Why do I have to let them in my home??????

Comments

• Steve_MiddllingSteve_Middlling Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I think I had another visit tonight from the TV licence sales man? A strange looking man came knocking at 17.33, but this time he did not post anything so this makes me wonder if he really is TV man? He did however have a handheld device with him that he kept fiddling with? I do not think it looked like any kind of detector device it looked more like a credit card reader type thing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I had another visit tonight from the TV licence sales man? A strange looking man came knocking at 17.33, but this time he did not post anything so this makes me wonder if he really is TV man? He did however have a handheld device with him that he kept fiddling with? I do not think it looked like any kind of detector device it looked more like a credit card reader type thing?
    Why didn't you just answer the door and find out? As almost everyone has explained to you many times, you don't have to let a TVL inspector in - although it might have been a little awkward if he'd discovered that you were secretly watching Pointless.

Do you make a habit of ignoring people who come to your door? What have you got to hide?
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is there any kind of checks done on these people by the BBC to make sure a poor pensioner isn't having her property cased by some dodgy ponce.
  • Steve_MiddllingSteve_Middlling Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Mickey S wrote: »
    Why didn't you just answer the door and find out? As almost everyone has explained to you many times, you don't have to let a TVL inspector in - although it might have been a little awkward if he'd discovered that you were secretly watching Pointless.

Do you make a habit of ignoring people who come to your door? What have you got to hide?

I wish I could have, but I was out and only knew he had been by checking my cctv (he never posted anything).:confused:
  • RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I make a habit of ignoring people who come to the door all the time. Who are you to suggest that i shouldn't?!
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    dynamics wrote: »
    I take it, by the fact that you are still posting, that your ISP has totally ignored Sao Paulos idle threats?:D
    To be fair, it's not even been a week. They might take some time to get around to it :)
  • HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Why do you not have a problem with those who attack it all the time?

I only have a "problem" with people claiming not to be bothered, but are then bothered enough to come here everyday to defend the thing they are supposedly not bothered about...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Budget cuts to the TV don't do the license payer any good though, all they see is the result of the cuts.

So, why is it a "good plan"?

Because either the tax can be reduced, or if the tax remains the same then the savings can be spent better elsewhere.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    twogunthom wrote: »
    Is there any kind of checks done on these people by the BBC to make sure a poor pensioner isn't having her property cased by some dodgy ponce.

Why should the BBC check people who call at houses?

They're not neighbourhood watch.
    Forum Member
    HenryVIII wrote: »
    Yep...

Ok so tell me why.
  • dynamicsdynamics Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though you don't pay it if you have no TV at all.
    Importantly, you don't pay it if you are on low income and pay no income tax, over 60, disabled, or widowed.

And this year the government cut France Television funding by 3.4%, so be careful what you wish for...

Its alredy being cut effectivey by 15% over the next few years due to the freeze. Whats your point.

Council tax is an obvious and simple solution. There are exemptions and benefits for those that really cant afford. However I think like any other public service, individual usage is irrelevant, so all that can, should contribute.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because either the tax can be reduced, or if the tax remains the same then the savings can be spent better elsewhere.

Well, if we cut many public services, tax could be reduced. Doesnt make it a good idea.

Better elsewhere? Thats a subjective opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Steve (AKA feckthebbc), dont you think your reaction is somewhat paranoid? I wouldnt worry, you dont have to buy a licence from the salesman unless you legally need one;)

Also, didnt you guys were reckon detectors are imaginary?:D
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should the BBC check people who call at houses?

They're not neighbourhood watch.

Because they are sending them to peoples door
  • fast forwardfast forward Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Savings have been made; from next month the Government is no longer funding BBC Monitoring and from next year will no longer fund World Service.

So please ask the Government what they are doing with the money they saved from the so-called freeze (which is actually a cut in real terms) to the BBC budget and if it is being "spent better elsewhere".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Savings have been made; from next month the Government is no longer funding BBC Monitoring and from next year will no longer fund World Service.

So please ask the Government what they are doing with the money they saved from the so-called freeze (which is actually a cut in real terms) to the BBC budget and if it is being "spent better elsewhere".

It was outlined in the budget yesterday. I suggest you read that if you don't know where the government is spending your tax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dynamics wrote: »
    Better elsewhere? Thats a subjective opinion.

Absolutely. And we are all entitled to one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was outlined in the budget yesterday. I suggest you read that if you don't know where the government is spending your tax.

So what you mean is exactly what you have suggested is already happening, but you dont know if it is being put to "better use.
  • Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    Did you miss this
    I think the trouble is certain people on here would like to see that right taken away.
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    Wouldn't your thought be a little more clear if you said what 'right' you are talking about?

Then we could discuss 'certain people here' and their attitude to a specific 'right'!
    or do you think you are under no obligation to substantiate you allegations?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely. And we are all entitled to one.

Sure, so with respect to above, what is you subjective opinion on where this money is being spent instead?
  • fast forwardfast forward Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A rather silly reply, perhaps you need to check what you wrote and why I responded. Or are you just trying to create some smoke and duck the misleading points you made?.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Yes i do, because someone does not open the door to stangers does not mean you have any thing to hide, cctv is just a more modern way of security, like chains on doors. People get feed up of getting up to anwser the door to door to door sales people from loads of differant companys, i lost count how many people i had to to my door from energy companys wanting me to change to them, and other companys. I now longer have a land line phone for the same reason. There is nothing wrong with people wanting privicy in there own home.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Yes i do, because someone does not open the door to stangers does not mean you have any thing to hide, cctv is just a more modern way of security, like chains on doors. People get feed up of getting up to anwser the door to door to door sales people from loads of differant companys, i lost count how many people i had to to my door from energy companys wanting me to change to them, and other companys. I now longer have a land line phone for the same reason. There is nothing wrong with people wanting privicy in there own home.
    No but not opening the door does make you look like you have something to hide, whether you have or not.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    R410 wrote: »
    No but not opening the door does make you look like you have something to hide, whether you have or not.

Why does it
    Forum Member

Dodgy people casing OAP's houses, are you sure of that?