How long do you wait until you propose?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Were both 30 - so definately think the time is right for us both. I just didnt want to be seen as one of those too eager ones, this really means something and id be looking at 2014 for the wedding. Money isnt the issue, thats why it all seems perfect in the situation we are in and to me it feels like the right time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcus84 wrote: »
    Were both 30 - so definately think the time is right for us both. I just didnt want to be seen as one of those too eager ones, this really means something and id be looking at 2014 for the wedding. Money isnt the issue, thats why it all seems perfect in the situation we are in and to me it feels like the right time.

In that case, ask her :). Just avoid Paris! I feel sorry for men, feeling they have to make a massive grand gesture. The proposal already is a massive grand gesture. Do what is right for you both, the minute you suggest something massively different to do she may guess. Good luck :)
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Just a note, if shes expecting and wanting a proposal, dont take her to really romantic perfect places unless you are going to propose.

I know someone who suspected they were going to get engaged as they found a ring website added to their internets favourite page. She got her hopes up each time they went to a quiet restauarant and when they went on holiday. In the end her proposal was in a lay by when her partner had stopped to wee in a field! He hadnt planned proposing romantically but she had in her head that there was going to be a candle lit romantic meal on a beach abroad.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no magic formula. I'm an early one, did one after three days (it lasted three months!) and another after three months, we've just celebrated ten years together and our second wedding anniversary after putting the actual deed off for a while (started living together after a year).

When it's right, it's right.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member

have you actually asked her what she wants? You may think you are ready but is she? Have you actually talked to her about marriage etc
  • TaomiTaomi Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Age and money have nothing to do with it being the right time - its how you feel and why you want to do it that's important
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who was 30 and had been dating this guy for a year. She expected him to propose on one of those special occasions (NY/Valentines?) but he didn't. She was upset and they broke up. They got back together after he'd proposed to her and they're now married.
  • GoodLuckCharmGoodLuckCharm Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I'd say when it feels right and it's practical...My OH and I would ideally get married tomorrow but we've decided to wait til we're in a better financial position (although I'm so excited!!) yet we spoke about getting married after less than 3 months together - if it feels right, then do it!!

Good Luck!! x
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you live together and you're both 30 then yes go for it!

I dont want to generalise but a lot of women at 30 are thinking they want to tie the knot soon and you'll probably be 31/32 by the time wedding comes around
  • TaomiTaomi Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boab34 wrote: »
    I have a friend who was 30 and had been dating this guy for a year. She expected him to propose on one of those special occasions (NY/Valentines?) but he didn't. She was upset and they broke up. They got back together after he'd proposed to her and they're now married.

I also had a friend that convinced herself her boyfriend of 2 years was going to propose at Christmas. When he didn’t she was gutted and we think she made his life hell for a week and he ended up proposing on NYE. They had a party within weeks and then were split within a year. Sometimes people do get caught up in the excitement and sadly are more excited at the thought of a WEDDING rather than a MARRIAGE

Not that I am saying that you are OP
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly wait till after you've finished having sex.

Not only is making decisions off putting, but nobody can be held to a promise made while shagging. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    I proposed after 6 months and we have been married 45 years.

My best buddy dated the same girl for about 5 years, got married and were separated within a year or so.

There is no perfect recipe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once you've been together for about a year I don't think anyone would suggest you're rushing into things.

A friend of mine and her fiance had an engagement of exactly a year, they married on the date he'd proposed.