O2 is broken... again

Comments

• GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    It will be, phones periodically re-authenticate with the core network from time to time. If they can't then you'll lose network, so it can be fine for ages until your phone needs to do that, then it'll drop off the network.

People keep saying it's ok in [insert town], but it's nothing to do with local cells it's a core network issue. Phones will drop off the network intermittently until it's fixed, which they say is 9PM now.

Thanks.

Hopefully it will be back soon.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Mine was back up, but in the time it took me to come back to this thread to say so, it's gone again
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks.

Hopefully it will be back soon.

Hopefully, they say 9PM now, but they originally marked it as fixed then corrected that mid-afternoon. They also said it would be fixed by 4:30PM.

So whether it will get fixed by 9 who knows. It's very interesting that it happens to have coincided with the release today of a new denial of service attack on network HLR's that has been spoken about by a network penetration tester!

http://it.slashdot.org/story/12/10/12/1310224/lone-packet-crashes-telco-networks
    "A penetration tester has shown that GSM communications systems can be taken down with a handful of malformed packets. The weakness was in the lack of security around the Home Location Register server clusters

I wonder if the two are related, as this issue sounds so much like a HLR issue. I doubt it, but it's a possibility and I bet O2 wouldn't admit it even if that was the case.
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MIne JUST came back on 2 mins ago :D
  • Lord KramLord Kram Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Well mine is working, but its on and off at the moment, just tried sending a text, but it failed, calls seems to be working, then tried to send a text again, this time it sent
    Signal is fluctuating quite a bit though, doesnt look like its properly sorted yet!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    MIne JUST came back on 2 mins ago :D

It may very well go again, that's what people are reporting.
  • wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine was back earlier, seems to have gone down again now.

EDIT: Back again now.
  • annies1annies1 Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is still off. Tried switching to 2G and nothing, this is my first weekend of a new job on call! I have now probably missed emergency calls leaving vunerable and elderly people without a home visit PLUS the money for those calls that I shall miss and I wont get paid to be on stand by if no one can get in contact, what a bloody farce.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My signal appears to be back. I received 2 texts from 4:30pm and 4:24pm. It's still there but I haven't tested it to see if messages send.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    annies1 wrote: »
    Mine is still off. Tried switching to 2G and nothing, this is my first weekend of a new job on call! I have now probably missed emergency calls leaving vunerable and elderly people without a home visit PLUS the money for those calls that I shall miss and I wont get paid to be on stand by if no one can get in contact, what a bloody farce.

The disruption to businesses is terrible, especially with it being the 3rd widespread outage this year.

Last time the news reports said that the prison service couldn't keep track of offenders as O2 provides the service to the tags. The Boris bikes couldn't be used as they rely on credit card transactions handled by O2, and of course many on call services, plumers, locksmiths, vets, doctors, and services like yours all get affected.

The personal effect is bad too, I read on the Giffgaff forum somebody who's going on a 1st date tonight and can't contact the person, somebody who couldn't get picked up from the station and had to walk a long distance with heavy bags, etc.

Whilst things like this can happen occasionally you would hope they are once in a blue moon and are resolved as quickly as possible, however O2 has failed it's customers badly for the 3rd time this year.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It came back but now its gone off again :(
  • OakOak Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's still down.
  • toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was another that sang o2's praises, as I never had issues getting 3g wherever I went, but since the first big failure in June or whenever it was, my signal hasn't been right, imessages failing, calls going straight to voicemail and now this failure today

Will be different network shopping tomorrow...Had enough of them now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2 have marked it as fixed, but say that due to high usage at peak time they are still struggling to keep the network up.

http://news.o2.co.uk/2012/10/12/o2-network-distruption-12-october/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Mine's kind of working but not. I have no problem receiving/sending texts but have problems sending/receiving calls.

I wasn't affected the other times O2 has gone down, so maybe it was my turn :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Q. What has gone wrong?
    A. One of our network nodes which help connect and manage traffic, failed at lunchtime today. This meant that a number of our customers have had difficulty connecting to our network to make calls or use data. A fix was found by 3.30pm and since then we have been reconnecting customers systematically. We are working as quickly as we can to restore service to everyone.

Q. Why did you not have the necessary resilience?
    A. We have extensive continuity plans which we brought into effect to restore service as quickly as we could. In this instance, a fix was found in three hours and we were able to start reconnecting customers systematically from 3.30pm this afternoon. However, are having to address the backlog of traffic to fully restore service.

Well those are lies as they opened the fault at 9:20AM, with users reporting problems an hour or so before that, and it's 9PM now. So to say the fault happened at "lunchtime", fixed by 3PM is just an out and out lie.

You can check the time they reported the issue on the status page.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I switched network last month.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too busy coming up with ideas for making money out of flogging your location data, rather than working on the reliability issues for service you actually pay them to provide.

Don't forget whinging about LTE because someone else is trying to get on and keep with the times, while others seem to think sticking plasters all over GSM will do...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's one thing to cock up it's another to just tell bare faced lies. 9:20AM is not lunchtime and it wasn't fixed at 3PM, it's still not working for a lot of people now.

That is a disgraceful post from O2.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    It's one thing to cock up it's another to just tell bare faced lies. 9:20AM is not lunchtime and it wasn't fixed at 3PM, it's still not working for a lot of people now.

That is a disgraceful post from O2.

Read what o2 said - they said they started reconnecting people at 3.30pm not that the service was fully restored.

Hardly a 'disgraceful' post.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Yes, all networks have problems, but why are O2 SO much worse than the rest?

They don't seem to invest in their network. They're last for 3G coverage (no investment), have no real plans for 4G (maybe they'll spend some money on getting some licences), don't even have EDGE (if they've been replacing equipment as it gets old you'd think that EDGE would be turned on), and constantly have network issues.

Their money is spent on getting exclusives (like the iPhone) and lawyers and PR to combat against companies who try to invest in their networks.

But people sign up for them because they get a few freebies or they might be marginally cheaper (especially if you go for the cesspit that is giffgaff) instead of using a proper network. I don't really have time to scour the GG forums but I'd bet there's more than a smattering of "I run my business on giffgaff and I've lost some thanks to this, it's disgraceful blah blah" from the cheapskates. It's hilarious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Read what o2 said - they said they started reconnecting people at 3.30pm not that the service was fully restored.

Hardly a 'disgraceful' post.

No read what I said, they say the fault happened at "lunchtime", it didn't as if you check the status page it was opened at 9:20AM.

http://status.o2.co.uk/
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame this doesn't happen once a month, I could get used to get 10% refunded off my bill each month. The last time I didn't even notice any problems same as this time.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is off and on. Still not working properly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    m4tt24 wrote: »
    It's a shame this doesn't happen once a month, I could get used to get 10% refunded off my bill each month. The last time I didn't even notice any problems same as this time.

It must be costing them a fortune in compensation to consumers and businesses. It'll be interesting to see what the CEO has got to say this time.

Can he just stand there and say sorry again in front of the cameras, or will he have to step down this time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18821395

What went wrong? quote "One of our network nodes which help connect and manage traffic, failed", so they have single points of failure and a single node takes down the network in this way.

What a joke.