actually seems attractive but is let down by shady sales practices. All I can say is that Sean aka the knobhead talked Mike who was a lovely welsh chap out of a sale. If they tidied up their sales approach, they may actually be on to a winner but as long as Sean is involved, it's a no no...

Since you brought up this thread, what advice were you after?
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,851
    Administrator
    Hi

This thread is 4 years old and bumping it may cause confusion as it's outdated. Please start a new thread if you wish to discuss a similar topic. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.