Andrew Loud Whinger

henderohendero Posts: 11,773
Forum Member
✭✭
Not content with the BBC providing (another) free platform to help promote one of his West End shows, Andrew Lloyd Webber is apparently trying to argue the new programme should be caleld "The Oz Factor".

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a196335/lloyd-webber-fights-with-bbc-over-title.html

Nul points for originality over the proposed name, but then a musical based on the Wizard of Oz isn't exactly a new concept. He probably also wants Simon Cowell and Danni Minogue to be judges. Hopefully the BBC will stick to their guns and tell him where to get off.

If any of the story is true, that is.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't that sound kinda like the X-Factor?

Oz Factor vs. X-Factor, I'm with the beeb over this title thing!

And agreed, I too question whether he should get more BBC airtime to promote his musicals. Isn't this the same-old, same-old? Once was enough thanks.

Find something better to do with the licence money than more Andrew Lloyd Webber.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »

......If any of the story is true, that is.

Well it does feature the quote "According to The Mirror...":rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I'm sure I'll still be slapped with the BBC-lover label in the future, this is one thing I really do think the BBC should not be involved with. The commercial gain Lloyd Webber gets from shows like this is simply not acceptable from a BBC base (imo).

I've no objection to light entertainment on a Saturday night on the BBC - but the commercial benefit to Lloyd Webber and his Really Useful outfit isn't on.

(for what it's worth, the actual Mirror story could be balls, but that's not the important point...)
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vertigo93 wrote: »
    While I'm sure I'll still be slapped with the BBC-lover label in the future, this is one thing I really do think the BBC should not be involved with. The commercial gain Lloyd Webber gets from shows like this is simply not acceptable from a BBC base (imo).

I've no objection to light entertainment on a Saturday night on the BBC - but the commercial benefit to Lloyd Webber and his Really Useful outfit isn't on.

(for what it's worth, the actual Mirror story could be balls, but that's not the important point...)

Must be a strange day on the DS forums, because I'm actually not too bothered by the BBC having on this type of programme. It encourages more people to go to the theatre, which IMO is generally a good thing. It would be nice if ALW would do the decent thing and make a contribution of let's say £100k to either the BBC or a charity chosen by the BBC to say thanks for the additional income he will almost certainly receive because of the TV programme. Or at least not be an ungrateful moaner about the title the show gets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Must be a strange day on the DS forums, because I'm actually not too bothered by the BBC having on this type of programme.

My God, it's Superman's Bizarro World!
  • sally ksally k Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    The story is true, its been ''borrowed'' from an article he wrote for the sunday mail about surviving cancer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1241863/ANDREW-LLOYD-WEBBER-Love-Never-Dies--heres-I-nearly-did.html
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds more like a light hearted, jokey, throw away comment than a serious one to me.