Options

Paris - Euros?

malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm off to Paris on Friday (whoo hoo!) but am not sure what to do about euros. Do I get all my spending money in Euros before I go? Or do I take £100 or so and then use my debit card for purchases when out there?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would take Euro and a card just incase.
    If your going to use the metro you will need to buy a metro card when you arrive, trip adviser has lots of good, helpful advice.
    I can't remember seeing any exchange bureaus, but I guess I wasn't looking for them, but I'm sure they will have them at airports and eurostar station.
    If you change your money here you can shop around for the best deal, you don't want to waste your break.
    Have a great time.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    France is good for accepting credit/debit cards in most places and ATMs are plentiful in Paris.

I'd avoid changing money at airports or ferry terminals. They're rip off places!! The post office is one to avoid too. Places like M&S, Sainsbury's and Eurochange have the best rates.

Enjoy your stay!!
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! I'm starting to get excited now, the Christmas lights will be up too. I guess I can just draw extra euros out at the atm, and I'll take some cash with me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check your local travel agents for Euro bundle deals. You can get a fair few extra bob if you're lucky enough to find one. Lots cheaper than doing it randomly over the counter and paying ATM fees.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Remember that if you pay for things abroad using a UK card, you'll be paying a flat fee for every single transaction, a percentage commission for the purchase and the currency exchange will be calculated using the bank's own rates rather than the official rate.

Just walking around buying a few things from a few shops, having a coffee, lunch, a couple of rounds in a bar and other stuff can result in you throwing loads of money away.
  • Options
    StockingsStockings Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Be very, very careful about using cash points in Paris as the place is full of undesirable East European types, ready to rob you blind.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember that if you pay for things abroad using a UK card, you'll be paying a flat fee for every single transaction, a percentage commission for the purchase and the currency exchange will be calculated using the bank's own rates rather than the official rate.

Just walking around buying a few things from a few shops, having a coffee, lunch, a couple of rounds in a bar and other stuff can result in you throwing loads of money away.

It depends on which card you use. Some are good for foreign use and can be cheaper than changing cash while others are terrible.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Personally, I never change money before going abroad. I just walk to the nearest cash machine I see and withdraw what I need. Plus I often have some left over from my previous trip.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the rate exchange with my bank using the card to be very good the only issue was I get charged a transaction fee each time your use it. So the best idea is to take out enough money while your over their to cover costs of meals / days out. While your in the hotel ask them to charge everything to the room then just pay the one big bill at the end.

I would suggest if possible taking some money with you just in case you need to get a drink or pay for something before you get to an ATM. However as it is paris and eurostar you dont have the issue of paying for taxis or finding ATM's in paris wont be an issue.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have a Post Office credit card. No charges for overseas use. Very useful buying stuff online in foreign currencies as well.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    France is good for accepting credit/debit cards in most places and ATMs are plentiful in Paris.

I'd avoid changing money at airports or ferry terminals. They're rip off places!! The post office is one to avoid too. Places like M&S, Sainsbury's and Eurochange have the best rates.

Enjoy your stay!!

If you order the money to collect at the airport you get a decent rate though.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in my experience credit cards convert at about the same rate as buying currency. definitely no dearer. used them for shopping/petrol/autoroutes etc. petrol and autoroutes are increasingly non-attended service.

we used to get a single rate, but last year there were two charges every time - a basic currency conversion, and a 3% processing charge. Still no dearer adding both the charges together.

we bought currency from the coop last year - they did a rate match for me.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you happen to work in London then these people are as good as it gets.

https://www.bestforeignexchange.com/contact-us.php