EE Revamps PAYG with 4G packs from £1 a week

jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Press release this morning from EE:
EE revamps Pay As You Go market with 4G packs from £1 a week

· EE introduces new range of best value packs – designed to transform the UK pay as you go market
· The UK’s first £1 pay as you go pack unveiled, offering exceptional flexibility and value for money
· New packs come with 4G included, as well as the option of additional free data, texts or calls every three months

Wednesday 3rd September, 2014, London – EE, the UK’s most advanced digital communications company, today launched a range of market leading Pay As You Go (PAYG) packs with 4G included in all at no extra cost – starting from just £1 per week. The new packs are set to transform the way consumers purchase PAYG, and have been designed to combine EE’s market-leading 4G performance with outstanding value, enabling even more customers to enjoy superfast mobile connectivity on the UK’s biggest, fastest and most reliable network.

Available immediately from EE shops, EE telesales and via the EE web site, the new packs offer market leading value to the 40% of mobile users who want the control and flexibility of PAYG.

The packs have been created to reflect how customers typically use their phones, offering simple, transparent pricing. For added ease, the new packs have been split into three categories, representing the three most common customer usage patterns with allowances weighted towards what customers want to use (Talk and Text Packs, Data Packs and Everything Packs) – meaning they don’t have to pay for things they don’t need.

Providing unprecedented value for money, EE customers will also have the reassurance that they have access to the UK’s award winning, biggest, fastest and most reliable mobile network. What’s more, 70% of mobile PAYG users spend less than £10 per month, so for the first time across the industry, EE is offering a choice of PAYG packs for just £1 per week, providing increased flexibility to meet customer need.

EE has put control at the heart of its new range of packs - with customers never able to go over their data allowance. If they do use it up, then they can purchase one of the great value add-ons to extend it as needed.
And as if that wasn’t enough, EE PAYG customers who get their pack each week or month for three months, can add even more of what they like to use in their pack, for example a customer on a new 30 day pack can choose between an extra 250MB of data, 50 minutes of any network calls or 250 texts at no extra cost. EE PAYG customers also get up to £20 off a new phone from an EE shop once they’ve been using our services for at least three months, as well as access to great EE benefits, including EE Wednesdays, offering 2-4-1 deals on cinema tickets and EE Tickets.

The new packs are available across all EE retail channels immediately. Customers looking for more information can visit www.ee.co.uk/payg

To me it seems like it's made to become more confusing than necessary (something EE seems to like doing) and once you've added a pack, they auto renew until you stop them or run out of credit (Quote from EE website: "We’ll add a new pack automatically every 7 or 30 days and take the cost of the pack from your credit. If you don't have enough credit for your next pack we'll let you know, so you can top up and start it again straight away. Easy.").

Why does the EE site say that when it says "If they do use it up, then they can purchase one of the great value add-ons to extend it as needed" in the release above? One of the benefits of PAYG is that you could have a second phone/tablet and just buy a pack as a one-off, and not want it renewing afterwards without your knowledge and when you don't need more data/calls. If you have to remember to cancel your pack, that's going to be a major hassle for many users.

The prices also seem the same, but instead of just buying data you now get calls and texts (including unlimited texts on some) and if you keep paying, you can get free boosts of data, calls, texts if you keep paying for at least three months - or a discount on a new phone once you've been using the services for at least three months.

The "don't have to pay for things they don't need" bit in the release is odd though. Buy a data pack and you're buying 10 minutes and texts. I don't need them, and would rather more data!

Comments

• japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE have a comparison chart that suggests other networks are better value at all the price points compared!

http://ee.co.uk/content/dam/everything-everywhere/Newsroom/Official%20imagery/EE%20Direct%20Tariff%20Comparison.jpg
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »
    EE have a comparison chart that suggests other networks are better value at all the price points compared!

http://ee.co.uk/content/dam/everything-everywhere/Newsroom/Official%20imagery/EE%20Direct%20Tariff%20Comparison.jpg

Whoever made this pack should just quit.

there are so many mistakes to do with GiffGaff and Vodafone.

GiffGaff don't do 4G.
    Vodafone do 4G
    GiffGaff's tariffs are wrong
    Vodafones tariffs are missing.

And to top it off, the table is designed in such a way that it makes EE look terrible. Plus why is Giff Gaff on there and not Tesco or Virgin.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Three, 100MB would cost a £1 but whether you used it in a day, a week or a year - that's all you'd pay. Of course, you wouldn't get the incredibly generous 10 voice calls or 10 texts.

And for a £5 top up, you'd get 150MB on top for free. Instantly, not after three months of having paid £1 (or whatever) a week.

Very odd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe EE could complain to the ASA about their own ads unfairly making them look bad.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the only 4G PAYG data plan is 100MB? where are all the rest?
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

They offer 2GB for £15 and 4GB for £25.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can get 500MB for £10, 2GB for £15 or 4GB for £25.

EE PAYG is still just a confusing mix of add-ons/bundles/packs. They need to simplify it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have to buy packs with minutes and texts.

Oh wait, didn't EE say something about not buying things you didn't need???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    You have to buy packs with minutes and texts.

Oh wait, didn't EE say something about not buying things you didn't need???

But they have a separate tab for data packs at http://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/pay-as-you-go/about-packs

I assumed this would be a choice of data only packs but we have

Everything packs which include minutes, texts and data. Understood
    Talk and text packs which include minutes and texts. Understood.
    Data pack which includes minutes, texts and data??:confused: Why is this not an everything pack?
    Forum Member
    Data pack which includes minutes, texts and data??:confused: Why is this not an everything pack?

http://thehubnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/mysteries_of_the_universe.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they have a separate tab for data packs at http://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/pay-as-you-go/about-packs

I assumed this would be a choice of data only packs but we have

Everything packs which include minutes, texts and data. Understood
    Talk and text packs which include minutes and texts. Understood.

Look closer and you'll find that they give you 10MB of data on the Talk & Text packs too. As I said on my blog, that's as good as no data on a 4G network. In fact, what's a 100MB good for?

So actually you DO pay for stuff you may not want on quite a few packs.
    Forum Member
    Look closer and you'll find that they give you 10MB of data on the Talk & Text packs too. As I said on my blog, that's as good as no data on a 4G network. In fact, what's a 100MB good for?

So actually you DO pay for stuff you may not want on quite a few packs.

10MB is actually quite a lot..... back in 1983....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you're saying in fact all the packs are everything, everywhere you look?
    Forum Member
    So you're saying in fact all the packs are everything, everywhere you look?

I'll get your coat...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I'll get your coat...

An EE marketing bod stole it earlier today...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's any consolation, I believe RootMetrics just awarded EE the best pay as you go tariffs and add-on packs award today....
    Forum Member
    If it's any consolation, I believe RootMetrics just awarded EE the best pay as you go tariffs and add-on packs award today....

I'm so close to posting the GIF again....
  • Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    This is an awesome deal, at least they are becoming like 10x more competitive.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offence to anyone on EE but are they just trying to attract the most gullible?

Like when 4G first came out, get 1GB for £50 a month on a 2 year contract, or something ridiculous like that! :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must assume that people regard EE as having the best 4G, which it does. But offering 100MB is crazy and 10MB? Sheer lunacy.

All they really did was announce some pointless packs and then make the add ons automatically renew until all your money is gone. Then you top up and repeat.
  • DarreninessexDarreninessex Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    If I want data only.....then I still have to buy a pack that includes talk and text ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. But it's only 10 minutes.

Reminds me of an old greasy spoon that always put a couple of chips on your plate no matter what you ordered.

Maybe EE got the idea from a cafe, although my other theory is they got the idea after a night out on the sauce.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Good value if someone ran out and for a temporary measure, but in time this had to happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a separate talk/text pack for £1 though, with 10MB of data.
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything, this is a great way to test out EE's network for £1. Any ideas if PAYG works on double speed?